main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How Has The JCC Impacted Your Life?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've met some of the most wonderful people from the JCC and they've become some of my closest friends. They've impacted me by enriching my life.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This topic reminded me of the following very sweet anecdote from Diggy about the time we both went to England and stayed with his parents.
    He'll hate it that I just called him sweet but there you go.

How has the JCC impacted Diggy's life?

Rew, Sarge, Healer_Leona and 9 others like this.
  3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Aaawwww

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I like that that story reads like they hugged because drugs are awesome

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    So, err, I met a bunch of people here back in 2011 when @anakinfansince1983 was ragging on Ahsoka and I was ragging on the Clone Wars micro-series by Genndy Tarkovsky (and the man himself) and @QuangoFett was ragging on Blue Boba Fett and @Jedi Merkurian was ragging on me for being a young forum delinquent and @Trebor Sabreon was ragging on Stupid Hat Man That Filoni Likes So Much and @PrincessKenobi was ragging on Theon Greyjoy back when people thought Game of Thrones was good and @Force Smuggler was ragging on TCW and @Darth_Pevra was ragging on the entire franchise for preferring one-man dog-fighting fighter planes starfighters (over underrated space/aerial bombers) and @Darth Chiznuk was probably ragging on his home-state of Tennessee like he probably is doing right now today and @GrandAdmiralJello was ragging on people for constantly spoiling the A Song of Ice and Fire material in the Game of Thrones material thread (or vice versa, mostly in regard to me) and @LunarMoth still believed that his Lord and Sith Lord Darth Plagueis was Supreme Leader Snoke and @darklordoftech was ragging on the old Legends EU and @Seerow was ragging on the Star Wars prequels and...

Well, you get the point.

Honestly, it's been a nice ride; this was one of the very first forums that I went to so, yeah, thanks everyone. I'm currently wrapping up university and have myself a nice job to keep me busy. Other than that, did the Jedi Council Forums impact my life in any way? To a degree, certainly. Yes, this is just a forum that I go to, but honestly, it kinda served as a place to formulate my thoughts on writing/story-telling and it pretty much taught me "Internet etiquette" as the first social media I ever went to was incredibly toxic. Other than that: I didn't have many friends during my childhood/adolescence. I do now, but back then, this was basically how I passed time.

Yeah, yeah, it's sappy and nobody should be getting emotional support from some Internet forum, but I took what I could get. I certainly landed on my own two feet later on and, well, yeah, there's not much more to say it than that; this is honestly the best forum for talking about Star Wars compared to other social media spaces regarding the franchise. In fact, this forum is probably the best depository for knowledge and discussion about the franchise and it got me to appreciate everything about it and its influences a lot more, including other media and franchises besides George Lucas's flagship series. Quite frankly: not only is this the oldest account on an Internet forum that I have, this is also literally the best forum out there when it comes to fiction, tbh, because I genuinely have never had any problems here except for when I was first starting out (back when I was incredibly defensive of TCW and George Lucas and kinda-sorta the prequels).

I tagged all these people to basically thank them (I didn't want to mention them behind their back, though I could take away the tags if y'all want). It's been a nice ride, honestly, again, as sappy as it is for me to type all this. Really though, it's no big deal 'cause I enjoy typing all this out. I've been on other forums and social media spaces, but this is the one that I've been on the longest and that genuinely sticks out to me out of all of them.

Mostly though: I just plain love Star Wars. Have liked it since I first saw the original trilogy (I saw those first and then saw the prequels when they came out shortly afterward) and I enjoyed the old Legends EU and the CGI The Clone Wars series (and the in-development-and-now-dead Underworld series that just seemed incredibly ambitious and out-there) is basically what fired up my passion enough to seek out this forum. Also, I was a big fan of the more obscure elements of the "old EU" like the Umbarans (which got their own arc in TCW, thank the Force) and the Sun Guard (which played a more-or-less prominent role in James Luceno's Darth Plagueis novel). Hated the New Jedi Order series because it seemed like the tired "religious fanatics as enemies" trope... though it's not like religious fanaticism is explored that much in the franchise so I can see why that particular aspect of the Yuuzhan Vong would be enticing to a lot of people that wanted something different, though I felt that the design choice was uninspiring and telling the series in 19 whole books was a bit... much, especially when many Star Wars books used the time and book-length they had to tell more than those 19 books; it was excessive. Also, as someone that's not really "Western" in terms of background, I suppose I felt that the characters were "too white" (yes, even before the 2010s rolled along and the drive to have more BIPOC, female, LGBTQ, etc. characters became a standard).

Basically, in sum, this was a forum that I could use as an outlet since, during the earlier years I was here, I just simply didn't have many friends and in many ways this forum gave a vent to my passion for Star Wars and its influences (Japanese/Soviet film, mythology, etc., all of which I'm interested in). And I could actually talk about this stuff whereas I didn't... really have much of an outlet for discussing all of what I said with my family and the few friends/acquaintances I had back then. Now I do, of course, but I was a shy/depressive kid and social media (particularly and mainly this forum as I didn't go to many other forums) was how I sort of formulated my thoughts, conversed with others, developed social skills (as much as could be expected from an Internet forum), learned to type fast, learned to write in both a technical and literary sense, and was exposed to new ideas.

Again: this is just an Internet forum at the end of the day and I don't mean to make it seem bigger than it was for me since it, at the end of the day, "just the Internet," so to speak. There were, of course, other things that I had in my life, but this was an incredibly prominent forum whenever I was on the Internet. I mostly lurk (you can check my post count/like count compared to the nearly 10 years that I've been here) but I always had this page open and I still check here relatively consistently compared to other Internet spaces I've been on.

Honestly, to wrap it all up, if this forum on the Internet didn't impact me in some way, I wouldn't have felt compelled to tag the people that I did who I really like. It really has been a great time. I look forward to the next 10 more years of this place, and beyond. I'll probably change my avatar soon (this is literally the same one that I've had since I came here) as my 10-year anniversary nears and in commemoration of my time here. But basically: sorry for tagging y'all, but I just wanted to let you know that reading your comments and insight was genuinely great. Some of you have only interacted with me here and there and not much at all, but all the same: as a "lurker," I basically enjoyed just having the tab open and seeing your thoughts on things.

(Again: sorry for the mass tag, I can delete that if you want, but basically: thank you all!)

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    @InterestingLurker

I'm glad that you tagged me and I really do appreciate the sentiment. :) Those were fun times back in the day. You always stood out to me as a really good egg -- one of the more thought-provoking, engaging and personable folks we had in LACWAC-Land. Thanks for that.

If you actually do change that avatar of yours, though, I already know it's gonna throw me for a real loop! To me, that picture is you. :obiwan::bluesaber:

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I see judging by your avatar that you may be a George Lucas appreciator.

I, too, am a Lucas connoisseur. ;)

As for my next avatar, which I plan to adopt soon, let's just say:

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I met a lot of people here and I've actually liked every single one! Also Jello let me sleep on his couch.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    When I was in a car accident and my back got ****ed up, I called @Rylo Ken . Not sure why, but I did. He was pretty comforting. I regularly call @mrsvos , when I am undergoing some ungodly medical procedure--she is quite familiar with post-surgery me. lol

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It introduced me to alot of people I'm happy to have gotten to know, so yeah, it's been good.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The JCC cured me of my love of Star Wars, so I have that going for me.

13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I have good and bad interactions.I bUt mostly good.

My most positive interactions here being with with @Sarge, @Iron_lord ,@Gamiel, @SuperWatto (despite being very different politically), @Jedi Knight Fett is basically my best friend on the boards, and I the preceptor of an order of knights dedicated to protecting @Dandelo q(though that came from the prequel boards.

There are people here especially on the political threads that I do:'t agree with with but respect a ton like @anakinfansince1983, @Ender Sai , and a few others.

I have only ever put two people on ignore which compared to some other message boards I have been active on is very low.

14. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I've been on and off this forum for years and many more just lurking in the shadows just reading.I don't know everyone as well as I should and that's my fault. I'm shy and i find it hard to express myself some times and other times I may express myself to much. All in all this place has been a special place and close to my heart. I come here to see who's posted what in which thread,to see who is arguing with who in the US politics thread. I need to start trying to be more open on here and talk more. In short,I love this place. Also star wars is great LOL:p

Pensivia, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    @anakincol means a lot that you think that. Thanks.

16. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    @InterestingLurker - Glad you mentioned Star Wars. Thats what brought me here(JCF) way back and I always stuck to those threads. Best SW discussions by far anywhere on the web with great debates, opinons, new ideas, new "takes" and a whole bunch of other stuff. Of course, the JCC itself(new for me as of a few months ago) has been interesting for me since Im that "guy" no one likes. Hehehe. Its OK. I enjoy the bantering.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The JCC impacted me like a wisdom tooth. Harrumph.

Pensivia, Lordban and gezvader28 like this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Not even that's true.

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Poor sarge.

Sarge likes this.
  20. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I once spent 4 hours on a bus to Chicago to try and meet up with JCC'ers. I ended up seeing Jello for literally 5 minutes, and then I had to get back on the bus.

Was it worth it?

. . . OF COURSE IT WASN'T WORTH IT, ARE YOU ****ING INSANE?! I spent 8 hours on buses! Those things are like gas station bathrooms on wheels! I caught some kind of virus! The friend who traveled with me got a migraine and almost threw up on me! It was horrible!

Stay out of here, people. And stay off buses.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Everyone log off now. We're done here, forever.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Fine. I rarely log on the JCC while driving to work anyway.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And you got a PUBG buddy to get to top 10s and lose with!

Point Given likes this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Grimby and I have a complicated relationship. He loved to ban me, back in the day, but then he let me sleep on his couch.

poor yorick likes this.
  25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I learned how to see disaster coming around every (political) corner, thanks to @Vaderize03.

Pensivia likes this.