main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Knight of Jedi Ren Sith, Jul 27, 2019.

?

How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

1. The ST has strengthened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm excited about future films/shows.

23.3%
  2. The ST has weakened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm not excited about future films/shows.

55.9%
  3. The ST has had no affect on my interest in the SW franchise. I feel how I've always felt (explain).

20.8%
  1. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Hi, I'm interested in the long term effects the ST has had on people. For me, despite some of the future projects looking good, I've mostly lost interest in Star Wars. Two main reasons for this: 1) the ST repeating too much past iconography in too uncreative a fashion, so much so that I don't feel an interest in watching it for its own sake, and 2) the handling of Luke Skywalker.

Future films and shows could obviously address my first reason; they could create new iconography that makes me desire to watch them, or they could repeat past imagery in a way that feels new and exciting. However, even so, I'd still feel a lack of interest for reason 2; after a company is willing to destroy one of their main, beloved characters in a fashion that makes me dislike the story, and also, in a way that seems illogical and artificial to me, I simply have little motivation to try out a whole new set of characters, to invest anytime in characters who future writers can simply conveniently destroy if it suits their short term goals.

Anyway, I want to see how many people feel the same, and maybe I want to see if there's any hope for my attitude changing. I'd love to retain an interest in one of my favorite worlds, but right now it just seems pointless.

PRO EDIT: Let's be clear. This thread will not be used to insist anyone defend their position one way or the other. There is no right answer. Anyone is free to elaborate if they want, but no pressuring, and keep it friendly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    After the post-NJO, a fresh start could have rekindled my love, but then the ST came along (even worse than the post-NJO) and stomped it out for good. I might have gotten back into the EU after several years away, I was hoping the new movies would provide a spark (lol), but then I saw TFA and decided not to bother with any of it. There's really nothing from the ST that interests me, not even the old characters I once loved.

It's amazing how the ST basically ruined all the old characters. It's amazing that they took Han, Luke, and even Yoda and made them unappealing. They brought back Chewie only to do nothing with him. I liked Carrie as Leia (if not the character herself in the ST), she has her moments when I can see the old spark in her, but then Carrie died. Not the ST's fault (or maybe it is), but she's gone and the character died with her.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Strengthend significantly. I am very excited for TROS, and the future for Star Wars. It’s a great time to be a Star Wars fan!!

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's weird.

If I considered the ST representative of the whole of the new Disney product, it'd be a problem.

As it is? It isn't. The other era products are streets ahead of their ST equivalents.

If I look to the PT too, it isn't greatest set of films but it sparked a whole lot of stories I really enjoyed, which in turn helped those films too. The same might happen with the ST, once TROS is out and the restrictions lifted on other medium material, but the problematic elements will remain, albeit diminished. That's probably the best I can hope for.

5. Discipulus

Discipulus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 1, 2019
    I think seeing the aging OT characters prompted me to return more frequently to the post-ROTJ books in the EU timeline. When I imagine Grand Master Luke from the latest points in the EU timeline, I now picture something resembling TLJ Luke rather than the unconvincingly middle-aged Luke often used on the books' cover art. That aside, the ST hasn't really deepened my engagement with Star Wars. I think Rogue One and Solo did, though.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I think the big problem I've had with the ST is that they felt the need to follow in the footsteps of the EU novels, starting with "Vector Prime". Specifically, I mean the need to go "darker & edgier & grittier" in the story. It's not enough that, eventually, another group of bad guys arrived and the galaxy was in peril. They had to make things so dark & tragic that it's like the good guys' efforts were utterly in vain. The ST went even further, showing that our heroes directly fouled things up, leaving the new heroes to clean up the mess.
    I'm not saying this has ruined the whole franchise for me. I can easily just ignore the stories I don't like. But this is the first time I'm not really excited about the upcoming release of a "Star Wars" movie. My anticipation of upcoming movies was, previously, an emotional response. ("I can't wait to see the new one! What's going to happen next?") Now, my anticipation of TROS is pretty much just intellectual. ("They really wrote themselves into a corner. How are they going to fix it?")
    As far as upcoming projects are concerned, I'm really not sure. Outside of the ST, I liked "Rogue One", and "Solo" is my favorite of the Disney Era projects. But the ST has kind of dampened my hopes for the future, for now. I'll have to wait and see how TROS turns out to know for sure if we're on the verge of an upswing.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Probably interested me more.

To quote a friend, it's not like the EU was bad...I just didn't care....and now I do.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It hasn't made me like the old films less BUT
    it makes me a bit sad that Luke and Han regressed so much after growing so much in the OT. Yes characters have obstacles and regress but for them to regress so much...yikes.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Interesting poll topic. I chose the third option since it seemed closest to my current feelings, but if you'd asked me even a year ago my answer would've been quite different. I actually went through my biggest "crisis" with regard to the Sequel Trilogy after a saw TFA for the first time in theaters. It just all felt so nihilistic to me as if the bleakest possible outcomes for the galaxy as a whole and the heroes we had loved from the Original Trilogy had been taken as the path forward from ROTJ. We had a new Empire (given a quick repaint as the First Order), a new Rebel Alliance (but called the Resistance), Leia had failed at establishing an enduring New Republic, Luke had failed at establishing a New Jedi Order, Han and Chewie were back to smuggling, Han and Leia had split up, and Han and Leia's son had turned to the Dark Side. It all just felt so pointless, as if nothing achieved in the Original Trilogy had mattered. My brother and I discussed that for probably well over an hour after we returned from seeing the movie together. We also were both disenchanted with how much of the plot was borrowed from ANH. It just didn't feel like the Sequel Trilogy was doing anything to add to the Star Wars story we had both loved since childhood but rather was tearing it down before our eyes. I also had to deal with the fact that I found much of the new canon content released during this era pretty underwhelming. The Aftermath Trilogy had a writing style I couldn't get into at all, for example, and I found the novelization of Force Awakens to be very clunky, in no way enhancing my opinion of the movie as I had hoped it would.

Some of that hollow feeling lessened after Rogue One was released since that film, while dark, wasn't nihilistic and to me led into ANH in such a meaningful way. That gave me faith that Disney could produce Star Wars movies that were meaningful to me, and I began to find Star Wars books in the New Canon that really appealed to me such as those written by Claudia Gray. I enjoyed TLJ slightly more than TFA, but I still felt quite disappointed with it and disconnected from the direction Star Wars seemed to be going in, and I was reluctant to see Solo especially since I was nervous about seeing Han Solo portrayed by anyone not named Harrison Ford. I'm glad I got over those doubts and went to see Solo, though, since I did enjoy that film, even going to see it twice in theaters. That again showed me that I could enjoy films created in the Disney era even if both the Sequel Trilogy films hadn't resonated with me very much.

My current feelings are that even though I'm not the biggest fan of the Sequel Trilogy, I've still been able to enjoy many of the new characters (Rey, Poe, Finn, and even Rose though I know she was unpopular with some fans) and that I'm not going to let my feelings about the Sequel Trilogy taint my feelings toward other eras in the Star Wars universe that I love. The Sequel Trilogy also did inspire the New Canon book Bloodlines, which to me was amazing in how it dealt with Leia's character and the politics of the time between the Original and Sequel Trilogy era. More books of that caliber in that era (possibly one focusing on Luke training Ben, which I've kind of been clamoring for) would be very much to my taste. Two of the books (Force Collector and Resistance Reborn) that are part of the lead up to TROS sound like they could be amazing reads to me, and I've preordered both from Amazon. Also books like Master and Apprentice and Queen's Shadow set in my favorite Star Wars era have really helped sell me on the New Canon, especially since I've been re-reading more of the old EU and finding that I can still really enjoy those stories despite the fact that they aren't canon any more.

The Star Wars universe I've been reminded is much bigger than the Sequel Trilogy, so I'm trying not to let my feelings about the Sequel Trilogy shape how I feel about all of Star Wars, and since the Sequel Trilogy has inspired some other Star Wars content I liked, I'm trying not to see it as all bad.

There's no right or wrong way to feel, though. I figure fans should just let themselves feel however they need to feel about Star Wars at any given time. It's perfectly fine in my opinion to drift away and then find yourself drifting back if that's how your Star Wars journey takes you. There's never any one right way to be a Star Wars fan:)

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I didn't realize you wrote fan fics. I'll check them out when I get the chance.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I wish we all had this view on things.

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Jid123Sheeve, it's the attitude I try to adopt in my better moments anyway. I'm sure that I slip from time to time, but then hopefully other fans will call me out on that behavior so I can be my best self more often:)

AusStig, Jedi Ben and Darth Buzz like this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yep.

I know one of my philosophies is that so long as someone like's it (It at this point being the ST) then it did it's job and I'm happy for those people.

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    youre both wrong. and I'm right. neener neener [face_tee_hee]

15. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Do you mind being more specific about why the ST has strengthened your interest in Star Wars?

Others above have said Rogue One or Solo have strengthened their interest, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone explain that the ST has done so.

Sure, this is true, and yet doesn't it concern you that LFL is willing to treat characters like Luke Skywalker as they have?

To me that suggests no character is safe from such treatment (poor writing for short term needs).

The only equivalent I can think of is if DC intentionally thought they had to get rid of Superman or Batman in order to move forward. Or if Marvel said "we're done with mutants and Spiderman."

It's very backwards thinking, IMO. I don't actually believe LFL has much idea of what to do with Star Wars. They have a vague idea that it can work in many genres, but that's about it.

The idea that Luke Skywalker, who was already a deconstruction of the traditional macho, violent hero, needed to be deconstructed, shows me we have a bunch of confused people in charge of the story.

16. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Sure.

The ST has resulted in two films that I feel have done a great job of continuing the Skywalker Saga. It has allowed us to see old familiar things/people, while also introducing new characters. For me, Rey and Kylo Ren have really worked well, especially in TLJ. That focus and dynamic between them has me extremely excited for TROS. I also really enjoyed seeing Luke again in TLJ, and thought they gave him a legendary send off. Luke on crait was the epitome of what Luke Skywalker was in the OT. It gave a lengwndary character an amazing send off, and now allows for us to focus on our new characters heading into the last film.

I also was not a fan of the majority of the legends material. The ST has been better story telling IMO, and there is nothing better than seeing Star Wars on the big screens again. It hasn’t been perfect, but I enjoy it and am thrilled to be getting more. I think some were let down that Luke Skywalker didn’t come out in TLJ with ole green mowing down the FO. But that wouldn’t have fit him as a character. So as a Luke fan, he was given a storybook ending. Kylo Ren could end up being my favorite Star Wars character by the end of this, so once again glad he was introduced.

For me Rogue One has been the only mis step for Disney with the Star Wars films so far. I thought TLJ, TFA, and Solo were all great.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So you weren't a fan of a fan of the Legends material but like a trilogy which contains elements that are just Legends concepts done far worse?

cwustudent, wobbits, Abadacus and 4 others like this.
  18. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I obviously don’t think they are worse.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My interest in SW as an ongoing series is hanging on by a thread. I'll watch Episode IX for the sake of completion, but I don't really care what happens to Rey or Kylo. Maybe I'll give the Johnson trilogy a chance. Not interested at all in those TV series they announced or whatever the Game of Thrones guys are doing.

20. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Weakened considerably.

It never was work before to still enjoy the OT. Now it is because I have to make myself forget I saw the ST. The PT never had that effect and I still don`t like TPM at all.

And I`ve yet to work up an interest in seeing Solo, despite it not being connected to the ST (well, aside from the overdone "look at the dice", I know about that) but the thought of checking out new SW content right now is daunting. I`ve lost faith in the current production team completely.

Obviously TROS is a no-go because more Rey and especially Kylo? No, thank you.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Let's just say, we'll always have the Lucas movies.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's be clear. This thread will not be used to insist anyone defend their position one way or the other. There is no right answer. Anyone is free to elaborate if they want, but no pressuring, and keep it friendly.

wobbits, PymParticles , EHT and 6 others like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Need to see how it finishes, though it’s “area” of effect is most likely limited to the period between the OT and ST and the ST’s property itself; the PT stuff, OT stuff, and other eras we may or may not visit won’t be impacted, whether positively or negatively. And to be honest, the effect is even more limited to mostly the characters, and maybe the Galactic conflict - a sequel to Lost Stars is probably going to get my attention regardless, but something dealing with Luke between trilogies is going to vary greatly depending on how the ST ends.

TFA launched me into the Disney-era stuff with some confidence. I love Finn, Rey, and liked Kylo - as an antagonist - and saw potential in the Galactic conflict. TLJ drowned a lot of my interest in most of those elements, since I think it was viewing them incorrectly and just compounded what weaknesses I *did* see in TFA while stripping out things that I believe should have been pursued by the ST for the characters, settings, and conflicts.

Like, right now, I’m largely uninterested in whatever story the Skywalker family may have gone through between trilogies - I don’t know or care about the non-entity of Ben Solo, and too much of Han, Leia, and Luke’s potential successes and adventures feel like they must be downgraded and even dismissed to some extent because of how much they need to fail or *not* do anything for the ST to work. If Rey had been a Skywalker/Solo or even if Luke just had one good student active during the ST, I’d have more reason to care: some kind of inter-trilogy legacy that could be defended would attract me to their actions in that era, even if it just wound up being something like Luke having a failed-but-fruitful romance.

And while I Iove Rey and Finn and like Kylo, I need more ambition than TLJ had for them, especially Rey and Finn; Kylo may be limited by his core elements as a derivative antagonist, but Rey and Finn should be much more exploited than they have been. Rey is damaged as a heroic lead if she’s viewed as “half a protagonist” with Kylo and viewed only as a tool for his story; TFA made her a fun, profitable character as the hero against Kylo, and TLJ lowered her value in all areas. Finn needs to be viewed as a character loaded with potential, not as some comedic relief element you’re obligated to feature for some amount.

Star Wars will be fine... but this highly profitable time period could be turned totally cold, or heated back up depending on the next film.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This aspect is hugely problematic and baffling to me in equal measure. Yet, I can't do anything about it so I've moved on. In response to, what for me, was TLJ's taking a flamethrower to SW, I've focused on other aspects.

As to how I view TLJ, in term of Luke, I'll put it this way: When Transformers: Age of Extinction is doing a better story of lost faith with Optimus Prime than TLJ does with Luke, that's a problem!

For me, the ST to date shows limited awareness of the serial aspect of SW. TLJ was applauded by critics sure, but the bulk of reviews seemed to treat it as a movie in isolation, with little consideration in how it fits in - or doesn't - with the other movies.

Profit is assured, I agree, but how much it continues to be I'm not so certain about. For all I loved both Rogue One and Solo, neither got anywhere near what TFA / TLJ did. Numbered films, with a Skywalker focus, seem to be what gets the most attention. After TROS that's gone. I have no idea how much of the audience will transfer to non-Skywalker stories - but the spin-off films suggest not as much as Disney would like.

In this respect, it would appear Star Wars is not Star Trek, which has long since moved beyond its original characters.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Jedi Ben

The real test will be when (Or if) the new stuff comes B&W and Rian, and that won't be after a three year break, which could help in terms of no big stakes Star Wars for a while.

Mandalorian is getting a Season 2 so at least that's kinda guarateed for anyone who likes it, and the Disney + stuff won't be 100% reliant on Star Wars.

So it will be a very interesting 3 years ...and that's not taking into account how TROS will shape the debate.

Though i'm kinda glad for the 3 year break to be honest because it's nice to break...Although I might eat my words because i could easily see it be maddening.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
    christophero30 likes this.