main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Knight of Jedi Ren Sith, Jul 27, 2019.

?

How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

1. The ST has strengthened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm excited about future films/shows.

23.3%
  2. The ST has weakened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm not excited about future films/shows.

55.9%
  3. The ST has had no affect on my interest in the SW franchise. I feel how I've always felt (explain).

20.8%
  1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You misremember TESB. It wasn't that they didn't know if a person would live after being frozen in carbonite. It was that they didn't know if someone would live after being frozen in carbonite by that "crude facility." The crudeness of it was the issue. Also, when in the Mandalorian is it stated that Mando necessarily needs total certainty on whether or not the bounties of his will survive? Part of the terror of being frozen in carbonite may be the very real possibility that you won't make it out alive (and all his bounties looked terrified). And I haven't even gotten into other easy explanations around the development of technology, and the possibility that after TESB, the method gained popularity because word got around in the bounty hunter community (Han Solo on display at Jabba's could've contributed to that). There are hundreds of perfectly plausible ways to justify the use of a miniature carbon-freezing chamber by the Mandalorian. So who cares if it also serves as a callback? It doesn't matter because it's still very plausible world-building. You're just hung up on it because you know it's a popular thing from ESB, and you don't like a popular thing being referenced. If it was a much deeper cut (like the darksaber is) you'd have much less of an issue with it. I get that, but it doesn't make it bad world-building. I'm one of the harshest critics of poor world-building, too, as I lose interest when the world feels false. And I think your standard is overly harsh.

AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    The carbonite in Mandalorian isn't a huge deal, but it is kind of corny. It's hard not to look at that and think of it as blatant pandering, just like when they referenced it in Clone Wars.

4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I guess thanks for assuming you know why I think and feel a certain way, but I felt the exact same way about all the things I've previously mentioned. My first eye-roll's wer the carbon freezing and his Boba Fett cartoon gun, but it carried on through the door droid/eye thing that was at the Imperial remnant hideout. Then the IG-88 type droid shows up... oh, I completely forgot about REMEMBER UGNAUTS! The darksaber was the worst because now I know the show's gonna get CLONEWARED the same way REBELS did.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    ChildOfWinds likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think your caps lock key got stuck there a couple times.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Anybody else irritated by the concept of hyperspace ramming i.e. "The Holdo Maneuver"?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  7. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    The sequels haven't ruined Star Wars for me by any stretch, but the trilogy was an utter disappointment from conception to execution.
    A lifelong devotee of what is now Legends continuity, I was nonetheless optimistic when Disney announced in 2014 that they were wiping the continuity clean and starting with a blank slate.
    My deepest frustration is that the poorly-conceived sequels are a dark blemish on that blank slate as the "crown jewel" of the new continuity.
    The authorities at LFL should've taken this opportunity to tell a create a more cohesive, compelling continuity more seriously and it seems like they... er... "defecated the bed," so to speak.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The ST hasn't ruined it for me. TROS made me realize I'm growing out of the series.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Or you're just growing out of the lowest common denominator interpretation of the series.

10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    ???

11. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    The sequels interpret Star Wars as silly space movies, deliberately designed to appeal to the largest common denominator like most Hollywood popcorn trash. They are so bland and unremarkable that even Redlettermedia doesn't know how to make fun of them.

12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Well, how many times have you heard someone defend the ST by saying that Star Wars was never that great in the first place? It's a shame, but a lot people don't see (or refuse to acknowledge) a difference in quality.

MIKE STOKLASA: Mr. Plinkett saying JJ Abrams would be a great director for Star Wars movies had no impact on JJ Abrams being chosen to direct The Force Awakens.

RICH EVANS: You don't know that.

13. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    To those who think, sadly, they may have "outgrown" SW... maybe, maybe not.

What I mean... I've been reading superhero comics for many decades (ouch). I love superheroes. Not too long ago, I found myself realizing how long it had been since I couldn't wait for the next issue in a series to be released. How long it had been since I finished an issue and was "wowed" and couldn't wait until next month, knowing what week the next installment would be released. Maybe... even if it had taken decades... I had outgrown superhero comics.

Then I stumbled across ONE PUNCH MAN and MY HERO ACADEMIA. Excitement restored. I realized I hadn't outgrown superhero comics. It was just that a lot of what Marvel and DC were putting out wasn't very good. It was a reverse George Costanza/Seinfeld moment. It wasn't me, it was those meh-to-bad comics.

Can people "outgrow" SW? Maybe. Tastes change. But... I suspect with the right approach, a new SW movie or product might just show that the enthusiasm is still there. We started rewatching MANDALORIAN the other day, and commented to each other (again) how " now THIS feels like SW".

So, to those feeling, with melancholy, that maybe they're over SW... you might still be surprised.

14. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I feel the same as I feel about Marvel - I don't have to catch everything. It simply isn't must-see-everything. There's Marvel stuff that I don't miss and stuff that I do. SW is like that now since there's so much different content that I don't care to catch all.

SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I would like to add to this. The Star Wars Saga movies has mostly been geared to kids and family friendly. the only adult ones are AHN, ESB, ROST and TLJ minus porgs and jokes. then we have the family friendly ones with ROTJ, TPM, ATOC, TFA and TROS.

16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Are you KIDDING me???? ANH isn’t “family friendly”??? You do know that people of ALL ages loved that film, right? You do know that TONS of toys were sold after that film, right? You do know that George Lucas said that he made it for 12 year olds ( or was it 10 year olds), right? You do know that 6-9 year olds played Star Wars on the playgrounds of the world for years, right?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I saw each of the OT films in the theater as a kid, and loved them all. One thing that has never changed for SW is that they are all family friendly (as opposed to specifically "made for kids"), IMO.

I'm not sure why this is now being discussed in this thread, though.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh, oopsie, my bad.lol But my point is most is family friendly and geared to 10-12 year olds.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I always thought SW was made for 70 to 90 year olds.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It might be that some star Wars movies being geared to kids that some have just grown beyond them.

21. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    The true target audience was 100 year olds coming to see it with their parents. ;)

22. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    STAR WARS was designed for all ages. That carries through with TESB and ROTJ. The PT is when Lucas decided to actually try to pander to little kids AND adults at the same time. Who puts Jar-Jar AND dry political scenes in the same movie? Lucas was an absolute madman.

I don't know who the ST is aimed at. It seems like it's playing on Nostalgia toward people who liked the OT, but didn't care for the PT. It also seems like it's geared toward twitter warriors in their early thirties. Maybe those two groups are the same and I'm just lost in a world I don't fully understand anymore.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    I for one miss the dry political talk. I need to know what is the state of the galaxy.
    OT was Empire vs Rebellion, PT was fall of the Republic
    ST is ??? Republic blows up, FO takes over instantly, then somehow Palpatine returns.

I also miss that the movies play years apart, it would be terrible if ESB was directly after ANH like TLJ was to TFA.

24. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    The snippets of political talk in ANH is some of my favorite window dressing and something that was sorely lacking from ROTJ. But I'm sure you can see the difference between dropping snippets of information within scenes and having the political talk be the focal point of scenes.

Yeah, just another area where the ST dropped the ball.

25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I enjoyed the sequels. TFA is the weakest entry for me. I enjoyed TROS. It has problems, but you can shut you mind off and enjoy it. It's a fun movie. TLJ is in my top 3 movies. The sequels enhanced my view on the saga on the whole, and I'm excited for the stories yet to come that will fill in the 30 year gap between the OT and the ST. We have a lot of good stories to go back and tell now. So far, the Mandalorian has been a good start to starting to fill in the gaps between trilogies. I'm looking forward to seeing how they choose to bridge the trilogies.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.