main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long after Ep. III can Hasbro produce original, fun toys?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by VaderDarkLordofSith, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderDarkLordofSith

VaderDarkLordofSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    I know the contract with Hasbro is like 20 years or whatever, but as a tremendous collector since the age of about 2 or 3, after the 2005 release of Ep. III, how long can Hasbro release movie oriented toys? I think only about two years, but I can't prove that. I mean, I don't want action figures modified so much that they don't look like they do in the movies. I do hope they will release a huge package that contains all the main charecters from all six movies together...

How long do you think Hasbro can come out with new, original not the same thing over again toys after Ep. III. I hope the Star Wars line never ends, but everything dies someday... :(

2. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Look how long after the Original 3 movies came out how many toys were made. They made toys for like 15 years between Jedi and Phantom Menace. I think Hasbro realizes as long as they keep making stuff, people will buy it.

3. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    For a very long time. Just think about all the cantina and Jabba's palace aliens we are still missing to this day as well as Rebels and Imperials. As long as they keep putting out new obscure characters I'll keep buying. The vehicles probably don't have as strong of a future because certain vehicles will never be made because of the size.

4. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    A Longo time, Meesa tinks :D

Like NiktosRule said there are plenty of characters yet to be made into figures ;)
    And even if they actually give us all the characters we're missing, They won't stop
    After all there's always EU Comics & Books characters, A Lot of us would buy those :D

5. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I couldn't find any of the vintage line in stores after '86. Three years after RotJ. I assume that's about the time they stopped making them. Someone can probably help me out there.

Then we saw nothing until '95 (even with the prequels announced in '90). Just over three years before EpI.

We've had a continuous supply of figures since then, but they are always hardest to come by just before the newest film, which are released every three years.

How long will Hasbro keep producing SW toys after EpIII? My guess, about three years.

6. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I would also say 3 years.

7. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    They made toys for like 15 years between Jedi and Phantom Menace

Actually, they (Kenner) didn't make anything from about 87 to 95.

If the nostalgia bug kicks in for the OT, they could make figures for quite a while. It depends if people are still collecting action figures in general as they are now. Toys are big collectibles now, but they may not be after 2005.

After Episode III though, we won't see near the amount of figures we're getting now, I think.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well it depends. None of us know what LFL has up their sleave. The Clone War cartoon shorts could be just the tip of the iceburg and they might do something similar in the future. I don't think that Hasbro would of renegotiated their license if they thought they could only make a profit for three years

9. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Not that I buy all of the figures or anything, but for those that do...if Hasbro never stops making them, then some people won't ever get everything. I hope that the figures continue forever. I love hunting for figures and I look forward to many years of fun experiences.

10. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

There will always be new and original toys coming out as long as Hasbro wants to make money. :p

I am sure there is not shortage of ideas. There always endless EU toy ideas.

11. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    I'd imagine the line will last as long as fan interest does and the figures keep selling. I'm mean, there's certainly no shortage of movie characters still yet to be made (and in some case remade and remade and remade... ;) ), not to mention all the EU characters there are out there. Personally I see a long long life ahead of the Hasbro SW line, lasting well past Episode III.

12. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    Hasbro can make original toys til the cows come home, the question is how long will people keep buying them. The answer to that question depends on several factors. If Episode III is the last major SW event ever then by 2008 you're going to see an end to the mass market toyline. If however in 2006 or 2007 the rumored Ultimate Edition of the OT appears on DVD then you could see interest extend possibly to 2010. But without something film related to keep people interested the days will be numbered. Hardcore collectors just aren't enough to support an entire toyline. I believe that there will always be limited edition stuff available from direct markets from now until the end of time and personally for me that is enough. Master Replicas has a much brighter future than the Hasbro line does in my opinion because they don't have to sell 200,000 units to fulfill the bottom line on the profit margin sheet. Hardcore collectors can support the Master Replicas line indefinitely. Don't get me wrong I love collecting and will collect the toyline until there is no more, but I would like for it all to come full circle and finally end. You can say I'm not a 'true' fan but that's the way I feel about it. Peace.

13. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Well said Silac5. Hasbro will keep making figures while it is profitable, but the hardcore fans alone won't be enough to do so.

It seems few of the collectors I run into these days have been collecting from the beginning, yet claim to have the desire to see the line go on "forever". The simple fact is that peoples' interest will wane without the hype associated with a film. The same way that the latest movies have stirred up interest over the past several years.

It would be really interesting to meet back here in 10 years and see how many of you were really still collecting. Interest in the property will die after the final film (barring an extended life through DVD or this cartoon experiment). Like I said, I give it three years after EpIII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.