main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How long are you considered a newbie?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by bladex2, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    -Lord-Vader-: "Strid, thats the most profound thing you've ever said."

Ah, Vader...its so good to see you...

*cough* Not! 8-}

2. Teh-Mole

Teh-Mole Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2003
    i don't know what people would consider me.to some i'm probably still a newbie.to others i might be an oldbie.it all depends on a certen point of view.

3. POLARIUS

POLARIUS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    Even though most of you consider me a newb i consider myself a semi-newb. because i have been around the boards for a while.

4. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i think the whole newbie/oldbie thing has more to do with # of posts than actual time since you registered.

1-500 posts - newbie
    500-2,000 posts- regular user
    2,000-5,000 posts- midbie
    5,000-50,000 posts- oldbie
    50,000+ posts- bib

5. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I highly disagree.

6. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Yeah, I disagree too. I'm a newb - look at my rego date - and I've got over 1, 600 posts.

7. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    just look at those people who registered in july 98' and only posted 10 or 20 times before getting bored, and moving on. do you consider them oldbies?

now, look at the people who registered in jan 04' and became so obsessed with the JC that they now have thousands of posts. how can they be considered newbies?

newbie/oldbie status has more to do with maturity and involvement than time IMO.

8. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Hmm, good arguement fosh :D . However, do you decide the same for an eldery person? :confused: I think that date is a better way to determine age around here. Though, the Oldbies in the Adoptions program only have to wait till they have 500 posts and have been here for over 4 months, in order to get that title 8-} .

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    This was posted in Comms the other day:

Anyone who registered in the old UBB days is an oldbie. Anyone who registered less than a year ago is a newbie. Everyone else is a midbie.

Face it, gang. You're not going to be an olbie probably ever. ;)

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Face it, gang. You're not going to be an olbie probably ever.

Nah,someday after we're here for 5 years,we will be.Muhahahhaha! :D

11. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Newbie = Up to four months
    Midbie = Four months - Two years
    Oldbie = Two years +

That's always how i've seen it. Hope that helps.

12. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I see it as how many people know you. Or how familiar you are with the boards, and anything under four months is a newbie.

13. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Dev_Binks: "I see it as how many people know you. Or how familiar you are with the boards, and anything under four months is a newbie."

So, if one knew the Head Admin, then that'd make them an automatic Oldbie? :confused: Whoa, now that I like! 8-}

14. aTOmic_pUnk

aTOmic_pUnk Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2004
    Newbies....oldbies....
    there is a terrible caste system to this forum and I must reject categorically the placing of labels on anyone.
    Why must I be forced to carry the stigma of a newbie label? If I have an old soul, does that not rank me as an oldbie?
    Oldbie? Who thought that up, anyway?
    Sounds cheesy. I like cheese as much as the next person, but oldbie sounds as if a couple of 8 year olds were brainstorming after a rough morning of Frosted Flakes and freebasing brown sugar.
    Why can't we choose our own labels?
    Isn't there enough tyranny is this world?
    From now on I plausibly deny the term "newbie" and demand to be referred to as "Jedi Jam-master Jar Jar".

15. Distorted_Views

Distorted_Views Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2004
    I agree with Bladex2

16. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    In my view if someone is considered as a newbie, midbie or oldbie depends on everyone itself.
    Everyone has an different opinion, may it that it depends on postcounts or time of registering or something else. The only thing that is clear is, that there isn't any final rule when someone becomes a midbie or oldbie or so.

And for me it is about respect!

17. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Post count has NOTHING to do with it, I will always stand by the very correct quote ''Quality is more important than quantity''. ;)

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    there is a terrible caste system to this forum and I must reject categorically the placing of labels on anyone

I would not call it a cast system. :) It's just a tag and no one is calling someone a newbie to insult them. Its just that they're new.

Also, like Skiara said you are a newbie as long as you feel like one. If you feel comfy on the boards and have been posting then its great. ;)

Personally I use the newbie/oldbie tags with regard to adoptions here at WNU. Plus oldbie simply means more experience on the JC. :)

''Quality is more important than quantity''.

Well said dash. :)

19. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree, dash! :)

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    This was posted in Comms the other day:

Anyone who registered in the old UBB days is an oldbie. Anyone who registered less than a year ago is a newbie. Everyone else is a midbie.

That was me :D

21. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I agree with dash too. Also I am still feel newbie in some areas. [face_blush]

22. POLARIUS

POLARIUS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    I too agree with Dash. Because sometimes people post just to get their post count up so they feel better about themselves i can be accused of doing the same thing myself.

23. bladex2

bladex2 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    :eek: Whoa! :eek: My thread is still up! :eek: I'm amazed! :D

24. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    newbies are the freshmen of the JC.

ther'ere new, there're confused, and its fun to haze them.

25. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I don't consider people as newbies based on their registration date. I try to do it based on the way they messageboard. For example: people who post like this - "YO SUP GUYS IS THSI BORED 4 STAR WARZ", - deserve to be referred to as a n00b, even if they registered in 1998. I base it mainly on post quality. Unfortunately, they usually go hand in hand.. newbies have a tendency to make crappy "n00b" like posts, until they've been around for a while and start to adapt.

I hope that made sense. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.