main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How long until a new prequel era film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Dizagaox, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dizagaox

Dizagaox Jedi Master

Nov 18, 2004
    If the new films don't connect to the audience as well as Disney hopes, will we see "The Clone Wars" or KOTOR or post-ROTS film sooner rather than later?

whostheBossk and Amon_Amarth like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There's talk of a Kenobi movie or possible trilogy. While nothing is official, I think it might be true since Ewan was up for the role of Dr Strange but didn't get it because and I quote "We need him for Star Wars".

Also I have an idea that they could end TCW properly with another TCW movie(s).

3. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I do hope so. There`s lot of interesting story possibilities for the Prequel Era, and lots of established characters with plenty of room for new stories. Besides the Kenobi film, we could get to see the start of the Rebel Alliance with Bail and Mon Mothma (perhaps even Valorum), a pre-TPM movie with Yoda training Dooku or Dooku training Qui-Gon, plenty of conficts during the Clone Wars, etc.

4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I think a pre-TMP or a TCW movie could be fun.

5. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Mace, the possibilities are endless. I just they don't wait too long or the actors may be too old.

6. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Disney and LFL probably won't be doing any PT-focused Anthology films in the foreseeable future. Disney's focus is post-ROTS Star Wars, and it's leaders have been up front and direct about that.

Even the possible Kenobi film, which would feature Ewan as the lead of course, would be set firmly in the Dark Times era. It would probably seek to feel more like ANH than the PT era.

The PT era will continue on in the literary formats --comics and novels --but it's on-screen run --either with films or new TV series -- is probably over for a substantial amount of time. The gaps between PT episodes (especially between TPM and AOTC) could easily be explored, but the powers that be aren't going in that direction anytime soon.

7. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I think it's natural to explore some other eras for awhile. The last fifteen years have been focused on the TPM through Clone Wars era. I do agree there are great stories that can be told still. I can only speak for myself, I really want to see something else for awhile.

8. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Have I missed something? Who said this and where?

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I don't recall hearing about that quote at all.

LANDO_ROCKS and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not sure what a real prequel era film would be about. Between the prequels themselves and The Clone Wars movie and show, I don't really think there is any pre-existing character or element to that era needs or could use a movie.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Trying to find it, can't, sorry. Though it probably doesn't help I'm on my iPod. I know I saw it somewhere. Perhaps we'll know something soon.

Darkslayer and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  12. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Probably not for a very long time. Not only do they have The Dark Times to explore, but they also have the period between VI and VII to explore.So far, canonically, the PT has far more content than anything else right now. Not only that, but they also have the old republic to someday explore.

DjangoKet and Dra--- like this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They're going hard for the OT Nostalgia. I don't think there will be a Clone in sight anytime in the next 5 years.

If they go backwards, I agree they will go a long way back so that they can reinvent the imagery that they want.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Doctor Strange is scheduled to begin shooting in November and to be released next year. It wouldn't have had any effect on casting on a Ewan McGregor/Kenobi film.

There won't be anything in the PT era for quite some time, as others have said. Lucasfilm needs to focus on eras that are more relevant to the ST.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  15. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I want to see a movie about Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos so badly.

16. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    The Clone Wars period that goes from Episode II to III is almost fully explored, only things that would be necessary for us to see are possibly Ventress's first confrontations with the Jedi and Anakin being knighted, but all of these things are more fitting for novels, comics and animation, i myself would like to see these gaps filled in animation. The only periods i think could be explored in the prequel era would be Qui Gon and Obi Wan adventures pre Episode I and Kenobi training Anakin, maybe you could fit in Jango Fett too, but the actor isn't getting younger, not to mention that there seems to be a severe lack of interest in a project like that.

With the Prequel era, most of what you can do is related to the Jedi: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku

Maybe you could make a Jando film, but fans are right now more interested in Boba stuff, the Prequel era is mostly a peace period, the only major scale war that happens is the Clone Wars and it has mostly been covered by the show, whatever more you can do in that time wouldn't work as well in film. With the Original Trilogy period however, you already have a galaxy in chaos, multiple distabilized economies, worlds ran by smugglers, bounty hunters running around, big battles left and right, and above all, a galaxy that is in constant conflict, leading to a vast variety of stories to tell.

I myself would like to see a film showing Qui-Gon training Obi-Wan and introducing how the galaxy is at the moment, as well as explaining how the force works, serving as a sort of Prelude to the main Saga, would also like to see a film dealing with Dooku's fall into the dark side, as in the present canon i think he's way too one-note. Anakin being trained by Kenobi would work very well as an animated series IMAO.

So yeah, i want anthologies set in the Prequel era, but i'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Even these were seen in the 2003 miniseries

2old2Bhere likes this.
  18. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    But the miniseries is no longer canon, which means there's a gap in the war that needs to be filled.

19. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

Canon shmanion!! It ultimately is up to the fans to decide what is and isn't canon..not Disney. Until they contradict each other (besides the Grievous cough!), I'll stand by my statement.

Amon_Amarth, CoolyFett and mes520 like this.
  20. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    But here's the thing, the miniseries was realy good, but Ventress was completely different when it comes to how she ended up as Dooku's aprentice, it also looks like she was killed, and she never met Obi-Wan, which is weird considering that when the show starts they seem to already have quite a history.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I want a sequel to TPM that is a prequel to AOTC called: Character Development - The Movie

22. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    I feel like we have so many Anakin/ObiWan stories that we could almost make a day to day journal of their activities during the Clone Wars.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I really hope we see the prequel era embraced and explored fully, but only after completion of the ST. That's not too far off actually.

24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I think the most likely possibility of a prequel film would be a Clone Wars Era Film with completely new characters never mentioned or referenced in the old EU before

CoolyFett and Shaak Ti like this.
  25. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    It might take awhile to sink in for some, but the Prequel Era in Star Wars is a now a lot like The Next Generation era in Star Trek. As far as TV and films go, it's over.

After the ST is completed, the Anthology series will explore the 30-year gap between ROTJ and TFA. The franchise has decisively moved away from the Prequel era in film and television. And it's extremely unlikely to return to it.

Just like Trek with TNG, the SW franchise has naturally moved away and on to a new setting. It was inevitable and it is what it is ---for better or worse, that's the basic truth of the franchise now. But just like TNG for Trek, the silver lining for SW PT fans is that there's a large amount of content that was created and can't be taken away. Four films and six TV seasons is a lot to cherish. But don't expect more from the era. Cherish that and enjoy the new era that is going to be explored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.