main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How many new SW films should there be PER YEAR?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 17, 2018.

?

How many new SW films should there be PER YEAR?

1. Less than 1 new movie per year (a new movie every 2 years, or 3 years, etc)

33.7%
  2. 1 new movie per year

47.5%
  3. 2 new movies per year

10.9%
  4. 3 new movies per year

1.0%
  5. 4 new movies per year

1.0%
  6. 5 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 8 new movies per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. More than 8 new movies per year

5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    365 movies a year (366 on a leap year).

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    In my experience following movies over the years, I have not detected a pattern whereby films that spend a longer time in production are generally better than films with shorter production times.

3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I totally agree with this! Me personally I’m like when are they going to take risks!!! Go to a different time period Star Wars has so much magic in it I want to see more about the sith, the Jedi the lore the first sith or Jedi goooo way into the future wayyyy into the past, I’m tired of the dark time era, when they announced Solo I was like why? Who wants this? I didn’t think it had enough meat for 3 films ( I liked the last half way better than the first but I was always thinking there’s so much more they can do with the story with the mandoliran it’s set in the ot right ?? Im tired of people who don’t have powers in Star Wars rouge one was great but now go to more epic storytelling, less space ship based stuff in the ot! This isn’t Star Trek.

4. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    For me it’s not about how long it takes the stories they put out if they take one every year with an amazing story sure but some of those need longer with editing post editing, reshooting etc.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not sure what that has to do with anything. All that stuff is very much known in advance. It's not like they randomly notice what kind of work will be needed in the future.

The quality of the story itself doesn't depend on how much time you spend on it. You can create a great story quickly, just like you can spend ages on the most boring stuff imaginable. And seeing how the projects are done by different people, they have all the time they need to develop a story, shoot the movie and do post-production without impacting any other project. Production is layered, they don't do one project and then move on to the next. They can easily start multiple projects at the same time, or have one in pre-production, one in production and one in post-production. Giving each of them two, three or even more years of development, if necessary.

Back in the days, Lucas took himself 3 years of time for every movie. In part because of his style of working, in part because he could only really work on one thing at a time. The sequels can be done more quickly, because different people work on different movies. Johnson had already a finished version of the script before TFA was even done with post-production. And in the same fashion, Trevorrow was working on IX before TLJ was done. They probably couldn't have kept the two year pace if the same person was writer and director on all of them.

Episodes are also limited by following up on each other. The writer/director needs to know what happened in the movie before, before he can try and look where things are heading. This doesn't really impact stand-alone movies at all. This allowed them to have Rogue One and Solo in production alongside the regular episodes.

The only thing that defines the quality of a movie - as far as that isn't just subjective opinion - depends entirely on how well the cast and crew of that movie are working, not on how many other projects there are.

6. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I think fatigue though is something they need to careful of, yes people want to compare it to the MCU but marvel is different. Also shooting some of those films takes like 6 months alone, plus the editing sure they can tune it out but I’d rather wait for a good project then just have the crank it out. For example ST takes a year or 2 and that’s a movie quality Netflix show.

7. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Definitely no more than 1 per year.

The Solo BO results reinforce this idea. Solo failed at the BO not because it was a bad film but because people still hadn't finished digesting TLJ. As a result the anticipation, excitement and fervour surrounding the launch of a new SW movie hadn't had enough time to grow and develop.

8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I prefer quality over quantity, so just take the time it needs to bring a Star Wars movie that feels like a Star Wars movie.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If the films fill audiences with joy and things they enjoy seeing, they could get away with making numerous films per year. Marvel and Disney and Fast and the Furious have no problem unloading countless films per year because... in general... most audience members don't feel like the films kicked them in their soul. Make films which can be universally enjoyable and you can make as many as you feel inspired to.

Bor Mullet, 2Cleva, vong333 and 2 others like this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree with this and star wars had somewhat of a plan with each alternate year a trilogy movie followed by an anthology movie. Little did we know that the movies weren't all being thought of correctly causing snafus. Then Solo came around and everything changed. Hopefully, they can get on track and everything will be fine

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Looking at the future, this questions may be a little more complicated; I think the more precise question will be- how much SW content should there be per year?

Media is changing how we take in our entertainment. Yes, the theater will always exist and be popular because that experience cannot be replicated at home.

But streaming services are moving into the movie business, and are going to occupy a decent share of it. The theater business is already running scared, trying to block streaming movies from the Oscar's. I know Iger has downplayed direct to streaming SW movies, but I don't know (and NOBODY knows) how content will end up in the future when and if more of the share of money moves to streaming movies. Movies and mini-series types of things are entirely possible.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/media/netflix-steven-spielberg/index.html

I don't really get why fans in this thread mostly want this rigid limit of one movie per year- I mean, if they were good, why would you want less of them? As long as Disney treads carefully (which I am sure they will) in terms of giving the amount of content that the public wants, why would you swear by any strict limit? What if the coming SW material were to become really popular and of great quality, and people would spend the money to see multiple movies in one year? Wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

I just don't see any reason for arbitrary limits on how many per year; it should be based on quality and current popularity, and quantity should shift when those things change.

Bor Mullet and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree. Disney is a massive company. They can make sure to bring on enough talent and money to produce multiple quality films and TV a year. The quantity vs. quality dichotomy is only real if they make it real. And there’s no reason to make it real.

DARTH_BELO and Lee_ like this.
  13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Slightly off topic I doubt we're going to get a new Star Wars movie in 2020 and they might even skip 2021 too. They could use the new TV shows to fill in the gap.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Why do you like fun?

15. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    I hope they take a break from the big screen for awhile after Episode IX....at least a few years, preferably more. I'm more interested in The Mandalorian than any of the spin off movies that have been announced, to be honest. I wanna see how SW does in live action TV. It would end up like Clone Wars but for a more mature audience, which would be a welcome addition for me.

I try to talk SW with many people I meet when I travel...and it's so different now compared to just 5 years ago. So many people I meet who seem really confused in regards to SW movies these days. So many don't know Rogue One was a prequel. So many think I'm talking about TFA when I am talking about TLJ. It's sad to see people refer to SW as "that new SW movie...which one? Which one are you talking about? Oh I don't remember if I saw it"

I also meet so many "I hate SW" people, usually very young. I ask which ones they saw, and a common reply is "umm, don't remember...I think two of them...one had that annoying Jar Jar guy, the other one was like 2 or 3 years ago" (probably referring to Rogue One or TLJ)

This is why I'm glad Bob Iger said there will be a slow down.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.