main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 How many of you guys cosplay?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by GaelTrooper, Oct 25, 2016.

1. GaelTrooper

GaelTrooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2016
    Hey guys! In order to keep this board somewhat active, I thought I'd ask how many of you plan to cosplay at Celebration? Guess I'll go first: I will be, as a royal guard. I don't think I'll bring a force pike (don't actually have it yet anyway) as it would cause unnecessary trouble for me being pulled aside during baggage scans or tsa spot checks since it could be construed as some kind of gun or something to an X-ray machine. (I'll be flying in to Fl from New England) - thought I'd try to buy one on Thursday when walking around in street clothes there.
    Speaking of that- those who do cosplay, would you recommend the first day (thurs) to be the ideal day NOT to cosplay, in order to actually buy things? I don't want to ruin the effect of being in costume buy having items in my hands or carry bags or something!
    I figured I will cosplay on Friday and Saturday- Sunday I think we are hitting Disney world so that's out.
    Thoughts on what day not to cosplay (if you must give up one day) and how many others (and what you'll be) are cosplaying?

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm going to Celebration on my own, so I won't be cosplaying. I also don't have a good Star Wars costume. I have a great Batman suit that I wear to other comic cons and it's a lot of fun, so I'm jealous of those who will be doing it at Celebration.

It really helps if you go with a non cosplayer because then they can carry stuff you guys buy as well as take lots of pictures of you with other cosplayers.

Thursday will likely be when the Episode VIII panel is, so if you plan on going to that, that may be the day to skip dressing up, especially if your costume is uncomfortable to sit in. If you're staying close by, you could always shop in the morning and then go change for the afternoon.

3. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Yeh I suppose you going alone wouldn't allow for someone else carrying stuff. Personally I wouldn't ask anyone to carry stuff I bought as I would feel really bad about doing that. Heck, I don't even want to carry my own stuff let alone someone else's! Haha
    I won't be goin to the episode 8 panel (nor any other one I think- maybe some SW podcaster's panels possibly) so Thursday won't be an issue for me. Actually my costume is quite comfy, once I take the helmet off as it's just robes. Someday I'll do a classic stormtrooper and that certainly doesn't afford sitting down, but until then I'll be comfortable. I'm sure I'd be doing a stormtrooper someday - it's just a matter of a lack of money right now.
    I'm going with my sister and her husband, so I could potentially ask my sister to carry something, but I really don't foresee that. (I'd feel guilty)
    Good idea about changing into the costume after I've down all my shopping earlier in the day. We are staying about a mile away so it's possible to do. The problem is, I'm sure I will stumble onto something I'd want to buy once I'm in full costume! I suppose if I limit it to being on the lookout for vintage 3 3/4 action figures, I could always carry one tucked into my waist sash under my outer robe if I happened to see some figure I couldn't pass up!!

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I usually go to cons with my brother and he doesn't mind carrying around stuff.

Depending on the vendor, I've found that some will hold stuff for you if you pay up front and then you can pick it up at the end of the day. That's especially helpful for larger items.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I just finished my First Order Snow Trooper helmet yesterday. It's curing but I don't think the rest of the costume will be done by then. Plus I'm not sure I really want to walk around in 80 degree weather in that hot costume all day. Nor do I really want to travel with it.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The more I'm going to celebrations the more my choice in costumes directly relate to their comfort factor. This time I'm only bringing one main costume, and I'm hoping it will be both easy to pack and wear.

jawajames likes this.
  7. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    From what I hear - it can be on the cold side in the con center as they tend to crank the A/C to overcompensate for the amount of people (body heat) walking around. I too will be hot with my helmet on, and robes, but I'm hoping the A/C factor works out to me benefit!

8. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    So what will you be wearing?

9. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    So my wife came up with a good idea. I could wear my stormtrooper helmet, a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. I can be a snow trooper on vacation.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
  11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    At the moment my main costume will probably be Mon Mothma, I might bring my X-wing pilot without helmet and with the lighter pair of boots. A jawa is always an option as well.

12. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Mon Mothma- how awesome!!!
    James's sound cool too- Utini!

13. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Uggg- autocorrect! I meant to write Jawas not James

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I thought you meant that I should cosplay as jawajames :D

GaelTrooper likes this.
  15. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    going to try to finish my mando.

16. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I have never cosplayed, but I know a family that has a three full Mandolorian suits. They look awesome and do their family photos in them. I'm pretty sure they are apart of the 501st.

17. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Haha!

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Mandalorians have their own group Mandalorian Mercenaries, so they are usually not part of the 501st, unless they have specific Mando characters like Boba or Jango Fett.

They have opened the registration for the cosplay contest.

When reading up on the rules I feel as if they can't really decide if it's a cosplay or a costume contest. At least my understanding of cosplay contest, and the way they are done in Europe, is that you need to have some kind of skit. That is not allowed here, but at the same time they are going to judge on how well you portray the character and the likeness to the character, which take some focus out of the costuming parts. I also was not happy to see that they have included that "you might not get points for accuracy if the judges can't recognize your costume". I also think it's wrong that you it's not necessarily the wearer of the costume that has made it. Still I'm not going to compete, so I'm looking forward to see what people will compete with.

19. GaelTrooper

Sep 26, 2016
    Obi Anne, thanks for the update on the cosplay contest entry form now being open. Not sure if I will actually enter, only because my costume, a Royal guard, is fairly plain looking as far as complexity. It's not the kind of costume that is going to win a contest for sure, although Royal guards look totally awesome in my humble opinion! I can see your point about not wanting to enter and just enjoying some of the awesome costumes that will be there. I will probably do the same.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have competed though, in London last year, so I can compare what it was like to compete and what it's like to be in the audience. It was a great experience, but having done it I will probably not do it again.

21. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    If it was Celebration, then London was this year. Anaheim was last year.;)
    But of cause I know London has many other conventions besides Celebration, so maybe it was one of them.:)

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I meant "last celebration" I'm just ahead of times. :)

23. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    I can't decide which lightsaber to buy. Cheap retractable (easier to carry) or Hasbro FX. Decisions...

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    With one week until I leave I have no finalized my plans (things can still happen though).

I had plans for a really big and ambitious costume project, but unfortunately the Swedish post managed to be totally incompetent and my fabric for it arrived last Friday. With that done here are my plans

Vintage styled Queen Amidala, I will probably wear it to the 501st banquet and on Saturday.
    X-wing pilot, without helmet - I want to wear it for my photo with Denis Lawson on Thursday
    Mon Mothma - Friday, for the Rebel Legion and Galactic Senate photoshoot.

I'm not bringing the Jawa, so no 501st photoshoot for me.

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I decided to fly so I'm not bringing my Snow Trooper armor, it's just too much to do. Plus I haven't been approved yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk