main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How many people knew Darth Sidious was also Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Good questions. I thought Tikkes was on Geonosis when Obi-Wan was there. So he's been part of this from the start. My guess is some deal is still in place that keeps him around. That or Tikkes is in so much trouble at this point, this is the only place he can go.

Deliveranze likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's not so much "how many knew" as it is "how many knew and were allowed to stay alive".

3. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    Mas Amedda,Maul,Dooku,Vader,Obi-Wan,Yoda,Mace Windu,Padmé,Agen Kolar,Kit Fisto,Sasee Tiin,Most of the galaxy after the battle of Endor
    Possibly: Ahsoka,Bail Organa,Luke,Leia (before Endor)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Mas Amedda witnesses Yoda ask, “or should I call you Darth Sidious?” and witnesses Sidious use Force Lightning.

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  6. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    If they knew, they certainly would not be staying on Mustafar that's for sure..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Conceivably the separatists could know Sidious was Palpatine and think he was intending to resolve the conflict in a manner beneficial to them. The line "Lord Sidious promised us peace" would fit with this.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    There's no way the Separatists knew. When Palpatine is in disguise as Sidious--as he always is when he contacts the Separatist leaders--that means he is unrecognizable. The story wouldn't make sense otherwise. He would never trust his secret with someone as venal and self-serving as Nute Gunray.

9. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Very good reading there. Also the fact that the audience can discern some of his features doesn't mean the characters in the film can do so. Anyway, I listed the alternate theory as an outside possibility. When Dooku tells Poggle the Lesser he's going to his master on Coruscant, he also says his master "will never let the Republic get away with this treachery" or something similar--I might have the line a bit wrong. It's clearly the case that they can know Sidious is on Coruscant, influencing the Senate, without their identifying Palpatine as the same person. I mean Coruscant has a trillion people or something. But yes definitely, Nute Gunray could use his secret identity against him if he knew, and that is probably the best argument of all.

10. C-3POHumanCyborgRelations

C-3POHumanCyborgRelations Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2021
    I never got that impression. If he'd really had even an inkling he would have done something, anything about it!

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I was just about to say that. :p :D

He probably knew long before that and, as Kenneth Morgan points out, he was allowed to live. Otherwise he would’ve suffered a...fatal accident.

As for everyone else, they were either dead or not in a place to do anything about it due to either being stripped of power/position or being born after Sidious shed his ‘Palpatine’ facade.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Do you think that is so implausible? I admit it seems unlikely, but I struggle to think of another scenario for what happened in that room since we never saw it.

13. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    It certainly isn't implausible. Palpatine could have used some sort of force trickery on the other clones too to make it seem like it was a normal investigation. Plus, I learnt later after that message about how sketchy the coruscant guard was. Some people do theorise that the guard was in on order 66 and the plot to take down the jedi from the beginning. Maybe they saw the whole thing and didn't say a word.

14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    In the PT alone-Mas Amedda and Sly Moore, I think...Tarkin? Also all the Sith apprentices. Grievous didn’t and the sep leadership didn’t either.

Sate Pestage in the EU. Probably no more than four people at any one time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    From the way it's portrayed in the Tarkin newcanon novel, I think the idea is that Tarkin doesn't know (Palpatine has never confided in him), he only suspects.

The Emperor swiveled his chair toward the light, and Tarkin glimpsed his sepulchral visage; the molten skin beneath his eyes, the bulging forehead. After all these years, he was still not accustomed to it. “When one consorts with vipers, one runs the risk of being struck,” the Emperor had told Tarkin following the attack on him by a quartet of Jedi Masters.

There were many stories about what had occurred that day in the chancellor’s office. The official explanation was that members of the Jedi Order had turned up to arrest Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, and a ferocious duel had ensued. The matter of precisely how the Jedi had been killed or the Emperor’s face deformed had never been settled to everyone’s satisfaction, and so Tarkin had his private thoughts about the Emperor, as well. That he and Vader were kindred spirits suggested that both of them might be Sith.
    Tarkin often wondered if that wasn’t the actual reason Palpatine had been targeted for arrest or assassination by the Jedi. It wasn’t so much that the Order wished to take charge of the Republic; it was that the Jedi couldn’t abide the idea of a member of the ancient Order they opposed and abhorred emerging as the hero of the Clone Wars and assuming the mantle of Emperor.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Good excerpt. I really enjoyed that book-perhaps I'll give it another run thru, as it was about 6 or 7 years ago now that I read it-and a lot in the GFFA has come to light since then. IIRC, that book also outlined that Tarkin suspected Darth Vader was actually Anakin Skywalker as well-rather assumed, but it was never spoken between them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Back in 1977, before I saw SW for the first time in theater, I bought and read the novel. The first sentence of the novel mentions "Emperor Palpatine." That sort of gave it away.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Very few people knew that Sidious and Palpatine were the same person. In the old EU, the Jedi didn’t really think so. They just believed Sidious was someone in Palpatine’s inner circle. I recall there was an investigation that got close but was stopped. Enough to connect the industrial works area on Coruscant(where Palpatine speaks to Dooku at the end of AOTC) to the chancellor’s office. Yet the Jedi ended up dying soon after. (Roughly a little before ROTS begins).

In the empire, it seems more people knew Palpatine was a Sith Lord. In the old EU anyway. Vader obviously, Tarkin, and seemingly all the grand admirals. The general public didn’t. But if you were an imperial who regularly interacted with or took orders from Palpatine-you did.

I don’t know how true that is in the Nucanon.

20. i believe during the prequels very few knew but during Galactic Civil War many people knew he was Sidious

whostheBossk likes this.