main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends How Mara Was Brought into the Empire

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Modernism, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    This is a short thing I came up with a few years ago and just felt compelled to dust it off and put it out there. Read and enjoy. Constructive criticism always welcome. I realize now I wish I'd changed a few things, but it is still fun to write bad Vader and Empire stuff.

On the Origins of Mara Jade

Meriana had given up her fast-paced career when she'd gotten married and settled down in this a small town. She had loved performing, but the traveling had gotten a bit rough and Draken was a professor at the university. Meriana found that he had such a knack for people, and a knowledge of philosophy and history that his students adored him. His classes were always full and had long waiting lists of potential students.

The new Galactic Empire had forced many traveling shows to change, for systems grew or shrank according to the whim of Imperial favor and it was an open secret that bribery was how things were done in the Senate now. Corellia was still a bright spot, and Nal Hutta could be counted upon, but Naboo for example...

A few years after the end of the war, she'd taken a job as a tutor at the local school, and they'd been blessed with a beautiful baby girl who had bright red hair like her father. The baby was a jewel, so bright and inquisitive, sensitive. She was very independent and happy. Draken had named her Mara after his grandmother, and Meriana heard low whispers that Draken's grandmother had second sight. Any talk of strange powers or behavior was always hidden now.
    Soon after it had been Meriana who had taken the lead in signing petitions, organizing informational meetings among residents about the impact of Imperial policies and control over what crops were planted, how factories were dissolved and others built only because it was decreed from Coruscant. And so many were now hungry, begging on the streets of Clawopsis, the major city. Draken had warned that these activities might come with a high price.

"What is the alternative?" she'd asked, and he agreed that if they did not stand up for their principles, for the values of democracy, fairness and equal rights, they had little future to give to their green eyed baby.

When the Imperial garrison was built, no one put up any resistance. In fact it was welcomed, as crime decreased and if you kept away from that area you were okay. No one noticed when the troop buildup grew to excessive numbers. There were rumors of people disappearing, but no one wanted to talk about it much. Except for Meriana. She heard firsthand from widows of the miners, where they'd taken children away as incentive for the husband to go back to the mines, even though the poison gases that blew out of the fissures brought many to an early death. There were wonderful vids from Coruscant with a thank-you from the Emperor himself, praising the great production numbers.

One day Draken came back and said there'd been a riot by students at the university, and the stormtroopers had come in and wiped them out. Now the University was closed, and there would be a house-to-house search for the leaders of the riot.

Draken stayed home from the University for a few days, and they went about their business, trying not to worry or think about what might happen. On the third day they came. They saw a ship land in the valley below. Then they saw it blast away at buildings and saw the smoke of fires around, even in the small village below. A squadron of stormtroopers accompanied by Darth Vader himself walked up the small hill covered with waving grass and new spring flowers.

Meriana and Draken hid 5 year old Mara away in a cupboard, intoning her to not make a sound, be very very quiet and they ran out trying to the front of their imodest home. The stormtroopers lifted their blasters at them as they came out into the garden.

"Are you Meriana and Draken Jarrows?"

"Yes, that is us," Draken answered.

"You are charged with treason against the Empire, you will come with us, "Darth Vader's low menacing voice shocked Meriana, and that horrible sound of his breathing terrified her.

"No, no don't take Draken, it was only me! Please let him stay!" Meriana rushed up closer to the group of stormtroopers that stood before Vader.

"Do not resist," Darth Vader warned, "You have been warned."

"But we haven't done anything!" Draken came forward too, opening his hands out in a gesture of openness and supplication.

"No, Draken no!" Meriana saw that Draken was going ever closer. Finally a shot rang out and he dropped to the ground, and a moment later Meriana was also shot through the head, and dropped on top of her husband.

"Search the premises, bring out any stragglers, I want no one left behind." Vader commanded.

"Lord Vader, the place is empty, " the Sergeant informed him awhile later.

"Not yet, Sargent," the steely, raspy voice warned. "There is still one in there. Find it."

The stormtroopers began to thoroughly ransack the small house and finally came upon Mara hidden away. She started screaming at the top of her lungs as they dragged her out. Amazing too, she thrashed around, trying to kick at them, yet still crying and screaming with all her might.

"Here is a small one," the sergeant said as he held his arm up keeping the kid far enough away that he couldn't get kicked. His lieutenant raised his blaster towards the wailing child.

"Wait," Darth Vader raised his hand, and the child fell silent and limp as the stormtrooper held her up. Vader could tell the child was Force-sensitive. Interesting.

"Take this one to my private shuttle," he commanded. He wondered what Darth Sideous would make of her. He would present her to his master and see what he wanted to do with it.

"As you wish," the squadron leader said as the lieutenant took the child and carried her in his arms down the hill.

Carlos Danger and Nightvision91 like this.
  2. Modernism

Feb 19, 2003
    no replies so far ?? does everyone hate it? I'm sure it is far far away from what Zahn or others imagined... oh well.

3. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I don't hate it. I always imagined that probably is the way she did come to the Emperor. I think it would be very interesting if Vader was the one who inadvertently brought Mara into his son's life. After all if he didn't bring her to Palpatine she wouldn't be his Hand and given the command to kill Luke Skywalker. Without Mara searching for Luke, he probably would not have been saved from certain death by Talon Karrde.

So, Darth Vader put into motion events that would lead to his son's survival.

Don't be discouraged about no reviews. There are so many stories posted that many people only read stories from people that they know. It is nothing personal. A great way to get people interested in your writing is to do some of the challenges. The readers and writers here usually will read all the challenge submissions. Once people get to know your writing style you are sure to pick up readers and many more reviews.

Nice story.

4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Keep on writing, I do it for practice, and to retcon some canon stories, I love reviews, but I'll keep writing to improve, and I love seeing what other writers create.

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    oh poor little Mara...the few memories Mara had were possibly implanted by Vader or the Emperor so your theory works. Though how she came to get the name Jade.....are you going to write that?

6. Modernism

Feb 19, 2003
    Thank you, kind souls. It is fine if no one comments, this is just a silly story, sometimes I gets worried, but "dreams pass in time." My theory would be that her Jade is part of her name, so when they ask her she replies "My name is Mara Jade" and it just fits.
    i may write for the mush challenge, Solo children mush if I have time...

7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This is an interesting way to introduce Mara into ESB and into his son's life too.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Kessel Run Champion star 8 VIP - Game Winner

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello. I agree that this is a very plausible way for Mara to be 'taken.' =D= I imagine her folks would be ordinary citizens caught up in a situation of 'shoot first, don't ask' :p If either of her immediate parents were Force sensitive, naturally they'd hide it if they were even aware of it to start with.