main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How Much Did R2 Really Know?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've always enjoyed the common notion that R2-D2 is the one omniscient character, having seen the events of all trilogies and remembering it all, including the drama surrounding the Skywalker family.

But really, was he aware of everything?

For example, upon meeting Luke on Tatooine, how long did it take him to figure out that he was Anakin's son, or that Leia was his sister, if he was ever present when they were discussed in ROTS? Was it when the hologram was played?

Artoo may have seen Leia grow up while remembering her birth, but when would he make the connection involving Luke? The latest that I think he would have known was during the "certain point of view" conversation on Dagobah, assuming he could see Obi-Wan's ghost.

I personally think he remembered Obi-Wan from the Clone Wars, but it's hard to tell how much he was playing along with Obi-Wan's non-revelations.

Did he remember Yoda?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I sort of remember Pablo Hidlago saying that whenever someone brought this up to Lucas he just said something like "He's the family dog!"

I also think a Legends story had Luke finding Anakin and Padme's confrontation buried away in Artoo's deep memory core.

Let's just say that Artoo and maybe astromechs in general, have a very short attention span and not a very good long term memory aside from general feelings about owners. They're great at immediate tasks, though!

3. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Yeah I'm not sure when R2 figured what out either. He likely didn't know Luke's identity yet at the time Luke got attacked by the Tusken Raiders, otherwise I think R2 will make an effort to save Padme's son. But after that I'm not sure.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    there's a heartbreaking moment in the ROTS novel towards the end where 3PO asks how Anakin is doing and R2 says "I don't know. He doesn't talk to me anymore." :(

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was Chewie that tended to be described that way by Lucas and/or Lucasfilm employees?

christophero30 likes this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    personally I think R2 knows everything. maybe he wanted to run away from Luke cause he's another crazy Skywalker.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    The question is, how big is his hard disk. I mean, I absolutely love the idea (and my head canon) that R2 went ahead one day and showed Luke videos and stuff back from the good times with Anakin and or Padmé. But to memorize all his hard disk must be enormous.
    What we know is, that R2 saves data longer or different from other astromechs. At least that's my interpretation of his unique personality. Like "the queen ordered to open the closed door" plus "Anakin ordered to open the closed door" means, that with this saved files/memories he goes along and open doors for Luke before Luke even says the word. Or any other thing an AI learns with time.

But that he didn't recognize Luke right away is not a problem. He's seen him last as an infant. Then he has had a different mission and probably checked enough as not to go to Luke and tell him "hey, I'm the former astromech of your father, who, by the way, is Vader. Hello."

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had indicated that Artoo knew everything about the life of the Skywalkers. It was even said that years after Luke's death, Artoo had imparted the life story of the Skywalker clan to one of the Whills, thus bringing it all back to "Journal Of The Whills" from the ANH novelization.