main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How much Japanese do you need to know to get around Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Archive: Japan' started by kingthlayer, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Go away.

Neech, where do you live?

2. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Hello all! I'm from England and thought I'd post here for a while. Is that cool?

3. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Hola!

Can anyone help me translate this?

Mukashi no aru hi, Upupu no otouto no Opai to iu rakuda ga aru michi wo nonbiri aruiteite totsuzen fushigina ki wo toota.

4. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Mukashi no aru hi, Upupu no otouto no Opai to iu rakuda ga aru michi wo nonbiri aruiteite totsuzen fushigina ki wo toota.

One day, Upupu was speaking with his younger brother Opai about walking on foot to let the camel relax when suddenly, a mysterious feeling came.

worst.translation.ever :p

5. Shimmersilk_03

Shimmersilk_03 Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2005

once upon a time, a camel called Opai that Upupu's younger brother was ambling a road, when suddenly he took a mysterious tree.

I don't know what is this sentence.
    but i think this "Ki" means tree.

sorry, my english is so poor...:_|

6. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Ki can mean tree, but in that context it means "feeling".

7. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    ugh nevermind this thing cant recognize japanese text input

8. DARTH_SHADOW_

DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2004
    HOW????

GO AWAY????

WHO R U?

9. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Someone who loves you.

10. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Sorry Goodfellas... I never saw your question.

I live in Nakano-ku near Shinjuku. How about you?

11. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I don't live in Tokyo at all. :(

I'm studying the language and I'm visiting in July or August. I'll be staying in Nerima-ku and visiting the city and the surrounding areas.

12. Alianza_Rebelde

Alianza_Rebelde Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2005
  13. helen313a

helen313a Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Don't worry guy!
    Japanese know English very well so you will not have any problems with language! As I am Russian and know English a little, I feel good here!
    By the way, What do you plan to do in Japan?

things to do in Japan

14. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I plan to do whatever I can with about 3,000 dollars. This may or may not include:

+ As much of Tokyo as possible.. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Harajuku, Ueno, The Imperial Palace etc
    + Fireworks in Yokohama
    + Kyoto
    + Osaka
    + Himeji Castle
    + Mount Fuji
    + Kamakura

What do I not plan on doing: Sleeping

15. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I lived in Japan for 3 years & my FAVORITE place of all to visit there was Kyoto. I recommend Kyoto because of the fact that old Japan & modern Japan seem to exist side-by-side everywhere in that great city. Shrines & temples right next door to office buildings, etc..

Furthermore, I was fortunate enough to go to Kyoto during the Fall/Autumn. The leaves were all different colors & I even managed to take some bitchin' pictures there. Being from Hawai'i, I wasn't used to seeing 4 distinct seasons. Thanx to Japan, I got to see it.

Anyway, point being, is, my humble recommendation is that, if ANYONE goes to Japan & doesn't have any one particular thing that they MUST do, I recommend that they visit Kyoto.

The Kinkakuji (Golden Temple), Ginkakuji (Silver Temple) and the Kyoto International Conference Hall http://www.kich.or.jp/en/ were all worth checking out. Also, at least ONE zen rock garden can be found in Kyoto. That was awesome to see as well.

May the Force be with you.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

16. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Sweet deal. I may be studying abroad in Kyoto this fall, so I'll get to see all the beautiful colors.

17. hanya

hanya Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    I don`t know if you still watch this board...

If you stay in tokyo, you should visit to STAR CASE. http://starcase.jp/shop.html
    You can find huge old and rare starwars goods. This shop is located in Kouenji and you can go there by JR line.

anyway, Have a nice trip and MTFBWY!:)

18. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Hmm interesting. Based on the activity of this board, I didn't think there was a large Star Wars following in Japan.

19. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    That's probably because most Star Wars fans in Japan hang out on message boards where you can post in Japanese. o_O

- lazy

20. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Hey... that's right near me! :eek: I usually just go shopping in Nakano as there are heaps of stores there that sell Star Wars stuff.

And Goodfellas, let me know closer to the day when you're coming over here. I can atleast point you in the right direction around Tokyo and maybe even go out to Roppongi for a few drinks with you. ;)

21. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Yeah, thats a good point. Though I would think English speaking foreigners would want to come here.

22. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Well speaking of gaijin, I bought my plane tickets to Japan. I'm going there July 19th. Is it going to be ridiculously hot?

Anyone know where I should go to buy my rail pass? I was hoping the NYC Consulate would be the place.

23. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    It won't be ridiculously hot in July - that happens in August, so you'll be just in time to enjoy it. ;)

24. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Ah, good.

Can you recommend anything I should definitely do in the city?

25. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Well, firs I'd recommend going to Tocho. It's a buliding in Nishi-shinjuku with an observation deck on the 42nd floor - it's pretty good to see the size of Tokyo. After that, probably head toward Shibuya/Harajuku and make your way to Yoyogi Park - because it's Summer, there will probably be a festival or event on.

Akihabara is always good if you're just visiting - lots of geeky stuff there.

If you want the 'R' rated version of what to do, PM me. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.