main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How much of Lucas' ST treatments ended up in the films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seeker Of The Whills, Jan 24, 2022.

1. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I don't think this is equivalent at all.

Here's a few reasons why:

1. Your premise seems to suggest that the ST is like the experimental/artsy/risky version of the painted house? In reality, the ST was a much more traditional version of SW designed to appeal to the broadest audience possible and to (unlike the PT) not push boundaries or the envelope too much. It was packaged and sold as "getting back to basics."

Many fans (and GL himself) complained that there wasn't enough "new" in the ST. Like he did with the PT, George Lucas's version of the ST very likely could/would have pushed Star Wars into a new aesthetic and sensibility and story. Instead of adhering to the style/story seen in the OT, a Lucas created ST may have been to something more esoteric like Mortis arc that we saw in TCW.

Also, whether the lime green/pink house or the graffiti house are more beautiful or appealing is simply a matter of taste and opinions vary depending on whom you talk to.

2. Your analogy doesn't mention that the painter actually paid you billions of dollars to flat out own your house. Despite the fact that you built your house from the ground up, lived their for many years, did many upgrades, much of the financing, and the restorations yourself....you gave chose to sell your beautiful beloved house apparently without any home sale contingencies.

Then, on your way out, despite the fact you handpicked the landlord of your old house, you compared the painting company "white slavers" after the fact. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    KyleKartan likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    you put for more effort in analysing my analogy than I did in making it, which admittedly was 2 seconds

so Kudos to you I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    jaimestarr likes this.
  3. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    :)

4. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    First and foremost I want to state this because I feel the need to make it clear: I LOVE George Lucas, I admire him, he is an idol of mine. The guy is a genius. Would I have loved an actual Lucas made ST? YES YES YES. Would I have liked Lucas beeing more involved with the ST that was made? Of course.

BUT: as @jaimestarr as described mutiple times over multiple threads: It is on himself that we never got an actual Lucas made or at least Lucas involved ST. He chose to sell and handpicked the future guys in charge for LFL and SW, Kennedey and Disney. He chose to step out of beeing a creative consultant for the ST because he knew that wouldnt work because in the end he wouldnt have the control he would have wanted. He paved the ground so the ST we got could have been made. Thats objective fact.

Lucas had his reasons to sell. He knew how much time and effort more SW would take for him. He didnt want that. Thats fair. Thats ok. Thats human and understandable. He wanted SW to grow beyond Lucas! He wanted other creative people to play in the SW Sandbox. Thats whats happening now with SW is exactly what he wanted to achive with the selling. Thats what he told us. So mission accomblished.

About Lucas feeling betrayed: I really dont think he felt BETRAYED in a sense of we understand. Lucas was bitter. He was hurt. He regretted his step to sell. At least for a bit. But he came over it. If he felt the way I just described he came over it because he's a grown up man. And he probably understood his responsibility in the matter. Lucas visited multiple Disney projects. He visited the Roque One Set, the Solo Set, the Mando Set. He met with JJ after Episode VII to discuss Ep IX. He was at the premiere of Episode VII (after the white slavers comment). He understood his part in the story and he came over his feelings.

For me: Iam happy that SW grows beyond Lucas. Not because of him but becaue it needs to grow out of Lucas to stay relevant and important. And considering what we got after the deal (and what we're about to get) Iam more then happy with the deal. Lucas paved the ground, he build up this franchise to one of the biggest brands in pop culture history. But Lucas wont be here forever unfortunatly so it needs to stand on its own legs and grows out his control. It should stay withhin the rules Lucas set (and it does until this day) but it needs to evolve and grow. Thats whats happening and its a good thing. With Lucas we never would have been in a positon we are now where we have multiple shows, movies. We wouldnt get Ewan and Hayden back. We wouldnt get Tem back. Disney is a poerhouse of money which can do all those things. Iam thankfull and happy that were in a place we are now where SW is alive, well and succsessfull. And that is because of Lucas. Its because of Lucas built up the company and franchise, how he developed the franchise and its because he sold it at the right time.

Sauron_18 and jaimestarr like this.
  5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm not sorry at the idea that Lucas gave the reins of SW to other people. I just hate some of the stuff that's resulted in that decision. I hated some of the stuff before that decision too.

But I don't blame Lucas for voicing his negative opinions on stuff, no more than I blame Mark Hamill in regards to how Luke was written. They shouldn't have to pretend to be neutral about what they don't like for fear of people throwing the "Well YOU let it happen!" reply at them.

And we don't know if we'd get any of the kind of content Disney is making now with Lucas still in charge. Who knows, maybe we would've gotten stuff like an Obi-Wan series. But I care less about how how SW stays relevant and gets gloats of content than I do in its quality. I mean, it's not like it was really in danger of becoming obscure before Disney took over.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022