main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph How often do you see movies in the theatre (and which ones have you seen this year)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ArtemusGordon, Jul 5, 2018.

?

So, how many?

1. 0

14.3%
  2. 1

5.7%
  3. 2

10.0%
  4. 3-6

25.7%
  5. 7-10

12.9%
  6. 11-25

12.9%
  7. 25+

18.6%
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    3-6. I don't know if I've ever gone 10 times in one year.

Annihilation, Black Panther, and Solo for this year so far.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Black Panther, Infinity War and Solo are the ones that stick in my head. I’ll probably go two or three more times before the end of the summer once in the fall and once around Christmas time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    When I was in my 20s I'd say I averaged twice a month. If it was a major release, I saw it. Now that I'm in my 40s I'd say that's dropped to about 4-6 per year. There are a number of factors; 1.) Less free time, 2.) It used to be a group activity w/friends, who similarly now have less free time, 3.) The shorter window between theatrical release and the streaming/DVD release has caused me to just wait for many films that I'm on the fence about, 4.) The quality of the home viewing experience is much closer to that of the theatrical one than it was in the days of VHS and box sets TVs, 5.) Quite honestly the product of late just hasn't been very enticing.

Thus far this year I've seen 4 films theatrically; Ready Player One, Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Solo. Looking @ the remainder of the '18 schedule, I see 2 that are probably locks (Antman/Wasp and Mission Impossible 6) and 4-6 that are maybes w/various things factoring in.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    It depends on the movie and the year. Saw Infinity War 2x and Deadpool 2. Might see some older movies at special screenings, but the theater experience is less fun for me now.

5. OzRadio

OzRadio Jedi Knight

Jul 2, 2018
    Star Wars is the only film I'll go see in the theatre and I'll see them twice because the first viewing I spend most of the movie thinking "What in the world is going on? Who's that character? Why is s/he doing that?" I'm maybe not the most observant filmgoer! Occasionally the wife and I will go see a Broadway broadcast.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I have had almost exactly this problem as well for the past quarter century, except that my wife won't watch sci fi or fantasy, although she made an extremely rare concession for Shape of Water, which we both loved. Logan Lucky was one of the few other movies we've watched together in the past year. She'll do a heist movie.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    When I was younger, in my twenties, I would have often go to the movie theater about 3-4 a month because I had more time on my hands. However, nowadays, it's about 10-15 times year. But that may change with the certain theater chains offering a subscription, like AMC; which allows a person with a subscription to see up to 3 movies a week for around $20 a month. This would include movies shown in IMax, Dolby Cinema and Real 3D. If I lived closer to an AMC theater instead of a Cinemark one, then I would totally sign up for AMC's A List subscription and watch about 3-4 flicks a month.

8. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I have seen...

The Black Panther
    Peter Rabbit
    The Avengers Infinity War
    Solo
    Adrift
    The Incredibles 2
    Jurassic World
    The Commuter
    A Quiet Place
    Annihilation
    Ready Player One
    Sergeant Stubby? The war dog cartoon

I live at least thirty-five minutes away from a cinema, and I would probably see more if I lived closer to one.

9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've watched
    Black Panther
    Avengers Infinity War
    Solo
    Deadpool 2

I also watched Darkest Hour but that came out last year.

I'm definitely watching Incredibles 2 since the first one was a huge part of my childhood and I still love it today. Will probably also watch Ant-Man and Wasp too since most films I go to watch tend to be Marvel movies nowadays.

Doesn't seem to be much else for me this year but I'll hopefully get to see Mortal Engines since I love the books it's based on. Possibly Aquaman as well but I still need to see Wonder Woman and Justice League before that.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just don't have time to see movies more than once in the theater. I did see Mad Max Fury Road twice, but that's because I saw it on a mid-sized screen and I knew about ten minutes in that I was going to have to go to the premium theater to see it on the biggest screen in the state. I just needed to see it that big, it was so amazing.

I go a lot though. I always have a ton of stuff I want to watch at home, but I like to support my local arthouse and I'm a sucker for popcorn fare as well, sometimes. So far this year, I'm not sure, let me check my list.

Annihilation
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Beast
    Call Me By Your Name
    The Death of Stalin
    First Reformed
    Foxtrot
    Hostiles
    I, Tonya
    Isle of Dogs
    Loveless
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    A Quiet Place
    Revenge
    The Rider
    Thoroughbreds

Darkest Hour
    Deadpool 2
    A Fantastic Woman
    Tomb Raider
    Unsane

Ready Player One
    The Seagull

Downsizing

You Were Never Really Here

That seems to be my list as of now. Each section there is a half-star or star level drop in quality with each section being in alphabetical order. That's how I keep the list in my yearly file (yes, I have a yearly file!). Anyway, that's twenty-six.

Oh, yeah, um, might as well toss up my letterboxd account, if you want to keep track of what I'm also watching at home. My reviews on Letterboxd are typically one to two sentences, not the mammoth ones I post around here. If anybody else is on letterboxd, hit me up. I've been meaning to post this in the At the Movies thread for a while now.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I used to average 50+ times a year (including multiple viewings), but that number has dropped significantly over the last two years just due to school, money and trying to get a career started. Of course, my preference to see Marvel, SW & some DCEU in full-sized IMAX has necessitated cutting back on a few smaller movies every now and then since not only is the admission ticket itself more money, but there's the cost of a train ticket & subway on top of that (albeit the latter two can be justified as more multipurpose in nature and arne't exclusively for the movie itself; still, that brings a trip to the movies up to around $60 without concessions).

Buuut I'll be getting it back up there eventually. That AMC pass will certainly help, particularly around Oscar season (no longer need to to try and time all those free Regal passes my boss gave me 5+ years ago).

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I can't stand going to the movies usually so it's about 3-4 a year for ones that I really want to see. This year so far has been:

Avengers
    Deadpool 2
    Annihilation

I'll probably go see Incredibles and Ant Man too though but I don't think there's much else this year.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I could not put an average number per year on it. So far:

The Black Panther
    Ready Player One
    Infinity War
    Deadpool2
    Solo
    Incredibles 2
    Jurassic World
    Ant Man and The Wasp

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    - Coco
    - Solo

Going to the Incredibles 2 tomorrow. Shame, should be called Mofo.

15. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    Just tossed a follow your way...

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I guess I see about eight films a year on average.

This year I've seen:

Black Panther
    Deadpool 2
    Infinity War
    Solo

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Wait it's actually

- Coco
    - Coco
    - Solo
    - Solo

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    And one more possibility: I thinking about going to see the 50th Anniversary revival of "Yellow Submarine". Depends on my schedule.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Solo
    Deadpool2
    Avengers 3 .
    Bladerunner 2
    but I think I'm forgetting another .

anyway , I go a lot less than I used to , distance and price mainly.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I assume this question is referring to seeing unique movies and not just watching the same movie half a dozen times in the theaters. Depending how good the movies are for the year, I could see about 5 to 6 movies over the course of 12 months.

Here's what I've seen so far in theaters for 2018:
    Ready Player One
    Annihilation
    Solo

I probably would've seen Avengers Infinity War if it was still in theaters now; but I guess I missed out. The next movie I plan on seeing in theaters is Battle Angel Alita and then The Girl in the Spider's Web; but those movies come out in the fall and winter. It's possible I'll see another movie or two during the Summer, but I don't know yet. I'm extremely picky at seeing movies in theaters as you can see.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Annihilation is kind of an outlier there in terms of the other four you've prioritized or will be prioritizing in the theater. What did you think about it? It's a real oddity. Really bold of the studio to even attempt a broad release. Or, honestly, to release it at all in the form it was in. I really, really liked it.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Annihilation was the one I was seeing purely for myself and enjoyment, that's probably why. It's also the one I liked best out of all of those, probably my favorite movie I've seen in theaters in a long time. It's been forever since I've seen a movie where I just didn't know what direction the story was going to go, where you don't fully know the rules of their world.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That’s a big assumption and there is quite the gap between once and six, Buddy.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well it seems like there are people in these boards who see some of the most recent SW movies in theaters multiple times and then rant about them anyway in the forums. I just don't get that.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd say once a month on average, sometimes twice.

So far this year, I've seen
    Black Panther
    Ready Player One
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Deadpool 2
    Solo
    Incredibles 2
    Ant-Man and the Wasp

On my radar for the rest of the year (most likely to see in the theater - bolded)
    (Bo Burnham's) Eighth Grade
    Mission Impossible Fallout
    Christopher Robin
    The Predator
    Venom
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Fantastic Beasts 2
    Wreck It Ralph 2
    Creed 2
    Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse
    Aquaman
    Bumblebee