main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How often do you watch through the whole Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theskycorvair, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I used to watch the Lucas Saga about once a year, but now I have watched the PT ten times and the OT three times in the last two months. I might have gotten addicted to the PT and am watching it on loop right now. It's just so mesmerizingly beautiful with it's visuals, and the themes speak to me. [face_hypnotized]

2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I tried to do an eleven movie marathon over the New Year holiday, but at over 24 hours of run time, I couldn't do it. I ended up having to split it over two days. I usually do trilogy watches every month. Prequels+Solo, RO+Originals, ST, are my usual "trilogies", but sometimes I mix it up. ROTS+Solo+RO+ANH used to be a nice watch, but doesn't do it for me anymore.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I used to watch I-VI basically annually, with occasional sporadic viewings of individual movies in the interim, before the ST came out. These days the viewings are much more sporadic on the whole, basically whichever chapter I am in the mood for, and with more time in between.

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I've recently been speed watching the saga in selected clips.. will only watch again all way through with a child whose not seen it

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I’ve actually been editing the whole saga down to about an hour for personal viewing. Not joking. Can’t show it publicly for copyright reasons.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  6. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i did a viewing of what I felt to be my favorite or most important scenes of around 25 minute length to make them like clone war episodes from 1 to 9 including all series. you can see it on the thread i wrote a story of two halves that I hope you'd find interesting

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  7. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    Because of lockdown and having a lot of spare time I have watched most of the Star Wars content that is on Disney Plus including 1-9 I try to watch at least a film a month at a time but now I have Disney Plus it will hopefully be more frequent and hopefully more frequently for a 1-9 saga viewing

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I've reached a point of trying to make it an event at least once a year. I just finished watching Episodes I-VI, Solo, Rogue One, The Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian all in chronological order. Needless to say that I'm pretty burned out and will need to take a break before doing anything like that again, especially with all of the shows coming out in the next few years.

Next time around, I think I will do a "legends" rewatch, again in chronological order, and watch the George Lucas saga (unaltered versions of the OT), the 2003 Clone Wars series and possibly read the newspaper comics that went from 1979-1984. They're absolutely amazing and an aspect of Star Wars media that takes place between ANH and ESB.

9. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Never tried it as there's too much content these days. There was a time when you could watch it all in one evening. I have some time off due soon so might try then as I haven't seen the prequels for about 10 years.

TripleZero likes this.
  10. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    I haven't done a full 9 film marathon yet, but I watch the OT back to back at least twice a year. I've only done a 1-6 run once.

11. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I attended an OT screening event including all three original films some years ago. My butt still hasn't forgiven me. The idea of having a crazy marathon month including TCW, Rebels and Mando brings me out in a cold sweat.

My daughter and I watched the films over the course of a week a while back. I struggle to accept the ST as part of the saga so if I do it again will probably restrict it to I-VI (including RO).

When I was younger and SW's competition was BTTF and Indiana Jones, I'd watch the OT on repeat. These days there's so much stuff to watch; films, TV shows (which are far superior in quality to the stuff from back then), YouTube documentaries, unboxing videos (only joking - I hate unboxing videos)... SW is not the centre of attention it once was. Still awesome though!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  12. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    In an episode of The Big Bang Theory, Raj says about 'the machete' order. Watch ANH and TESB, then watch AOTC and ROTS as flashbacks then finish with ROTJ. I kind of like that idea.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Back in the days when there were only six films, I concocted a viewing order of my own that I tried a couple times and had fun with.

I-IV-II-V-III-VI

I figured that way it pairs each beginning, middle, and end chapter together in three double features. Start off with TPM and see the Republic in its heyday, with young Anakin at its center, and then pick up in the 'modern' story in ANH, to see just how much the world has been squashed by the Empire, meet Anakin's son Luke, and learn that somewhere in the interim, Anakin has died. Then move onto AotC and see Anakin in his time as a Jedi, and pay off Obi-Wan's comment in ANH about the Clone Wars. That leads into TESB, and following our presentation of Anakin as a Jedi in AotC, there we get the actual truth - Anakin didn't die, and he is now Vader. Once we learn the truth, we move right into Anakin's fall in RotS, and then that leads directly into his redemption in RotJ.

oierem likes this.
  14. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    With so much new stuff coming out, I've been thinking about how I'm going to keep up with it all while still having semi-regular re-watches of older material without experiencing burnout. My idea is to pick a day of the week to watch Star Wars and then go through the canon in chronological order. On that day I watch one of the movies or an episode/arc of one of the shows. When a new show is airing, I take a break from my re-watch and just watch the new show. When it's over, I go back to my chronological re-watch.

Am I overthinking this? Yeah, probably. :p

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm in the middle of going thru all 11 films. I'm just about to start ESB tonight. Quite enjoying it, as I haven't done this since just before TROS came out. I've watched some random ones here and there but some others (like TPM) not since then. Now that I have the 4K Blu-ray versions of the OT, it's been very enjoyable!

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  16. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    My routine is pretty simple: I watch 1 SW movie each week only on the weekend. Now sometimes I'm busy on the weekend (For example when the NFL playoffs are on in January), so I don't get to watch anything. But that keeps the movies fresh as I'm always excited for the next chapter of the Skywalker Saga. I go in order 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, then start over again with Episode 1. Right now I'm up to Episode 5 in 2021, as I've watched 1,2,3,4 over the month of Jan/Feb. Yes, I'm also OCD and need therapy. LOL

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  17. Justin Lee McFarland

Justin Lee McFarland Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2021
    I usually watch the series in chronological order twice a year. Sometimes I'll do all nine movies while skipping Clone Wars and Rebels, but skipping the shows feels like I'm leaving a big gap in the saga.

darthfettus2015 and Aah Fisto like this.
  18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    When I was younger I used to watch 1-6 a lot. Like every few months. But ever since TLJ came out I kind of lost interest because it's so depressing how it all ends. The last two films are just so bad. :(

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  19. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    At this point, there's no "whole saga", just favorite story arcs within the franchise. I even treat the OT and PT separately now as they each have their own rhythm with a beginning and payoff. I'm on my second Filonverse marathon in the past year (TCW+Rebels+Mando) though I suspect over time, I'll split those up too as it's going to get unmanagable.

20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    This is an interesting way of presenting the movies, indeed!

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  21. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I watched 1-6 before 7 came out. Even that didn't really feel like one saga for me, and 1-9 definitely wouldn't. I've watched 4-6 innumerable times.

22. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    1-9 Inc all spin off and TV when grandkids are born decades away

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I will watch the entire Saga frequently, but not at an entire sitting. I have a wife, dogs, and a life outside of SW so I cant waste approximately 27 hours per week doing this. :p

24. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Well, I started my annual 1-6 re-watch last night. My newfound love for TPM continues to grow...

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I haven't done a I-VI viewing in years. It might be fun to try that out again, but I'd need someone to watch them with.