main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

CT How old were you when you heard Vader's Revelation?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SateleNovelist11, Jul 19, 2018.

?

What was your age?

1. 4-13

88.4%
  2. 14-18

11.6%
  3. 19-29

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 30 or older

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I definitely found out about it before actually watching the movie (around 5 years old I think?). I either found out about it before even watching the original Star Wars or shortly after. As a kid, I always found it to be the scariest of the three and would try to avoid watching it in favor of the other two with their happy endings. And despite not having any memories associated with finding out about "the twist", it's still one of my favorites in the saga because it has way more going for it than just that revelation.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    When I first saw Vader's mask come off in ROTJ, I definitely thought he was older than his mid-forties. However, this was before I knew that Palpatine was a human and not an alien. I didn't understand the concept of dark side degradation until I saw Darth Maul's eyes in TPM. I do recall being grossed out and curious when I saw the back of Vader's head in TESB. I was like, "What happened to him?" I knew he was human, evidently, due to his use of Force abilities. But the notion of his face didn't come up in my mind until that point. Darth Vader's mystique was in part based on those questions. I still contend that how Vader became Vader isn't as interesting as his redemption. I did not see it coming, but I was delighted and it gave me hope when it did. It's rare for a story to do that.

Lulu Mars, StartCenterEnd and Sarge like this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Force Ghost star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can't remember a time when I didn't know. My earliest Star Wars memories are playing with the figures that were initially my sister's. I think she and my dad explained the story to me before I was old enough to actually follow the movies. "Spoilers" weren't really a thing for our family. Vader as Luke's dad was just how the story went, not really some huge shocker.

Etav Byx likes this.
  4. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    Since I come from a non-English speaking background and my paternal uncle (who first showed me Star Wars) had to explain mostly what was going on because my English was half-and-half and not entirely used to the American pronunciation, I learned the revelation differently.

When i asked my maternal cousin who once showed me Spaceballs, if he'd seen Star Wars, he replied yes. As we got talking, he told me "in part three Darth Vader is Luke's father". I was seven at the time so I assumed that in part one and two Luke and Vader had no relationship and part three was another story.

But when i became proficient in English, i heard the revelation, I still thought I was misinterpreting it. "It's not part three yet, so i'm not hearing this correctly". But then once most of my English vocab had become more familiar, I understood the films properly and realized that this is a revelation and Luke wasn't aware of it, but Vader was. So the revelation didn't quite strike me as it did most other fans.

5. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    ^^ There was also a time when I thought maybe Vader was Luke's step father because in fairy tales, step parents are bad and mean to harm the main character like in Cinderella or Snow-white, but my uncle corrected that.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Believer in the Rule of Law and Provost Marshal star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Darth Voldemort Please use the edit feature at the bottom of the the original post to add more contact rather than double posting.

7. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Irvin Kershner did say he wanted TESB to be a gloomy fairy tale. They succeeded.

Jediking97 and Ava G. like this.
  8. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Sadly I don't remember my reaction to the scene. I was introduced to Star Wars at a really young age.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    For a lot of 90s kids, the story was already out there and well known. There was never any big shock while actually watching the movies.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Force Ghost star 7

May 18, 2017
    11. It was a shock. The whole theater gasped.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  11. OzRadio

OzRadio Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2018
    I was five when Empire came out, I don't recall my reaction.

12. Darth_Nathan

Darth_Nathan Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2018
    When I first watched the original trilogy, I watched them in the wrong order. I suppose I could blame my young age for not noticing the numbered titles, but in any case Vader's revelation was completely ruined by me seeing Return of the Jedi before Empire Strikes Back. Ooops! :p

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Amusing, Darth Nathan. Oh, well. I can't say I envy those who watch the prequels before the original films. It ruins the surprise and the mystery. I think the best viewing order is as follows: ANH, TESB, and then the prequels, R1, and then ROTJ...with the sequel trilogy afterward. (I liked TFA all right, but I won't talk about TLJ and how it totally forgot how Luke helped his father and Luke's personality in general.)

Behind-the-scenes documentation has shown us just how talented James Earl Jones can be. His Vader voice in ANH is expressive, frustrated, and domineering, as though it is a man behind the mask. In contrast, Lucas got what he originally intended with the cyborg, implicitly and frighteningly explored in TESB. As such, Jones' voice is the vocabulator behind the mask. It is the machine speaking for him, for his real voice is naught but a whisper. This is why Jones consider his performance a "special effect." TESB shows Vader with a growling, menacing voice, and it only becomes more psychological toward the end, for revealing that he was Luke's father affected him deeply and unexpectedly. That and the body language help us to understand why Vader does not kill Piett in the end. He's become focused on what he's done and his relationship with his son, as opposed to his prior obsession with revenge against Palpatine and the perverted brand of justice he espouses for the galaxy. Thus, Jones was allowed to do what he always wanted in RTOJ with a more psychological portrayal of Vader's voice, for it is in that film that he is at his most expressive. More recently, some have complained about the voice, but no one is gonna sound the same way they did in 1980. Lol. For this reason, Jones emphasizes Vader's syllables and acts a bit more machine-like in Star Wars Rebels and Rogue One. It makes sense, and is menacing enough for Krennic in R1 and shows that he is a corrupted, tragic man beneath a mask in Rebels. Ahsoka can't bring Anakin out of Vader. It's not that only Luke could. Luke was a part of Padme, and Vader had a codependent, unhealthy relationship with her, and yet he loved her, and Luke was part of Padme, just as Leia was. When you look at Vader's life as revolving mainly around his mother, Padme, Ahsoka, and his two children, along with his lost friendship with Obi-Wan and his messed up servitude to Palpatine, it becomes more interesting. He's certainly mentally ill and damaged, but that does not excuse his crimes. However, it shows that Anakin/Vader is almost Shakespearean and truly one of the best presented characters in the films, the old EU, and even the new canon. Messed up, tragic characters done right are intriguing.

christophero30 likes this.
  14. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    12ish

I overhead it actually but brushed it off....till I finally saw ESB. Rather than a shock per say, it was an out of body experience. Forever then a SW fan.

MJ

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm sure it would be an interesting experience for a teen.

I wonder who will voice Vader when JEJ passes. Jones is great, though. They should get the guy who voiced him in The Force Unleashed. That was a good one.

It's a pity Vader wasn't more of an antihero. It would have been cool if he actually was protecting Leia on the Death Star. Scary but awesome dad.

16. Darth Caliban

Darth Caliban Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It was 1994 and i was 15 when i watched ESB for the first time. It was also the first star wars movie that i saw

17. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 26, 2018
    ...I think I actually saw the "No, I am your father" line first on someone's shirt ( I don't know how I made the connection to Vader and Luke, I must have heard people talking about it or something), before I even knew what Star Wars was... so when I got into it, I kind of knew all along... it was weird... :p Somewhat similar to @MarcJordan , I guess ;)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Great introduction, although seeing the best one first has its drawbacks, given how many revile the later ones, such as AOTC and TLJ.

From a visual standpoint, Vader looks the best in TESB in terms of how Kershner used lightning.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  19. YT-2400

YT-2400 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 3, 2008
    I saw ESB in the theater which means I was probably 8 years old at the time.

I don't recall being spoiled in any way before seeing the film. I read Marvel's comic adaption but I think that was after I'd seen the film. (Different case with ROTJ).

I wouldn't say I was shocked by it, more like Whoooaaaaaa! He's Luke's dad!

I was more shocked by the kissing scenes hahahaha. Leia kissing Luke, Han kissing Leia, they luuuuvvvvv each other. What?!

20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, too much kissing. Such an awkward love triangle.

It makes you wonder how Vader would have felt about it had he known that Leia was his daughter back then.

21. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    8 or 10 maybe (I can't exactly remember when I started getting somewhat into Star Wars - which eventually became an obsession).

22. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    It was 1980, and I was 11. Unfortunately, I'd read a movie review in the newspaper before the movie which spilled the beans. I'd hoped that maybe Vader was lying.

23. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 5

Dec 15, 2000
    Seven. It didn't sucker punch me because I still hadn't picked my jaw up from the floor after watching 3PO blown apart, Han being tortured then frozen, Luke hit with boxes and being sucked out of a giant window then Vader going ape and lopping Luke's hand off. It was a lot to take in.

SateleNovelist11 and sith_rhino like this.
  24. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 14, 2018
    I was 5 or 6 at the time. But I'm French so it was actually a revelation by "Dark Vador". :D

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Je suis ton père.

BlackRanger likes this.