main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How old were you when you heard Vader's Revelation?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SateleNovelist11, Jul 19, 2018.

?

What was your age?

1. 4-13

87.3%
  2. 14-18

12.7%
  3. 19-29

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 30 or older

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    I saw ESB when I was 4 years old. I don't remember watching watching the scene where Darth Vader may have been his real father. I did not find out about it until the late 80's when I heard about who really was Luke Skywalker's father . I must of fallen asleep at the theater in 1980 .:eek:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I don't remember the moment, but at the time I was devouring Starlog magazine, and I am pretty sure this was spoiled well before I saw the movie.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I was 10 or 11. A lot of my friends at the time thought Vader was lying, we thought there was no way Obi wan would lie to Luke. :p

GregMcP likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Almost 9 Because of my age, I am not sure I really appreciated the magnitude of the reveal.

5. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Technically, one could argue that Ben was telling the truth......from a certain point of view

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    that's what all liars say :p

SateleNovelist11 and theMaestro like this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Obviously, it was a retcon, but we're lucky that Alec Guinness was portraying Obi-Wan as being hesitant when he told Luke that Vader had killed his father in ANH. Otherwise, the retcon wouldn't have worked. Due to the prequels, I'm certain that, in-universe, Obi-Wan was thinking of what Yoda said: "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." Obi-Wan had probably considered this situation years advance, and he elected, in his mind, to spare Luke from the truth because he didn't believe he could handle it. Yoda either advised him to do so, or Yoda went along with it after being told by Obi-Wan's Force ghost. Of course, a deleted scene from ROTJ depicts Yoda saying that Obi-Wan would have told Luke long ago if Yoda had not forbidden him to do so.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I've kind of always known. I was born in 1985, my mom was 17 in 1977 and a massive Star Wars fan. I scooted around in a Darth Vader romper as a baby, and had my mom's Star Wars bedsheets on my bed when I got closer to kindergarten age. Star Wars was my bedtime stories; I would point to the characters on the sheets and my mom would tell me stories about them, and the detail of Luke and Leia's parentage was definitely a part of them. I didn't end up actually seeing the movies themselves until I was 10, when the THX VHS box set came out.

9. Kujab

Kujab Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2018
    My father took me to the movies on Star Wars when I was 5 years old. I remember because Tazos (such tokens) from Star Wars were added in packs of chips.
    I liked the film, but I did not understand much of it.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I remember going into Empire the big question was who would win the princess. Then I saw the poster and was like "it's Han." I thought it would be Luke. Ignorance is bliss.

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Between the age of 5 and 7.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was born a year after ESB came out in theaters. Also my parents weren't "big on sequels," saying that ANH should've been the only SW film released, and the rest were just a cash grab. (Imagine how they feel about films THESE days!!) So, I didn't even really sit thru ESB all the way non stop until I was in about 6th grade, around the time they were released on VHS. I saw ROTJ before ESB actually!! So for me the whole Vader father reveal was not really revealed to me, it was more just...something I knew.

Anyways, I didn't really start to become the fan I am now until the PT started coming out-when I was in college, and becoming more interested in movies....

13. skyabovethesky

skyabovethesky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2019
    6 years old, summer 1980

14. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    I was six. I remember being so happy for Luke and not understanding why he screamed and then jumped. I was even upset with him, because I immediately liked Vader very much. It's still funny to remember my reaction. [face_tee_hee]

Triad Moons and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I was six in 1980 when TESB was released, but I don't remember the revelation because I was on the floor in the cinema amongst the popcorn and cigarette ends crying my eyes out because I thought they had killed Han Solo.

Slightly relevant side point: I remember seeing a trailer for ROTJ in 1983 and seeing a clip of Han Solo throwing the scout rider against the tree on Endor. I look back now and think that this was quite a spoiler, as many people at the time thought that was it for Han, and didn't expect him to return.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  16. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I was born in the 90s so the revelation had become a staple of pop culture then and constantly parodied to death by then. So, I was sort of aware of the reveal through osmosis even before seeing Empire Strikes Back.

This sort of revealed the twist to me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    That's why I always think it's odd when people say, "You have to watch the films in release order, otherwise it ruins the surprise!" There really can't be many people who don't already know about it. Then again, I did lend the DVDs to a friend one time, and she had never seen any SW movies before, and did not know about Luke and Vader's relationship. It didn't impress her much, though, when she found out (I asked her, "Did you watch Empire yet?" "Yeah, last night." "Were you surprised?" "About what?" "About what Vader told Luke?" "Oh yeah, that. That was okay.")

Anyway, as for me, I was 6 when ESB was released. I was pretty convinced Vader was just trying to trick Luke, but a part of me thought he MIGHT be telling the truth. That was before internet spoilers, so I didn't know for sure until I saw ROTJ.

18. catmom46

catmom46 Jedi Padawan

Oct 9, 2017
    9 years old,June 1980.

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Interesting. I don't know why Lucas ever edited Palpatine's scream and put it in Luke's mouth for TESB. Glad he got rid of that.

Yeah, Vader is a fascinating character. This is also true in Legends and the Disney Canon. He's brutal, but I recently saw that he attracted Space Harley Quinn.

20. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    Lord Vader attracts women, that's for sure. But the character from that comic is terrible... Unfortunately, any abnormal milord is also attractive...

BlackRanger and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    She was terrible. She came off like those weird YouTube members who were in love with his breathing.

I'm not even a straight woman, and Vader intrigues me. Lol.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I was seven. I actually saw bits of 'Return of the Jedi' a few years before seeing 'Empire' so I think I sort of knew although I can't really remember...

23. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    The Special Edition giveth and the Special Edition taketh away. Cursed be the name of the Special Edition.

SW is a vampire franchise. So many of its best ideas (and some of its not-so-good ones) came from other stories. I don't remember if it was Ebert or another critic who called it a film pastiche.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Arguably, Vader's revelation was one of the major reasons that he became the most interesting Star Wars character for many. He's a complex, traumatized individual.

25. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I was 9 back in 1980