main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Discussion How open ended should the ending of Ep. IX be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Wrenegade, May 9, 2016.

1. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I hate open endings...so, no.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they left it open so they could make more. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

B99 likes this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I just want the Episode 9 to end with Rey grinning at the camera, all around her flames and dead bodies, and it's very clear. She's gone Dark.

Darth Basin and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016

=D= I love that!

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I want Rey to turn dark so bad! It's the only way I'll accept a Ben redemption.

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    (IF) We get another trilogy, Which I think would be legit, 12 ep Skywalker Saga. Then I wouldn't mind it being open ended .. BUT if this is the last trilogy, then I want a complete ending with no loose ends..

Darth Basin and DARTH_BELO like this.
  6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I think you can have an an unambiguous, conclusive ending to the plot of this trilogy while still introducing locations, relationships that do not necessarily need to be resolved in order to achieve a plot resolution but left as loose ends for developing in another trilogy.

And I don't mean in an epilogue where people say "What next?" and then someone says "Anyone ever heard of [insert name ofobscure or not so obscure but extant Star Wars character]?"

I would hate that. And it's been old hat since The Omen (1976)

Sarge and DARTH_BELO like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    I know that idea of "Darkside Rey" has been mentioned a lot on here before-but for unknown reasons, I've never really given it any thought. But now-now that I actually spent time pondering that idea.........[face_thinking] If Rey DID turn to the darkside, it could mean that they'd have a whole new trilogy beyond the ST to center on her redemption. Not to mention, it would be a nice twist! I...would actually quite enjoy that! Kind of mirroring Darth Vader's story, but not so closely that it seems like just a rehash. In a way, it's kind of almost like Episodes VII-IX would serve as a sort of prequel to Episodes X-XII, only they'd all be made in order. Nice.

I wouldn't say I PREFER that storyline, but I admit it IS intriguing!

B99 likes this.
  8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I've said it before on other threads but the only way I'll accept a Ren-demption is if Rey goes dark.

Also 2027 is the perfect year to launch the FT.

B99 likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I would like the ending to be as open ended as RotJ's ending. The ending was a clear victory for the Rebels and it allowed the ignorant people a false sense of conclusion. It also allowed years of further EU conflict for fans like me who were interested. RotJ's ending left so much room for more stories while still feeling like a happy ending.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Emperor Ferus

Emperor Ferus Chosen One star 7

Jul 29, 2016
    I've said it before, but I think everything should be wrapped up in Episode IX, at least concerning the characters in the ST. I'd prefer either an end to the Skywalker bloodline or the light vs/ dark side conflict. I don't want either Kylo redeemed or Rey joining the First Order.
    Snoke has to die or be eliminated by the end of IX. Maybe not Kylo, but I'd like for him to die too.

I may be open to a Kylo Ren redemption if he doesn't die, maybe go into permanent exile.

Luke, I want to either die, or be seen on Tatooine one last time, paralleling Obi Wan.

11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Ren pulling Rey back from seemingly certain darkness should tick everyone's boxes then, eh?

12. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    Considering that Kathleen Kennedy has claimed that they're planning not to do an Episode X, I certainly hope that it's not open-ended.

If it were up to me, Episode IX would end with the entire cast drinking in the Mos Eisley cantina, Rey performing a rendition of Bea Arthur's "Goodnight, but not Goodbye", and then after everyone else leaves, Rey sits down to have one last drink with the force ghosts of Luke, Han, and Leia. There's a final flat shot of all four of them at the table and we have the usual build-up to the ending theme music.

13. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I wouldn't mind continuing trilogies after the ST. They wouldn't have to be trilogies but further episodes and continue on like the James Bond series or the matinee serials of the depression era
    they were inspired from.

14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Source? I haven't seen that.

15. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It'll probably end similarly to A New Hope. In that if that's the final movie it'll have a fitting enough conclusion. However, there will be a thread or two left lose enough for a followup to be possible.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'm not even sure what the distinction should be, since any ending is technically open, short of the Star Wars galaxy literally being destroyed. I guess that it's more a matter of whether there is any character-based teasing or deliberately unresolved things. I could well see that being the case because I'm fairly certain that Lucasfilm will eventually make sequels, probably in the form of a future trilogy. Or--they won't do anything that takes that option off the table for the future.

17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Hey, Douglas Adams opted to destroy Earth in every conceivable universe, so you never know.