main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate How should Education be reformed?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Ghost, Sep 4, 2012.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    The most effective way to reform education would be to outlaw television, video games, and the internet.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Care to elaborate how that would be of any benefit?

3. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    People devote less time to their studies than they otherwise would because they can so easily distract themselves by the use of television, video games, and the internet.

That is my hypothesis anyway.

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In particular with the internet, though, there's also that that has been an incredible boon to education.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I'll begin working at City Year next week. Here is a good video that summarizes how they see the education crisis, and how to fix it:

(and these are their 10 core values)

I was most surprised to learn that 50% of high school dropouts come from only 12% of our schools, and that just reaching the 10th grade on-time makes students 4-times more likely to graduate from high school.

But while fixing the high school dropout crisis would be a great start, what else could be done to help?

Maybe, on the state-level, have the state governments pay for the first 30-60 credits of an in-state student's tuition/fees (as long as it's at either a state community college, state college, or state university, or state-recognized trade/technical school)? And perhaps expand the AmeriCorps, so they can hire more people (which already offers a $5550 education award to student loans after completing 1700 hours of service, and each person can already get 2-3 of these education awards).

Though I feel much more still needs to be done, with modernizing the curriculum itself, so high school diplomas and college degrees are still seen as valuable and prepare people better for the workforce too. Too often many teachers just want kids to graduate for the sake of them graduating, even if they have to lower their standards to pass them.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I forgot to mention, another thing that could be done is mandate pre-school for public schools, for the 2 years before kindergarten, all studies have shown that this can significantly help increase a child's chance at succeeding in school.