main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "How To Get Away With Murder"

Discussion in 'Community' started by SergeyX2017, Feb 4, 2017.

1. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Anyone else like that show? It's one of my favorites.

I just find the whole concept so interesting.

Like, normally, you'd want your protagonists to be positive characters, yes?

Here, the protagonists are a bunch of murderers (or, at least, accessories to murder) trying to, basically, escape justice. They've killed how many people, so far, the prof's husband (unfortunately accident, technically, but it started the whole damn thing), that girl, Rebecca, then the prosecutor, then one of them finds his dad whom he never knew about, only to have another one of them ****ing wack him too lol And now that kids gets killed too, for good measure.

I've only seen Russian mafia flicks where so many people died lol

And, like, some of the Friday the 13th movies, maybe :D

And yet, they are, sorta, what, the good guys here? And we are to cheer for them? Or what? Maybe the point is to evaluate your own self, like, if you sympathize with these folks, what does that say about you?

I don;t know. But I like this show, I really do. Can't wait to see the next episode. Plot is really awesome, and Viola Davis is a great actress, and the rest of the cast also do a superb job :) I'm definitely a fan.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I really like it as well.

Yeah, none of the main characters should be likeable people (with exception of Oliver, who only became main cast this year) and yet you still find yourself rooting for them. Shonda Rhimes shows seem to find a way to make you like unlikable people. I find the same things happens in Scandal.

I agree that the cast is great, but I think Viola Davis blows them all out of the water. She 100% deserved the Best Actress Emmy last year.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I loved this show for the first season, and most of second season too.

However, I lost interest once it started to become somewhat unbelievable. They just couldn't stay out of trouble and more murders happening until it got out of control. My fiance and I had a joke like "So Annalise is like actually addicted to murder, right?" because it seemed like too much of a coincidence to keep having these deaths with her at the center.

I do absolutely love Viola Davis though, she's a great actress. I loved her in The Help and as Amanda Waller she was one of the few character's in Suicide Squad who was great through and through. Her portrayal of Annalise is one to write home about, though.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I watched and enjoyed the first season, but once they killed-off Rebecca I lost interest, despite Viola Davis' fantastic lead performance.

I thought the set-up was very similar to Donna Tartt's novel The Secret History: an outsider from a poor background joins an elite group of students led by a charismatic professor, the story opens with a flash-forward to the narrator/protagonist dealing with hiding a corpse and worrying that the group will get found out, then you learn what led up to the murder.

SergeyX2017 likes this.