main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HOW TO MAKE LIGHTSABERS 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Frosty

Darth-Frosty Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2006
    Ok i've look and frankly i'm tired of looking for it so . . . . . How do you cut a person's arm off using a lightsaber in
    after effects.

2. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    subtraction mask. animate. bam

3. Darth-Frosty

Darth-Frosty Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2006
    Thanks for the answer but i would like a little more discription on how to do it. Thanks again

4. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Get a clean background plate. Mask off the limb you want to be cut off. Animate it to fall when it's cut. That's the simplest method.

5. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    Actually, the simplest method would be to do some cut away shots. I'll give an example.

2 fighters. Camera set to a mid shot. One fighters comes down in a sweeping high swing, 2nd fighter comes up to block. Positioning of fighters is that so we can see that if followed through the 1st lightsaber will cut though 2nd's arm. Cut to a close up of 2nd figher and he let's out a cry of pain. cut to a shot of the ground and show the arm falling (just drop it into the shot.) And there you have it. a sequence that will show a arm getting cut off. That is the simplest way you can do something like that and...(dun..dun.duuuuuuun) it's something that film makers have been doing for almost a 100 years and is still used to this day.

Now if you want to do it all computer animation and stuff like that to see if you can do it.... That I cannot help with.

6. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    [image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/0/0d/Mr_dooku_saber.jpg]
    The question is how am I going to construct a lightsaber prop that is similar to EP3 Dooku's saber. But I don't know how to get started.

7. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Use plumbing parts. Bend and change as needed. Use your imagination.

8. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    There are a few websites out there that show how to make Dooku's lightsaber from plumbing parts. Modify one of these to make it.. or take a desgin to a machine shop and see if they can make it for you.

Here is a online tutorial on how to build dooku's lightsaber in 20 minutes. It is NOT the most accurate thing in the world, but take his desgin and modify it and you should come up with something close.

http://kincharbamin.com/20-Minute-Saber.html

9. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Dunno what you're going to do about getting a prop blade in a curved hilt if it's for dueling, however.

10. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    Use my technique... it would be perfect for that kind of hilt... if you don't know what I am talking about see previous post. Otherwise send me a e-mail to

lightguru@hotmail.com

and I will get int touch with you.

11. Serpent

Serpent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2004
    You should add these programs:

EffectsLab Pro
    Apple's Motion

12. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'd recommend taking that 20-min Dooku tutorial, and instead of adding an equal-length cylinder on each side, instead keep the length on one side and the curved end will be enough to be pretty similar to the Dooku hilt.

The curve doesn't have a lot of length, it's just enough to pull off some interesting manuevers. I would like to try sparring with one like that one of these days; see what it's like.

13. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    There is another program called Cinepaint which is Free/Open Source software. It's a fork from The GIMP which is my weapon of choice when editing photos for the Web. It might be a very nice tool for this kind of stuff -- rotoscoping lightsabre blades, doing explodey things and Force Lightning, etc.

Actually the Linux development community for indie filmmaking is becoming pretty awesome because Linux is actually being used in places like WETA Workshop and Digital Domain and so forth. A lot of the programs on this page aren't 100% mature but they are getting there. And usually it's only a matter of time before something that starts on Linux gets ported to Windows and Mac OS X.

Oh yeah, and I want to point out my tutorial on building quick n' dirty lightsabre props. It's in my signature.

14. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    Just FYI for all interested in a cheap digital camera. I just bought a Aiptek Totally Digital camcorder for $149.99 It records onto a SD card and the resolution is pretty damn good. I am still experimenting on some of the setting, but so far I am impressed for the price. I find it to be a really good "Starter" digital camcorder and it doesn't break the bank.

I found it at Target.

15. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    I'm willing to bet that if it's got a decent resolution, it's running at a crap framerate.

16. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    Seems to be a good frame rate. Once I get more into it and experiment more I will post a full review of it on the forum. So far I am liking it... I mean it's not the greatest camera in the world and I am not going to be able to make a blockbuster hollywood film with it, but for a guy like me who can barely afford to pay his bills... this thing is the best I am going to get for now.

17. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    If your 'good framerate' is anything less than 24, it's a crap framerate.

18. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    I just went through my manuel and the framerate is 30fps. I know.. it's not great.. but I guess it is not "crap"

19. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    No, 30fps is perfectly fine! That's NTSC.

What rez does it record at?

20. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
    It has two different recordings. VGA records at 640X480 and QVGA records at half that. 320X240. Also the one I got is a 6MP camera so you can record at a 1MP a 3MP or a 6MP pixel size as well. You can also of course take pictures with the camera.

21. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I'm sure that it doesn't record video at 6MP. That'd be 2816x2112. That's over 2k. The HDC-F950 doesn't get that good.

EDIT:

SPECS: MPEG-4 video, Max rez:640x480, bitrate: 2840kbps(355KB/sec)

22. DarthDee

DarthDee Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2005
  23. Darth_Nossk

Darth_Nossk Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2006
    So, the standard length for a DB saber is 22". Damn. I have one that is probably about 18"-19". I hope that'll do.

My friends and I are going to make a Jedi Civil War era film- "Fall of Shadow"

Keep an eye out for it.:p

Darth Nossk [color/]

24. DarkShadowRage

DarkShadowRage Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2006
    Im currently trying to rotoscope me with my lightsaber for a teaser for my upcoming film. the only problem is the mask it's on all frames and not just the frames I want it to be. How do I fix this? I tried puting it off the canvas im using ryan webers tut for after effects but now my blades are all misalinged.. help? and also is it possible to change my enviroment from my room to somthing else with out a blue screen?

25. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    First part of your question: Change the opacity. But odds are you dragged the composition itself and not the mask, which is causing the misalignment.

Second part: Yes, but it's very difficult and time consuming. Rotoscoping out your actors, fun times. Just get a screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.