main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph How To Milk Your Franchise (HTTYD Live Action Remake)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Frozen is much better than Dragon 2. Now put Frozen against Dragon 1 and there's a discussion.

That is, if you must compare two films that have nothing in common other than they're animated.

In fact, whoever brought up Frozen in here has some odd insecurity issues. Wtf, really?

Edit: Eskimo, and then The Wombles fan stoked it. You both have issues. Esp you, Uncle Bulgaria.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Actually seriously and all that, you reckon the first one is better than the sequel?

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I think many people feel that way. The story of a boy and his pet is classic story telling and might resonate more with some people than the story of a boy becoming a man. Plus the tragedy in the sequel might make the film more "real" and somehow less magical to people who watch movies to escape.

Personally, I appreciate the daring and courage of DreamWorks to deliver a "children's" film unafraid of tragedy and maturity. This is perhaps one of the best sequels ever released in modern times and shows a lot of heart throughout its entirety.

Definitely a series so different from other computer animated offerings.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Will pick this movie up on Blu Ray when it gets released on the 11th of November

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh yes. There was an element of charm that I didn't feel with the second one. It could very well be what Ezio says.

However, I have only seen it once, my view may change with repeat viewings. All the better if it does :)

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I thought the sequel beat the original on most terms, actually.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    It's been almost a month now of my kids watching this every day. I'm still not sick of it. Great movie indeed ;)

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I watched it in the theaters with some friends and I loved it; can't wait for the DVD/BR release so the family can see it.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Word is Spielberg read a mostly final draft and it brought him to tears. Pretty high praise, I'd say. Not that I'm surprised, the first two have plenty of heartbreaking moments.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, the trailer for The Hidden World appeared to have moments that setup tear jerking moments, which means the trailer sold me on tickets. I love this "boy and his dog" story, which has been missing in cinema. I grew up on films like Lassie and Benji and the very emotional Old Yeller.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I can't wait to take my nephew to see this!

Sarge likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Has anyone seen the Homecoming special that aired this past week on ABC? It was on last night so I DVR'd it and just watched it today. It takes place before the epilogue of the last movie and directly ties into it; or at least tries to.

In the epilogue, Toothless doesn't seem to recognize Hiccup. Furthermore, the kids seem anxious and scared of Toothless. At the end of the special, they already seemed warmed up and eager to meet the dragons. I know it's a little nitpicking, but it still got me thinking about it.

15. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Regarding Homecoming:

I agree, the timelines and characterizations didn't line up for me either when they tried to tie it in to The Hidden World's epilogue. I've kind of head-canon'ed it away by believing the movie epilogue happened first based on Toothless's initial hostile reaction (and maybe that visit got Toothless thinking about Hiccup again and trying to draw him in the dirt), then Homecoming (the kids were young, maybe forgot about the visit to the dragons in the movie epilogue, then they found the book and got scared again), then Hiccup and Astrid visited the dragons again and the producers just reused the movie epilogue as "generic flying footage." But even this line of thought doesn't line up very well either. There are still discrepancies.

I wish we could've seen Valka in Homecoming, too. That would have been nice. Probably too many characters to juggle already for a short special, though.

In related news, DreamWorks just announced a HTTYD "Dragons Flight Academy" VR experience that I'd love to do (I adore these movies). But only three places in the world have it so far. Sigh, maybe someday.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    At least its the same who made the animated trilogy.

18. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Looking forward to the adaptation of the scene where toothless goes on a murderous rampage through kings landing torching men, women, and children alike as he soars over the alleyways to help hiccup get revenge for everyone who made fun of him.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  19. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    This feels cynically dismissive of animation as an art form with a side of cynically copying disney printing money by lazily remaking their own films.

Particularly egregious because these films aren’t even that old.

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  21. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Live action Shrek when?

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd pay good money to see Robert Eggers' The Berkman.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    3d animation and live action are just going to morph into the same thing anyway

all art is dead

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I approve of the thread title name change. Was that you @heels1785

heels1785 likes this.
  25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I thought that happened and it was just James Cameron saving cinema.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Sarge likes this.