main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [How To Train Your Dragon] Hiccup's Birthday Gift (Romance -- one shot vignette) Posted 1-12-11

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mrjop2, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    This story was originally meant to be a response for the 50 Sentences challenge, but it turned out to be something totally different. I hope you enjoy.

Title: Hiccup?s Birthday Gift
    Author: mrjop2
    Fandom: How to Train Your Dragon
    Characters: Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless

There was a time that no one would, in any circumstances, venture to believe that a young, unassuming boy like Hiccup would ever find his place in the tribe. The gravity of his clumsiness had once made him an outcast from the other Vikings, and even from his own father. Countless number of times he would try to kill a dragon to win his father?s approval, but his endeavors would always result in doing more harm, to the village, than good. He was treated like crises, and not like a true Viking, which was all he really wanted to be. His father had no idea of his worth until Hiccup had found his dragon, Toothless; where their bond would forever change the way the village saw dragons.

At first, Hiccup used his correlation with his dragon to cheat during dragon training. He actually did it to win the heart of the girl whom he liked, Astrid; but instead, she had become extremely jealous of his new found popularity. Of course, things had changed over time. After defeating the dragon queen, who controlled all the dragons, they had become more than just friends; they had become an item.

One evening, Hiccup took Astrid on a long trek, after riding Toothless to a remote part of the island. As usual, her patience was running low after awhile; she was not one for surprises. ?This better not be one of your crazy stunts, Hiccup,? Astrid threatened. ?You?re still wearing the bandage from you last mishap.?

Astrid had always had an aggressive quirk; in a way, that was what attracted him to her. She released her threatening clasp on the nape of his shirt, after nearly chocking him with her grip on his shirt. He rubbed his throat and looked down at his bandaged arm. He had hurt his arm after attempting to learn something new while flying on Toothless. A part of his harness had failed, so he had fallen off into the ocean as they were flying around the Island.

?Don?t worry, we?re half way there,? Hiccup assured her. He had become more accustomed to her aggressive attitude; he could now tell the difference between when she was flirting and when she actually meant to cause bodily harm.

Astrid calmed herself down, and found her thoughts drifting back to when they took their first flight together on Toothless; she could remember looking up at the celestial stars as night fell. She had found a new found respect for the beauty of her surroundings. It was a welcomed distraction from her obsessions to become the top in her class at dragon training. That was when she experienced her collision of interests. That was when she first saw how beautiful the dragons actually were.

Strangely enough, when she opened her eyes to the truth about dragons, a great burden was lifted off of her shoulders; a burden of having to be the best Viking in Berk. Deep down, she realized that she did not truly respect herself. Her desire to be the popular Viking around the village was all for show, and to hide the truth from herself. After she had re-earned her self-respect, that was when she realized that she actually liked Hiccup, despite his clumsiness, and that was when she bartered with herself; she traded her compulsiveness with love. Yes, she may seem to embody the quintessence of violence, but there was still a part of her that wanted to find true love; except, she just never expected to find it with someone as scrawny as Hiccup.

She shook off her moment of nostalgia, as she continued her trek, following closely behind Hiccup. Despite his best attempts to hide it, Astrid could see that Hiccup?s leg was ailing him. He was the hero of Berk who defeated the dragon queen with the help of his dragon, but as a commission for his heroics, he had lost a part of his left leg. Just below his knee, was a elaborate walking device built by Gobber. Hiccup made

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What a sweet fun read and what a gorgeous lovely surprise and the ride! Hiccup -- I think that is such a *cute* name! ;) Astrid's attitude of "I'm not gonna let it show too much how much I really like you" is too fun -- and very like some of the famous ladies of SW. [face_laugh]

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, this is really cute!! I LOVE HTTYD (I just watched it a couple weeks ago) and I think you capture Hiccup and Astrid's relationship perfectly :D

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Your HTTYD fic!!

[face_dancing]

[face_dancing]

[:D]

This was simply adorable! Fun and smart and just too plain cute for words.

If you had further plot bunnies bite in this fandom, then I certainly wouldn't object. ;)

[:D]

~Mj @};-

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007

I actually do. I am doing research and storyboarding a whole epic story that will be called: Trial By Fire, which takes place a month or two after the movie. When I get to it and start posting depends. If I find a co-writter to help me write this thing, It will come sooner, rather than later. If Not, I will work hard for the first chapter to be posted by the end of March. It will be a story that I do 1 chapter a week. My other epics I am doing, I have been averaging two a week, but I will cut back to one to get this started.

6. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Thank you all for reading this one shot. Maybe one day I will have time to do another one-shot, but for now I am busy with writing two epic trilogies (both nearing the end of their first stories), and a new How to Train Your Dragon Epic called Trial by Fire, which has now gone live.

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Reread this today. Still wished I had the time to do another viggy like this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.