main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "How to Watch Revenge of the Sith" - A Guide

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

NoCloneTheories posted this over at 3SA and it makes a lot of sense:

Yes, there's no real compelling reason for this thread, really. But I saw ROTS in a weird environment, not a bad one, but there were a lot of hobknobbers and elites and whatever, and I found myself sort of transporting myself in my mind in order to really get in the mood for the movie. I actually missed sticky theater floors.

This got me thinking about different things that can potentially hurt the ROTS experience, which I want to try to cut off at the pass for everyone so we all get the maximum experience out of it now that it is out tonight.

So add anything you want to this, tell me if something is dumb, but keep the topic itself as focused as we can on either tips, tricks, or merely just thoughts to keep in mind for the ROTS experience.

1. Go early (I know, that sucks)

As geeky and weird as this is, cruise by the theater two hours early. If there's a big line, drive up and ask which show they are waiting for. If it is not the one you're wanting to go to, go get some dinner and waste another hour and come back. If it IS the one you're seeing, suck it up and get out and wait. The reason this is important is because...

2. ...you HAVE to sit in the middle area of the theater.

I hate to say that since by the nature of film seating some of you will invariably end up on the sides, but the fact is this movie is so jam packed with stuff that you will absolutely go mental trying to watch to skewed. It doesn't really matter how close or far you are, centering yourself is the biggest goal.

3. Resist the Piss

Reist the temptation to give in to humanity's rat-like training that tells us we need a giant soda and popcorn to see a movie. You will be so angry if you have to get up during this film. A lot of times people don't think about it ahead of time, but you gotta. However, if you absolutely cannot resist...

4. You Can Miss Coruscant

You SHOULDN'T miss it, but if you have to miss something, the scenes on Coruscant can be missed. While there are alot of things that happen there, as a general rule, the kind of stuff that TFN folks can miss are the Padme/Anakin scenes, etc. Although Coruscant at night? Stick around...

5. Clear your mind

It's really easy for people to take these films seriously, because at the end of the day, they should be. But not the first time. You only have one chance to see it with fresh eyes, and when you do, don't be like the cynical, sad bastards over at CHUD who convinced themselves that the film was bad sheerly because of bad attitude. Go into this movie without feeling like you have to prove everything you learned in that film class in college.

6. BE A KID

The thread about the Usenet in 1983 is funny because it reveals that there were always college kids or older who were bitching about how the movies were not as good as they used to be. Just get in a mindset of when you were a kid, think of that old Encyclopedia Brown book you used to thumb through, or how you would watch Three's Company while you drew pictures, whatever the hell you want as long as you can taste and smell and touch one of those days from your childhood. It will feel like you time travelled to today to see a film which, back then, wasn't even possible.

And finally...

7. Watch *only* TPM or ROTJ when you get home

This assumes that you are not doing a whole-saga thing (if you are, kudos.) Yes, ESB is the best movie. Yes, ANH is the one that has the most nostalgia because it kicked things off, and to see where the event sof ROTS ended up.

But...watch TPM or ROTJ. Those are the weakest films in the saga in terms of being lighter fare, in terms of being derided most by fans, etc. ROTS is one of the most depraved tings I have ever seen, and afterwards, it makes a HELL of a lot mroe sense as to why Lucas felt comfortable going the kid route. He needed to balance this saga. TPM is, like it or not, the beginning of the star wars saga.

To watch that, and see Palpatine's machinations (which seemed so new aft

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    THAT was AMAZING! I love it when someone actually posts something so well-thought-out. Thanks for sharing that, Roo.

I was just thinking about how I, right now at this moment, feel like I did in May of 1983 when I was a wide-eyed 12 year old whose mom let him skip school to see ROTJ. Today, the kid inside me refuses to let anything adult take precedence. I'm feeling happy and nostalgic, which is precisely the attitude I want to retain for this movie tonight. Granted, I'll probably be crying when I leave the theater, but, with the Saga completed, I'll now have the full experience to linger on for many years to come.

3. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    That is an awesome article!

I am so excited about tonight, I can't stand it!

I did find out one spoiler though:

Did you all know that Anakin BECOMES Darth Vader?! Holy cow! I never would have guessed that. But, I'll save for you to figure out who ends up becoming the Emperor---but here's a hint:

Look at your hand and ask your "palm-the-time."

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I hate to say I walked out of the first showing thinking, "Eh, that was okay I guess." The last two SW flicks I had the same feeling, although I was a bit more disappointed from EP1 because the tone of the trailers and the tone of the movie were sooooo different from each other.

I walked out of the second showing wondering if I could stay awake long enough to make it home to bed.

Did I enjoy the movie? Yes.

Did I have a good time? Yes!

Am I paying for staying up for the 12:02am showing? Yes!!!

Did I think it was better than TESB or ANH? Nope, sorry.

I have a bad habit of letting my mood affect how I feel about a movie the first time I see it. I absolutely hated 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' the first time I saw it. It was a crowded free sneak preview and I just wasn't in the right mindset for it. The second time I went to see it in a much less crowded theater I dug the heck out of it. Same for 'Pulp Fiction'- I missed the first 5-10 mintes and was so lost- especially since I hadn't seen 'Reservoir Dogs' and wasn't use to QT's directing/editing style. Loved it the second time I saw it, and RD when I saw it later. (Sin CIty is kinda shot like that, too.) There have been several movies I've caught at home on DVD that I've felt the same about. Seeing a comedy when you just aren't feeling fun can suck, or pull you out of a funk. You just never know until after the flick is over.

I'm sure that will be the case for ROTS. If I can watch it when I've actually had some sleep and food, as well as ditched the costume for some shorts, tee, and a ball cap I'll have a great time and can watch for all the little fan-bits we all love spotting. And oh man I can't wait to see it at one of the Drive-In Nights! When Anakin said 'What?!' to Mace I had to hold back wanting to say, "Say what again, M-F!" Ah, Jules, where are ya when we need ya!

I've got to make sure to catch 'Batman Begins' next month the first time at a matinee right after work, after I've grabbed some dinner, and made sure I went to bed early the night before!

5. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Let's get together again some saturday for a matinee without costumes!! I think I'll appreciate it more, too.

I still liked it better than EPs 1 & 2.

I'm sleepy.

6. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    maybe something is wrong with me, but rotj and tpm are probably my favorite two movies... i suppose somehow i'm able to tune jar jar out of tpm and i like ewoks.

that's definitely some good advice, though, rhonda!

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I don't know, if Tim grilled it I'd probably like ewok or gungan, too... :)

8. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Tim IS a grill master! YUM!

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Nonononononono!

You can't grill ewok.
    That's just sick!

Ewok is strictly a slow-cooking meat. Much more of a crock pot thing. Back me up on this, Tim.

-Joe

10. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Three words.
    Bar-B-Q.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    No, no, no...

You're thinking of Tribbles, Joe. Tribbles are a crock-pot sort of thing. But you weren't completely wrong-

Ewoks are best slow-smoked over Hickory.

Well, I'm sitting here trying to figure out if ROTS is beating out ESB as my favorite SW movie. Honestly, if I take out the nostalgia factor from the the equation, then it is. Right now, they're tied for #1.

Honestly, I'll ask myself in a year. Only time will tell.

12. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    we need to have a completely star wars themed cookout sometime this summer... i don't know where or when, or if i'm the only one who would be interested, but right now it sure sounds like a scrumptious idea to me.

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Eating is ALWAYS a good idea!

Throw another jawa on the bar-b!

14. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Bantha Ribs are awesome. But don't get the full rack, it's huge. As a matter of fact, don't get the half-rack, it's still very big. Aw heck, just get one rib...that's more than enough...

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I hate it when the carhop at Sonic brings out my rack of bantha ribs and tries to put it on the window tray of my car. Tips the car right over.

Wait. That wasn't me. That was Fred Flintstone. Sorry.

16. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Tim Brown. Meet the Tim Brown.
    He's the friendly costuming Pres'dent.
    Tim Brown. Meet the Tim Brown.
    He's so broke he cannot pay the rent.
    (da da daa da daaaa)
    To the local cantina he rides
    Where the Scum and Vill'ny does thrive
    When you're with the Tim Brown
    You'll have fun like playing Polo
    He runs like Han Solo
    You'll have a Tim Brownnn Dayyyyyyy

(Sorry, the best I could do in such a short time)

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Now I'm going to be singing that all day.

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And have it running thru your head like Han Solo!

Ah, can't wait for this weekend and the traditional running of the Han- and Mace!

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And we'll be holding a "Run Like Han Solo" contest when we show ROTJ.

I'm disqualified, of course. I'll judge.

20. ROTS_SUX

ROTS_SUX Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Maybe it should be a 'run like your favorite Star Wars character'..? Running like Han, Threepio, Mace, Chewie, drunk Ben, etc. could be quite the entertainment!

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Depends on how much you've had to drink.

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Oh, bartender...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.