main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to write evil (Getting inside the mind of your villain. Also home of the villain's database.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Spike2002, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
  2. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I have a story in writing at the moment. I'd like to have somebody beta it, if anyone has spare time. It has some kinks to be worked out. The main character is an Imperial.

3. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    JasonYellowAces: Good luck finding a beta reader. Those are really hard to come by. I should know...

4. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    JYA: I got some spare time (in about a week!) But I dunno if I'd be such a good beta :(

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    That reminds me, we still don't have any volunteers for Imperial villain advice.

6. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I know lots about Imperials, but I'm not one to be giving writing advice.

I'll send you my fic sometime next week Calandria. I should have the prologue finished by then.

7. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Okay, but I'm gone from Monday to thursday late afternoon. Don't expect anything till Friday.

Oh send it to my e-mail, seracalia@yahoo.com, if possible. It's easier for me and I might be able to get it to read before Thursday.

I'll do my best, that's all I can say...

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Janson, I'll be happy to read it.

9. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I can beta as well, if you want multiple opinions.

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Call yourself a writer? :p

Multiple and opinions. ;)

11. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Yeah, well I just came back from an incredibly hectic week with in Majorca, so sue me. :p Anyway, I write in Word, so I use spellcheck. :)

12. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Name: James Harris
    Weapon(s) of choice: Hold-out pulser concealed in suit. Bargaining skills
    Vehicle(s) of choice: Courier boat PNS Haven's Pride
    Species: Human, of Havenite descent
    Homeworld: Haven
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Light brown
    Rank/position: Hereditary President of the Peoples Republic of Haven
    Most common quote: "We aren't going to get anywhere by pointing fingers and calling names."
    Bio: President Harris has been keeping the PRH together for almost two decades, since his father was accidentally killed by State Security Force personnel attempting to apprephend a Manticoran infiltrator. Since then, he and Adm. Amos Parnell have been working towards onquering the Manticore system, along with Grayson and Basilisk. However, Manticore and Grayson forming an alliance with the New Republic has given them a military that can match up to any, short of the Solarian League's. Harris doesn't like the idea of open war with the Manticoran Alliance, but he knows that the PRH will collapse unless it gains a major boost to its economy.
    Story(ies) he appears in: In Enemy Hands (work in progress) and War of Honor.

13. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Hey Spike, am I still employed here? Just curious.

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    As long as you want to be.

15. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Yeah, I still want to be.

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Then your still on board :D

17. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I have a question for you villains writers here. I?m currently working on an original, non-Star Wars story (it is science fiction, though), but I thought this thread would be helpful. Looking at the way my story is planned right now, the main villain doesn?t make an appearance until near the end. He is talked about though, in conversations between the main characters, and in flashbacks. Basically, everything the characters do is because of my main villain (they?re running from him). Do you think this would work, not having the villain ?on screen? until the ?final confrontation?, so to speak?

I was also wondering if I should include a chapter in the point of view of the villain ? currently, chapters go back and forth between my main ?good? characters. I figured that would be a good way to really give insight into his character, and let the reader know exactly why he should be feared. My only hesitation to do a chapter like this early on (and it should be early, I?m thinking, so the reader would have an idea of who the villain is) is because there?s a mystery that isn?t revealed until about halfway to two-thirds through the story. My villain knows what the characters (and the reader) are trying to guess, if that makes any sense. I don?t want to give it away too early; I feel that the mystery of the history between the main character and the villain is one factor that drives the first part of the story.

Another option I was considering is instead of getting inside the villain?s head would be to include a chapter from the point of view of someone other than the main characters who ends up on the wrong side of the villain. This would have a personal, ?on screen? account of the villain, rather than just flashbacks and hints from my main characters.

I guess the balance I?m hoping to get is to have the reader torn between desiring the final confrontation (so that the heroes can defeat the villain), and dreading it (because my villain is one bad dude). I?m just not sure how to plot it to make that happen.

Hopefully I?ve made enough sense that someone can give me some advice. :D

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Happy_Hobbit: Having the characters do the bidding for their master is very much like the Classic Trilogy of Star Wars, with Vader etc doing their things for the Emperor.

The Villain point of view idea, well...we are here to encourage the writing of a villains perspective ;) so I recommend that too.

As for someone affected by the villains actions, I always like to add in my stories little small mini-scenes with characters that will die very shortly. And I've had no complaints so far ;)

19. Womprat_Queen

Womprat_Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Hello

I've being trying to get inside the head of everybody's favourite former executor, Nom Anor. He's my favourite Yuuzhan Vong, due mainly to his disregard for the gods.
    My take on him as being very bitter, and seeking revenge on those whom chucked him out of power.
    What category of villian
    would he be put in?
    Could the Vong experts give me any advise/tips/things to avoid like the plague about writing him?

And by the way:
    And does anyone know how to pronounce that 'ii' in Vong names, such as Niiriit and Riina?

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    "ii" would be pronounced "e". As for Nom Anor, I'll get back to you on that shortly.

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    OK, we decided that Nom Anor does not fit the villain bill at all. At the moment he's more of an anti-hero.

22. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    I would say that an anti-hero is still a villain, but is just portrayed as a hero in that particular context, like someone doing all the right things for all the wrong reasons. I can't think of many examples, but Malus Darkblade from the Warhammer Fantasy comics fits the bill, as does Major Rawne in the early Gaunts Ghosts novels.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Do I have anti-hero on that list of villain types?

24. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I'd put Inquisitor Barzano from Nightbringer as kind of an anti-hero. Remember, he does recommend blasting Pavonis into tiny, tiny pieces. ;)

25. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Spike: No, it's not there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.