main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How was the Clone Army supplied in secret?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by FS26, Sep 22, 2018.

1. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I've been thinking about the size of the First Order's military which got me thinking about how it was possible for Kamino to aquire the the armaments and ships for the Clones in secret. Kuat Drive Yards and Rothana must have been building and shipping weapons and vehicles for a decade. I can understand that the growing of the clones could be done secretly, but the suppliers of the army were Republic companies. How did these activities remain secret?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The ships were already in place to begin with as the Republic had a sizable navy, which could handle minor skirmishes in space. It was a full scale ground army that was seriously lacking. The gear from that was just properly ordered and privately funded to keep it on the QT.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why would the suppliers be Republic companies? Kamino was beyond the Outer Rim. Logistically, it wouldn't even make sense to go for Republic companies. That said, there are many ways to keep things secret.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those Acclamators were built for the Grand Army, not for the Republic Navy:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Acclamator-class_transgalactic_military_assault_ship

They were first deployed at the Battle of Geonosis after transporting the clone army from Kamino, and subsequently carried the Grand Army of the Republic from Coruscant to the various arenas of the Clone Wars, a conflict in which they would see extensive use.[1]

Given that most of the Grand Army's kit was built by Rothana, including those ships - it makes sense that they were built specifically to transport the Army - it wasn't a case of pre-existing fleet.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    DarthTalonx likes this.
  5. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    The thing is that all the equipment we see the Clones use is from Kuat Drive Yards, which is a Republic company. I was wondering how KDY produced and shipped material at this scale without it being noticed

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Can't help you with that. I agree that it doesn't make much sense, but then again, this type of not thought through idiossincracies were a staple of the old EU. It seems those making the new EU learned nothing from it.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Big weapons dealers are going to be better at supplying cheap stuff. Republic weapons dealers are going to supply stuff that is compatible with other Republic technology.

Result - a cheaply equipped army that can get its ships fixed at any Republic shipyard, and that has guns that can get their ammo from most blaster companies.

If Palpatine/Dooku had gone to a company outside the Republic, there would have been a risk of incompatibilities, and it probably would have cost him more.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If you pay someone enough money to keep something secret, they'll do whatever it takes to keep it secret.
    I bet KDY and RHE manufactured the vehicles and weapons at top secret locations, with as few sentient beings as possible involved.

Iron_lord likes this.