main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO How Well Does KOTOR Hold Up

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ambervikings91, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Is KOTOR still fun?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, it is still incredible!

80.6%
  2. No, it is too old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's not what is was but still worth a play

19.4%
  1. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    I've let one of my daughters make a character (Elsa, who would have guessed?) on my original PC KOTOR and she's been playing a little bit a week with me. I had to attend to the BBQ on Sunday and left her alone to explore a bit and came back to find she had defeated Gerlon Two Fingers on her own in the fighting arena. What a proud SW Dad I am today.

2. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    They're both still amazing. I just replayed through them on the XboxOne. My two favorite games of all-time!

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does Canderous not give me mah stims? He's all "hah! stims make a warrior of the weakest human!" giving me my freebie and then he's all like "You don't want to overloard your adrenal system! A real warrior knows his limits!" I need my fix, dammit!

Yah I know the solution is to simply use more and then he'll give you more but why is he making me beg? :(

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Huh? If you have some already, why do you need more? I imagine that Canderous hates inventory horders and he refuses to help carry all your unused/useless junk. Zalbaar is also fed up with having to carry around 50+ medkits in a huge sack over his shoulder.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. The Wrens of Night

Apr 14, 2017
    Playing it again as a Jedi Guardian named Darth Revan. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you've never tried this, I highly recommend it. The unintentional humor is hilarious for so many characters. Also picking the absolute worst things to say on every occasion. It never ceases to amaze me how many different combinations of characters result in different banter and observations. Like when you stoke the Sandrals and Matales into a bloodbath and Canderous quips "Finally, someone said what we're all thinking!"

LloydChristmas and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's those crates in the back of the Ebon Hawk where you can just stash your extra stims, grenades, medpacks, and security spikes. Just toss them in, and then your party members will see that you're below the limit and be like "sure! I'll make you some more!".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oooh who on the Ebon Hawk makes medpaks for you? I drop so much $ on medpacks it's silly.

8. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yep. Generally speaking aside from computer spikes (when given the option, I will always indulge in some sabotage hacking), I don't need extra goodies for my own use. However, if you're willing to take the time to create a stash of supplies, they can be sold for extra creds. The problem with those crates is that there's no option to just take a few items out of the box, so I generally end up having to use one crate as the ready-use magazine and another for the stockpile.

9. The Wrens of Night

Apr 14, 2017
    Reporting live from the ancient grove on Dantooine where my 6-year-old Jedi Guardian decided Juhani wasn't worth a second chance at redemption and eradicated the dark side from the plains.

Her immediate reaction to this course of action: "Does this mean I can fight with two lightsabers now?"

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just got to Manaan, and I forgot just how annoying those Selkath voices are.

11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Great soundtrack for the planet though.

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    And there is this...

PimpBacca likes this.
  13. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    But KOTOR does not have good combat, it is not fun in my opinion. And although it does not try to be combat-centric, in fact fighting is one of the things that you do the most. Its strong point is the story / characters. On the other hand, Jedi Academy seems less popular than KOTOR maybe for its story and being eclipsed by Jedi Outcast, although for me it has one of the best melee combat systems with super powers so far. What could be very good is to combine the combat of Jedi Academy with narrative of KOTOR.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    We went over this in the Jedi Fallen Order thread. KotOR is a traditional rpg with turn based combat. The combat IS good at hiding away all the technical stuff and dice throws and making the combat look like fluid action. But it is not an action game, if you want to play an action game then of course the combat in Kotor will not be for you. KotOR is most enjoyable when you learn to understand how each fight was won or lost by reading the events list. If you care to understand what is going on behind all the action on screen in KotOR, you would also realise how simplistic the combat is in a hack and slash action game like Jedi acadamy.

15. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I think kotor is one of the best games put out not just star wars but period. Because of the graphics were ahead of their time as well as the tactics and the mind blowing plot twists and the possibilty of changing your destiny at the end of the game.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  16. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018
  17. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    It's the same game it was on release. It's not like the RPG genre has really improved or advanced in any way but graphics since '03, so if it was worth playing then it's worth playing now.

I give it credit for making "Star Wars (computer)RPG" an actual thing that exists. I'm very glad that happened. If one hasn't played many other actual RPGs before (shooters with conversation minigames don't count) I could see it being pretty mindblowing.

It's a very good introduction to the genre, with a fun+familiar setting and gameplay that you dont need an especially deep understanding of to beat the game. For someone more into the genre the combat is pretty disappointgly easy and a step backwards in depth and quality from some of Bioware's earlier work like BG2. KOTOR has some really nice quests and options for use of skills outside of combat though, which is easily as important as combat mechanics. Choices were mostly the usual Bioware options of Saint, Guy who does what Saint does but asks for payment, and *Kick random passing puppy*, which is better than games that don't offer anything but nowhere near the best of the genre. Dialogue was—with some exceptions—not especially memorable, but was significantly better than the kind of terrible you find in something like Oblivion. Characters are good, though better if you haven't played too many Bioware games before (Bioware recycles character personalities constantly); otherwise some of them might give you hardcore deja vu. Plot was solid, maybe a bit generic but felt very StarWarsy and adventurous. I'm not entirely a fan of the twist from an RPG perspective as it kind of weakens the importance of the choices you've defined the character by, but from a plot perspective I like it a lot.

Overall a good albeit overrated RPG that's definitely worth playing if you like the setting, since it's unlikely a better Star Wars computer RPG is coming any time soon. Certainly better than a lot of games in the genre, even if I wouldn't put it at the very top. KOTOR 2 improved on a number of aspects but was unpolished and had noticeably unfinished parts on release.

Fanon that grew out of it, like Revan being the coolest strongest bestest greyest Jedi ever, is awful.

BigAl6ft6 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hah totally legit. Stims make a warrior out of even the weakest human!

19. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    True enough^^^^

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004