main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How will The Resistance fill out its ranks now that it is so depleted?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think a type of "General Syndulla" cameo ala RO could happen.

2. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    Clones.

3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    There is nothing left of the NR, although unaffiliated sympathizers may exist.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Were we ever shown that though?

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    No, according to canon, planetary defence forces of the New Republic still exist.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, that's the impression I got too. It'd be like if during WWII Hitler got the bomb first and nuked NYC & London. A hell of a crippling blow, but it's not necessarily over, there are still going to be allied forces scattered around. With the right leadership that can all coalesce together under the one banner & have a shot at a comeback.

Or hell, even Pearl Harbor the way it actually played out. A huge chunk of the fleet is wasted, but we've still got ships out there in the world.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Darkslayer likes this.
  7. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    What if this battle isn't enormous or all that encompassing? Suppose the final act comes down more to what is going on with Rey and Kylo and less with the ensuing battle? Does a decisive military victory have to take place or say the elimination of both Hux and Kylo would that be enough to get the job done story wise?

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It is a challenge to do something new regarding a final battle. We'll see I guess.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I know this is going to blow everybody's mind but I'm guessing the Resistance will try to forge some unlikely alliances who will initially rebuff them in first part of the movie or will join them and then bail in Act II when the Resistance suffer a setback. Then just as things are looking their bleakest all the people that abandoned them will come back and help the Resistance win a surprise victory.

dlbates likes this.
  10. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    What is your source on this? The text crawl for TLJ says the NR was decimated, and nothing in the film shows otherwise.

leopardhk47 likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    "Decimated" can mean a great number of things.

12. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Wow, thanks. Except the person I quoted said "according to canon" which is why I asked for a source.

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ah, the quote notification notified me too so I thought you were responding to me directly.

14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

The novelisation.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They're going to buy one mogwai and then spill water on it which will create a bunch more mogwai!

16. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    I searched the novelization and you are correct. We'll see if this is reflected in 9 then.

Darkslayer and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  17. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, "decimated" doesn't mean there aren't any New Republic capital ships and fleet groups out there.

Just that the lion's share of them around the capital world were sucker-punched. Home base is toast, but anyone who wasn't on duty at home is still going to be out there. Kinda felt TLJ should have capitalized on that though, like the NR had reconsidered and hooked up with Leia, and the bombers are theirs or whatever.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    How does it fill out the ranks? Like the rebellion did before it: quietly by word of mouth among the downtrodden and disenfranchised.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That would be such a rehash of the OT though. It's bad storytelling to repeat the same major beats like that.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    How is that bad storytelling? It's how most revolutions start whether it is the American revolution, the French, South Africa, etc.

The downtrodden are sick of the the ruling powers and they band together. It's not bad storytelling. It's history repeating itself in predictable fashion? I'm not sure why you're looking for another reason to bash the "storytelling." What exactly do you want the Resistance to spring from? The upper class bourgeois deciding they don't like the going rate for selling arms?

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Trade Federation sends some battle droids.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Redemption of Nute Gunray

CaptainEO, dlbates and EHT like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Telling the same story twice is bad storytelling. If I want to see the rebels vs empire story, I'll watch the OT. Why even bother seeing the movie if it's just going to be a retread of previous content?

23. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    That'd all be true if it were the same story, sure.

24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    A scriptwriter will write a line or two explaining it happened.

25. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Isn’t a certain Mr. Calrissian bringing in some boys to bulk up the Resistance?...