main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you put Dooku in?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BillBrasky, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    AOTC would make alot more sense if Dooku was in TPM.

Here's how i would put him in

On scene would involve him sparring with Mace, before Qui Gon came to talk to him, introduce him to Anakin, and hace Qui Gon tell Anakin that Dooku is the best sowrdsman in the Jedi order. This would establish the line of apreentices, mace, and dooku's swordsmanship, and make Dooku's fight with Anakin in AOTC more meaningful. The scene would end with mace and sparring again with about a mintue of them dueling.

The next would be with Dooku telling Yoda that's hes unhappy wiht the way the Jedi are headed, and talking about Qui Gon. I think it would be make the Duel between them in AOTC sort of mirror The Duel in ROTS.

These scens could easily be done, and i think they should.

Strilo edit: This thread is redundant.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I wouldn't put him in at all. There's enough characters in TPM to keep track of as is. His introduction in AOTC was fine. The only time where an earlier reference may have helped him better was in AOTC itself, before we saw Ambidala making the assumption that he was behind the assassination attempt, or if Lucas had left the "lost twenty" sequence in.

On scene would involve him sparring with Mace, before Qui Gon came to talk to him, introduce him to Anakin, and hace Qui Gon tell Anakin that Dooku is the best sowrdsman in the Jedi order.

So in a movie chock-full of exposition, you want to drag out another scene and give a full, expository sequence on someone who won't even be formally introduced until the next movie? Having a lightsaber sequence would draw attention away from the real focus - the plight of the Jedi and Anakin's training.

This would establish the line of apreentices

AOTC did that without TPM's help.

mace

I'll give you that Mace Windu could have used better development, but that isn't really the way I'd go about it.

and dooku's swordsmanship

Taking out two Jedi within a few minutes did that well enough.

and make Dooku's fight with Anakin in AOTC more meaningful.

How so? If it's going to make anyone's more meaningful, it's going to be Obi Wan's.

The next would be with Dooku telling Yoda that's hes unhappy wiht the way the Jedi are headed, and talking about Qui Gon. I think it would be make the Duel between them in AOTC sort of mirror The Duel in ROTS.

Which is already mirroring ESB. No, sorry, I can't help but think this sequence would be too distracting. The focus of this scene (this is in the Jedi temple, right?) relates to Anakin and Qui Gon, not anyone else. Drawing attention from them would pull away from the main plot. Even the Jedi Council was playing second/third party to these characters - why the heck should a random Jedi who won't have any impact on the main characters get such an important scene? We don't even get background on Yoda, for goodness sakes, and he's the one making the big decisions.

Outside of this, we don't know the exact date when Dooku left the order. Just that it's been around ten years. For all we know, he could already be gone.

3. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    Cmon Don't you think the Duel with Dooku in AOTC would have been better if you knew that Dooku was an awesome swordsman before he fought. the first time i watched AOTC I wonderd why how dooku beat both of them so easy.

If the viewer knew that Dooku was good it would be like seeing how much Obi has progressed. Going in I would think that the duel was going to be awesome. then when Obi is beaten so easily it would make Dooku look that muhc stonger.

4. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    "why the heck should a random Jedi who won't have any impact on the main characters get such an important scene? "

If we go by this thinking why did peter jackson even bother having Gollum in Fellowship of the ring...he's taking away from the main character...and everything you wanted to know about him was talked about in Two Towers. Just because they aren't the main character doesn't mean you shouldn't build them up and get them ready for the sequal.

I know myself and many others would love to have seen dooku in episode 1 as a good Jedi, therefor it would be a bigger impact in AOTC when we see he's bad.

5. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    The duel itself was enough to show how powerful Dooku was as a Jedi (and as a Sith). Going in to the duel, having no idea who this Dooku was, it was surprising to see how easily he handled Ben and Anakin, and gave Yoda a run for his money. Especially when you consider that Ben went toe-to-toe with Maul about ten years prior.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.