main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census How would you rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jul 14, 2011.

?

How would you rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2011.
  1. 10 -- Outstanding

35.7%
  2. 9

10.7%
  3. 8

35.7%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

3.6%
  7. 4

7.1%
  8. 3

3.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 -- Troll

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The last Harry Potter movie is out/due out (depending on your time zone). What do you think?

2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    10! It had most of the important parts from the book in it and I think it was absolutely fabulous, easily the best Potter movie!

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree!! It was sooooo good!

4. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    it was so amazing I have seen it three times. At three different theaters no less!

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    8. Decent film, but unable to stand by itself without support from Part I. Maybe a little too overboard in some places and the inconsistencies of the film series as a whole definitely tripped up the feet of this one, but there were many moments that I really enjoyed and seeing the destruction of Hogwarts was heartbreaking.

The Gringotts sequence, the Resurrection Stone scene and any scene having to do with Neville being badass were my favourites. :p Could have done without the Harry and Voldemort chase near the end there, especially with the falling off the castle bit.

I only have two major wishes -- (1) that Harry and Voldemort's final duel had had witnesses, and (2) that Harry had used the Elder Wand to repair his holly and phoenix feather wand before he snapped it in half. The snapping of the Elder Wand was quite symbolic visually, but... seriously, Harry, fix your other wand first, dude! :oops: :p

The music was brilliant, though. Alexandre Desplat is really the only HP composer who made good use of the themes that were created before his stint. I loved how he brought back the "Leaving Hogwarts" from Philosopher's Stone at the end during the epilogue - made for some great audio/visual imagery. There were echoes of Nicholas Hooper's "In Noctem" cue from Halfblood Prince. Hedwig's Theme made some excellent appearances and I liked how the cues from Deathly Hallows Part I were used as well, along with completely new themes. Excellent Harry Potter score, second only to John Williams' work on Prisoner of Azkaban, IMHO.

For the record, I still think POA is the best HP film. :p I would rank it at an 8.5, so just a smidgen better than this film - I don't think any of the HP films are consistent enough in their film-making to be ranked at a 10. :)

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I gave it an 8. It was much better than Part 1, but some of the changes hurt the story. Fred should have died on-screen. By happening off-camera, his death was cheapened. In addition, the fact that the mirror wasn't explained well, or that no one said how Snape knew where Harry was annoyed me. I also didn't care for Bellatrix and Voledmort exploding/disintegrating. That was just odd. A dead body for each would have felt more final.

Helena Botham Carter was hysterical. [face_laugh]

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    She was great playing Hermione :D

8. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    It was outstanding. I saw it on back to back days.

9. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Loved it, she is my favorite character. That scene was great.

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

I'm not a Harry Potter fan (I haven't read the books and I've only seen the previous two movies), but this film was great from start to finish.

The only thing is that Voldemort seemed like less of a threat in this one.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    8. Good stuff.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It was a solidly put together adaptation. I've never been a fan of the books. In fact I thought a couple of them were pretty dire, with Deathly Hallows being the weakest.

As in the books the Rohld Dahl style fantasy and charm is gone in favour of a darker, more brooding tone. However I think it actually works in the film, especially when it veers off down a route that resembles a well made war movie. There were some really good performances too. Warwick Davis gets to act at the start, instead of lumber around in a large prosthetic, and he proves to be quite a spectacular performer. And it's nice to see Alan Rickman get the opportunity to do something other than sneer at the audience.

8/10

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I gave it a 8. I really enjoyed it. I do think it finished off the series quite well.

14. padawanmaster2007

padawanmaster2007 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2007
    I gave it a 10. I was a very well put together movie the only gripes I had were with Fred's death scene and the end where Harry decides to just snap the wand in half.

15. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    5. I thought some of the little changes negatively impacted on the flow of the story. If Neville had killed Nagini after doing his epic win speech and drawing the sword, for example, it would have been even more epic. Instead we get a silly chase that didn't need to be there. Also, too much slow-mo. If less of the film was at 20% speed they might have fit more important bits in, like Fred's death, Percy's redemption and a much better Snape-revelation scene (which skipped over far too much).

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd say 5. I can't make it past 1/4 of TPS per the books but I thought the Snape-reveal was the best bit in the whole thing. Nice to see some *feeling* from Alan. =D= Though, I did feel the Snape-reveal was missing something, like parts were missing/absent. Also, did the book really go from the destroyed school to 19 years later when everything was fine? It seemed rather cheap and false to me. Definitely prefer the Professors [face_love] to the Golden Trio.[face_frustrated] Would've loved more Snape and Lupin bits. [face_not_talking]

I have a hunch that even if I did eventually attempt reading DH, I'd still prefer fanfic. Though I haven't read much HP fic either. [face_thinking]

I also thought the pacing was incredibly *slow* which killed the 'danger' factor for me. I think it's also quite a let down that I didn't get to see either of my favorite characters die *on-screen*. I cared about Remus and Severus and wanted to mourn them yet I couldn't because I didn't *see* their lives imperiled or their struggle. It was completely skipped with David and only partially shown/implied with Alan. Ralph's was simply laughable. Which is quite sad because he knows how to do *scary* and Volty just wasn't. :(

17. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    8. I enjoyed it and teared up in places (Lily/Severus)...because I'm like that. :p

Nice to see Rickman portray Snape other than sneering all the time. I loved the Prince's Tale part. With Dumbledore's Farewell playing, the scene was very nice. Snape is my favorite HP character, so I was hoping this would be in the movie (even though other important parts were left out due to timing). I do agree that Remus and Snape's death (and Fred's...seriously. He should have been shown too). But that would have made the movie too long....

I thought the weird part with Harry/Voldy flying around the building near the end was...crazy. Did they merge there in one part? LOL! No clue, just....odd....guess dueling between them was already sort of done in Goblet of Fire so they needed to add something else to the fray. I was looking forward to a showdown as in the book w/ Harry telling Voldemort to "Be a man...show some remorse", whatever he said to him in the book. But alas, we get...random flying and Voldemort flaking away after the killing curse went back on him.

Overall, I did enjoy it. Took my mom who didn't like HP and she enjoyed it. She was surprised at that. She did have a lot of questions, which I filled in afterwards.

Probably will see it again....just for the Snape part. :)

18. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    It was very good. I still think Part One was better, though. But I love Neville throughout the movie!

19. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    I'll speak out as one of the low votes. A 4. Decent film I guess. Glosses over actually significant losses in the seventh book. Turns Harry Potter into a seventy-year-old commentary on Nazis, I guess. Sucks the creative vitality out of a vibrant series, creates an ordinary boring 'epic' film and milks it for money.

Maybe I'm biased, though. I liked part one. I've never liked Snape, and I've felt for a long time his entire subplot in Deathly Hallows and in the series as a whole doesn't make that much sense on a personal level. I prefer three kids tromping around in the woods not knowing what to do with themselves to some conflict with wizard Nazis. I don't really get why it's a good idea at all for the series to hinge on a plot about magic wands. I laughed when Harry harvested Snape's tears. Couldn't help it. Somewhere in there Neville Longbottom is denied a very real moment of heroism and given a very superficial one, just to make some kind of action sequence flow better.

But yeah, I guess in some ways it's a good film. But it didn't do much for me besides bore me. It's dull. Lacks depth and richness. Hopefully we can forget about these films in a few years.

20. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    First and foremost, I am, and always will be, a fan of the books. From my history for the love of movies, there's one thing I've learned. A movie based on a novel will not have the same effect as the novel itself. A movie is only a director's depiction or interpretation of the novel. Having said that, I gave DH 2 a 10 simply because it interprets the book so well. That doesn't mean there are not scenes missing or scenes added from the novel. The movie isn't perfect in terms of a literal translation, but that's not how I graded it. If you want the literal translation, READ THE BOOK! Rowling's words are far more magical in your own imagination than relying on someone else's interpretation.

The blend of action and emotion was perfect. I saw it first in 2D and later saw it in IMAX 3D. I don't know about anyone else, but hearing Voldemort speak to everybody at Hogwarts with that eerie whisper was downright creepy. Loved Ron and Hermoine's sudden kiss that they both knew should have happened much earlier. The crowd I was with both times cheered at that! :*

I wish/hope the Academy doesn't treat this movie as a kid's movie, because both Radcliffe and Rickman deserve nominations!

All in all, the movies did what they needed to do. Yes, they made a boatload of money (no pun for Titanic intended [face_money_eyes]) They successfully turned a literary phenomenon into a movie franchise. My favorite will always be POA because that's the one that first shed the kids label. POA is also the most cinematic, and each movie after it tried to copy the same style (thank you, Mr. Cuarón =D=) But DH capped the series brilliantly. I'll consider DH 1 and 2 as one 4 hour 40 min movie when DH2 is out on dvd. Yet, if I want to see what the movies didn't include, I'll reach for the books.

21. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I gave it an 8, same as Part 1. I enjoyed it, but I think the 3rd film is still the best in the series.

22. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Not seen it.

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    10. My only complaints were some non-canon moments.

24. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    9. Best of the lot, for sure, but just a little bit short of perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.