main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How'd you get into FanForce?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by TheBoogieMan, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I know her too and are marrying her on Saturday September the 9th 2006 :)

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, I guess it helps to know someone if you are marrying them. :p

3. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    I posted a topic over at Southeast General Discussion demanding where a FanForce for my hometown was. They then directed me to MidSouth, where I then found a board for my hometown of West Monroe, Louisiana.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I found TF.N on one of my first experiences with the internet. I just typed Star Wars into a altavista search and TF.N came up first. I registered at the JC in '98, since I thought that you needed to be registered even if you just wanted to read. I wasn't active at all though. Then I heard about a new kind of boards in spring of 2000, and I registered at these FanForce boards. I thought it was fun that there was a board just for European fans. We mostly talked about football (soccer) if I'm not totally wrong. It was the European championships in June 2000. Most of all I posted in the FF community forum though, where I quickly joined the rogues and was one of the creators of sushibeer. In the European forum I had also started a thread called "Any vikings?" to see if there were other SW fans from the nordic countries. Apparently the powers at the time thought there were enough of us, so when the FF boards moved to the JC we got our own forum. In there the Swedish people started to joke about seeing each other, maybe for the premiere of episode II. We got impatient though and held our first meeting in August 2001. Then it just rolled on, I became CR, RSA and in the end GSA. I've taken part in most of the European FF meetings, and I met a bunch of other FF people at C3. I love meeting people that you've only talked to on the boards, and then talk to them in RL.

5. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
  6. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    Pretty much the same as many. Registered at the JC, didn't post much, discovered FF (the separate boards) and, I believe, was the first to post on the french boards out there. Also haunted the community boards with the old guard. Co-invented sushibeer. Came back to the JC when the two forums merged. I think we got our first offical FF meet-up in Jul'01. Became CR then RSA, resigned when romance made me moved to the UK. Still not posting much in the JC :p But I lub my FanForce, we have had/still have great times together. If back in 2000 somebody had told me I'd invite people from a SW message board to my wedding, I probably would have laughed and say that all people on the internet are psychos :p

7. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I found tf.n back in 1999 when looking for the Troops fan film just before the release of TPM.

I hung around for some time, but never felt comfortable on any of the forums, so didn't end up registering until Sep 2000. Spent most of my formative time on the Fan Films forum reading up on this wonderful medium that kept me entertained between films, then wandered over to the fan force forum at the end of 2000.

The rest, as they say, is history. I was sucked in and haven't let go since.

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I found TF.n around 1998, but never bothered signing up to the boards until '99 (under another name, for the life of me, I can't remember!) When I got bored of trying to figure out what my username was, I signed up under the name I have now, and began hanging around the Fan Film section, and the JCC.

I founded our Fan Force chapter in June of this year to try and rally some like-minded people, and help in-part rejuvinate FF-UK as whole. :)

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I just came across the STLFF boards when I was browsing through TFN. I started lurking/posting a bit, then I became a pretty active member. Meeting Dajuan at my first FF meeting made me want to stick with the group. :)

10. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Sabine encourged me to join up with my area FF.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Looks like I'm among the rare kind who posted on the JC first (although not much).
    Found TF.N because I looked for something that made fun of Star Wars (TF.N once had a working updated humor site [face_whistling])
    Found the JC through some link or another. Registered on the JC in May 00 (under a completely made-up name that looks impossible to pronounce :rolleyes:) and only found FanForce, specifically the German Speaking part, only a about year later - around which time I switched to my TwiLekJedi handle.

FanForce quickly drew me in (well, meeting these wonderful people helped a lot! :D) and I visited the JC less and less
    but in 2002 I slowly returned more and more to the JC side.
    And it took an awesome banner in CT to maek me a mod, after I blew three chances to become one of those *cough*lowly*cough* FanForce mods (first time I said no, second time I wasn't even suggested :mad:, third time I simply lost for reasons that still don't make any sense to me... o_O)
    (do you guys still have that ridiculous questionnaire??)

12. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Interesting, Senny. I still think I hold the mantle of being registered for the longest without discovering my local FF. :p

13. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Gosh, You area bit slow, aren't you Dan :p

I have to admit that I went to the VicFF boards hoping to make some friends to talk to while I was bored at work. What I found there... *shudder* I waivered between the Newbie forum and FF for a while before venturing anywhere else on the boards, so they prepared me for the worst ;)

Although I have stuck around for the most part and finally got to meet a few, so that's alright...I guess!

I kinda wish we were more of a hanging out social group that a lot of FFs seem to be, but eh, tis the way of things :p

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I agree, Pulsar. I never knew you came to us before venturing out into the big JC world.

But, you'll always be a newbie to me. :p

15. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Good on ya, kid :p

16. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Figured I oughta throw my name in here...

I first discovered TFN when it was the Star Wars Pages at Texas A&M. I visited on an off throughout my college years, but didn't really do much in the way for any forums. Pretty much stayed away from that aspect of things.

When TPM rolled around, I started poking around the forums a bit, but didn't see any FanForce forum for Albuquerque. Then pretty much forgot all about it until the spring following AotC. My wife saw a flyer for a local FanForce at a local library branch. Went to the FF forum and saw that one had sprung up within the last year. So - cool!

Joined in that May and made some lifelong friends. FanForce is da bom.

17. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    My dad showed me the tf.n website my senior year of high school. I read things on occassion and eventually registered on the forums in 2002. Then browsing the boards I found a fellow Spokane person hoping to start up a Fan Force. The first check-in was in Dec of 02. Then around March of 2004 Raph1613 (Alfredo) started trying to find people willing to start a FF here. Unfortunantly I was the only taker at the time and Alfredo pretty much gave up hope. A few months later I ran into another Spokanite on the boards willing to get together for an FF, contacted Alfredo, and we finally had our first meeting in August of 2004. By September 21, 2004 we were official. So I got into Fan Force by helping found one here in Spokane.

18. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Back when I was collecting POTF...I always ran into the same group of guys week in and week out. When the TPM Midnight Toy Release happened, I found that they had all just recently banded together to form a 'FanForce' chapter...I didnt know what the HECK it was at the time but I signed up a week later.

19. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I found TF.N when TPM came out.. it was one of the first websites I ever found when I got online. Then.. for five yrs I had a lot of life upheaval and left.. then we got a computer again.. FINALLY back in March.. and I was able to start posting again.. albeit a different handle.. way back when it was Padme27 or some such sock as that.. but I couldn't remember the password if I had to. so I just used my name and nickname as my sock and started posting.. though by now living in another state.. I was never involved in a group though until this past year.. the tucson forum was defunct and I wanted some folks to hang out with. So I started posting in the SW region forum and finally got a nibble and from there we grew and got our forum back.. now things are going pretty good.. never would have thought way back when it could be so good!!

20. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Most of our chapter found TF.N after our local club was no longer a going concern. We wanted less monthly responsibilities of running a fairly involved club & more or less ended up as a baby sitting service for people to dump their kids off for a day. Our previous CR was already involved in the whole online SW community thing & encouraged us to join as a way of keeping in touch regularly, now were looking at expanding the SAFF (South Australian Fan Force) to hopefully replace our old club, but as a more informal entity.

For this alone I thank TF.N [:D]

Have "met" some really tremendous people from all over the world. Keep the chat going & the love of SW alive forever.

21. Twinnie

Twinnie Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 5, 2001
    Yeah, thanks FanForce for enabling us to "meet" and actually meet some great people [face_love]

I discovered FanForce when it merged with the JC back in 2000 - I was getting bored of the JC by then, and it's what got me to stick around ^^ I'd discovered the JC because of *hides* fanfictions, which I was quite fond of at the time.
    I first registered and lurked during the summer '00, got the name "Twinnie2" in october '00 (as I'm the youngest of two not-quite-but-almost-twins), and created the account Twinnie for fear that someone would use it and "stole" my name (*sigh* teenagers do have strange ways of thinking).

FanForce is one of the main things that got me fluent in English - thanks everyone, you rule ^^

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I stumbled upon the FF boards after being a member at TFN for 2 1/2 years. Can't remember just how I came across it, (seems like I did a websearch of Memphis + Star Wars), but I do remember asking my wife after discovering it, "Why doesn't TFN advertise this better?" We didn't even know it existed before then.

Well, 3 terms as Prez later, I'm glad I stuck around. My wife and I both have FF to thank for bringing us together with our closest friends. A lot of good has come from my involvement with FanForce, and it's been one heck of a ride.

23. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    I registered back when FF was on UBB and made a few posts over there. After the merge, I didn't pay that much attention until I was promoted to mod (under the name Son of the Suns). Then I started going through a few of the forums, particularly the Latin American forums, and I was briefly the RSA for that region. Even through all that, I've never really felt like I've been as involved in the FF as I should be. Maybe it's time to change that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.