main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V How're the Dark Empire 1 & 2 Radio Dramas?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CaptainHamYoyo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Nope, just that the SW ones I've heard don't (aside from the "opening crawl" parts). Having one would have made the audio dramas' dialogue more natural, as it is in the audiobooks.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is true, Black Library and Dark Adventure Radio Theatre use narrators in their audio dramas and that makes the dialogue so much more natural.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The fight scene dialogue is done quite well.

"My hand! You cut off my hand!" -Clone Palpatine's reaction to Luke Skywalker's application of Cho Sun in the Duel on the Eclipse.

4. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014

It's only polite to inform one's opponent of an injuries sustained while battling them. The Cloud City duel would have been so much more epic if Luke had yelled that at Vader.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That reminds me of a rap... a rap I haven't heard in a long time. A long time. (relevant quote ~2:25):

6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Palpatine certainly demonstrates a complete mastery of Dun Moch in Dark Empire I.

"What's the matter Skywalker? Getting tired? Not quite as young as you were when you fought your father?"-Darth Sidious in a young clone body dueling Luke Skywalker in the Clone Laboratory on Byss.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    [face_tee_hee]

I don't think it's ever going to stop amusing me that the EU made Sith taunting their opponents while fighting into a formally named dark side ability.

8. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014

Especially since it's only been six years and Luke has displayed some insane new powers since ROTJ.

They really should have just called it "being a jerk."

9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    "You forget. I am a Jedi Master now. And I know something about the Dark Side!" -Luke Skywalker as he Force Pushed the Reborn Emperor in their Duel in the Cloning Laboratories.

Palpatine doesn't take that too well. Guess he's still smarting over Yoda doing the same thing to him in ROTS.

"You dare use the Force against me? Skywalker you go too far."

10. starkillerab15

starkillerab15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    Does Anyone know who voiced master Ood Bnar because I wanna know I've been looking and looking and nothing there was no answer I figured y'all would know so do yall know how was or who voiced master Ood Bnar

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It has to be one of the other credited voice actors. My guess would be Jim Ward.

12. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    They're actually really good, i had previously read the comic but i enjoyed the audio drama as if it was the first time i experienced the story, the voice actors are all great, and the action is easy to follow and well-characterized, i love how absolutely insane Sheev sounds even when he's on a young body, a lot of his lines stuck with me long after listening to it, he's not Ian Mcdiarmid, but i think he's a great Palpatine for Dark Empire.

Plus, Billy Dee Williams is in it.

It's a very good experience, one that feels very different from the Comic Book.

Daneira, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Overall, I feel that the DE Audio Drama was better than the ST and even the PT,lol.

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The Smugglers audios had their heart in the right place, but I'd say that the Dark Empire and other audios are better written and are about equal as far as music and sound effects. (I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the audios have much in the way of original sound effects or music.) Still not in the same neighborhood as the radio dramas, but definitely worth a listen.

Still haven't heard the Empire's End audio. :( Hoping to track that down as I attempt my last full read-through of the EU.

I particularly enjoyed the Dark Forces audio dramas; I seem to remember there being quite a few extended/original scenes that weren't in the video games or the graphic novels. (IIRC there's an extended scene with Thrawn eavesdropping on two Imperial officers, which was pretty cool even though the voice actor isn't nearly as good as Lars Mikkelsen.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I cannot imagine how expensive or difficult it would be to track down a legitimate copy of that today. I think I paid around a 50% markup ($60 retail, ~$90 auction bid) off of ebay 15-17 years ago (I forget exactly when I finally got a copy) and, even then, copies were rarely listed for auction or sale and were closely hawked-over by last-minute bidders. Probably took me half a dozen tries to win an auction. And a quick glance on ebay just now doesn't show any even listed.

QuinlanSolo and AusStig like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: Empire's End audio, PM me.

AusStig likes this.