main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HP: PoA - Hagrid the Professor - Early Woodwinds?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by pahket, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    In 'Hagrid the Professor" from the Prisoner of Azkaban, I'm having difficulty figuring out which early woodwinds start the piece. Obviously, the tenor part is a trombone (a.k.a. Sackbutt), but what about the two soprano instruments? The tone is too dark and smooth to be a crumhorn, I think. I've checked several early woodwind sites, but without sound samples to match a voice to the instrument, it's troublesome at best.

Does anybody know?

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know what they are, but Williams licensed several authentic medieval instruments for this score.

3. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    Hmm. Any other takers?

Of course, I could very easily ask my music professor...probably the best route.

4. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    According to the liner notes, the instruments were provided by the Dufay Collective, an English group that specializes in Medieval and Renaissance music. After looking at their wikipedia page, my guess would be the instruments you're asking about might be either the Dulcian or the Shawm.

5. Lady Kenobi

Lady Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 10, 1999
    I play in an early music ensemble (Dorian Mirth). We actually arranged and played this piece for a Book 6 release party and we used a krumhorn (See a Picture). I would have to check if it s particular kind, but that seemed to interpret the original music nicely. We also arranged for our group 'Double/Trouble' and 'Window to the Past.' Suffice to say, it was a blast to play this amazing music! I will fully admit to being slightly disappointed that subsequent movies have not used music as much from that time period.

6. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    Holy hell! In picture 10, is that a great bass recorder?

7. Lady Kenobi

Apr 10, 1999
    Not sure if "great" (well I mean as opposed to regular?), but yes that is a bass recorder. I have one myself now! Although I have yet to master it because I still cannot seem to easily play the required different fingering (bass, alto and sopranino tuned to F while my own familiar tenor and soprano are in C, plus the wee garklein). I do love the deep mellow sound of the bass.

Hold on, after consulting some info online on recorders I see where your question comes from. Looks like a great bass is in C (hmm, in retrospect that might be nice for me) while the bass is in F, plus a lower range--I assume as I have never actually heard/seen a great bass. Many members of our group play several different recorders anywhere from three to six apiece. This help to create fascinating variety of arrangements, even going so far as playing switch-around between verses.

Thanks for your question!

8. Lady Jinn

Lady Jinn Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 1999
    (another Dorian Mirth member here...) Along with the krumhorn, we also used a cornamuse (also in that picture), which is very similar to a krumhorn. They are both double-reeded capped instruments, which means there's a double reed but you blow through a cap instead of directly on the reeds (as you do with an oboe or bassoon, for instance).

Here's a place where you can listen to some sound clips:

Krumhorn

Cornamuse

And/or go to our website and click on the link at the top for a sample of "Noel Nouvelet" - there's a krumhorn featured in that.

9. Lady Jinn

Lady Jinn Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 1999
    Whoops, I hit post before I finished my thought.

In the soundtrack, it is definitely a double-reed instrument. My money would be on it being a shawm.

10. Lady Kenobi

Apr 10, 1999
    Ah, see I didn't know the proper name of the cornamuse, thanks for helping me out Lady Jinn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.