main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HP-TSS - NOW DISCUSSING Chapter 16: Three-headed Sentinel

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    CBC (Chapter by Chapter) has come to the SFF-Film and Television forums. This discussion series has already tackled several magnificent films in the past year and a half including all six Star Wars films and most recently Lord of the Rings.

For those not familiar with these discussions, please visit any current ROTS discussion in the PT forums or LOTR-FOTR discussion in the SFF forums.

I give great pleasure in starting Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone chapter discussions.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003CXI1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

2. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the SFF CBC discussions, I would like to discuss HP-TSS chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 34 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 35: End Credits

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 1: Doorstep Delivery
    DISCUSSION: May 11, 2006 - May 15, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 - 4:04

Synopsis:
    The film opens as a cat at night is on Privet Drive. A wizard Albus Dumbledore enters the scene. He takes out his put outer and takes all the light away from the lampposts. He moves over to the cat calling her Professor McGonagalll. She transforms from a cat into an elderly woman with a witch's hat. She asks if the rumors are true. Dumbledore says that they are. The boy is being brought by Hagrid. McGonagall wonders about Dumbledore's decision, but he would trust Hagrid with his life. A flying motorcycle lands in Privet Drive. It is Hagrid. He is with young Harry Potter who he gives over to Dumbledore. McGonagall doesn't feel right sending Harry to the Dursleys. They are the worst set of Muggles, but they are his only family. Dumbledore says that this is a temporary goodbye and he will return to their world when ready. He wishes the infant good luck. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is an interesting start for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. You can also call it Philosopher's Stone if need be. It is quite different from the book. But I personally think it does the opening justice in many ways for the film and series.

First of all, in the book we see the parade of wizards during the day celebrating the defeat of Voldemort and also we see the day of the Dursleys. Here we go straight to night. It's a more mysterious beginning than in the book and works better. The put outer is pretty cool, symbolizing that a wizard's business is not in the light of the Muggles.

The arrival of Hagrid is definitely fantastical. Not of my favorite moments. It's interesting to see that Hagrid could fit on the bike despite his giant size. The one thing I guess I am glad they omitted was that it was Sirius Black's bike. If there was any mention of Sirius here then it would have taken the importance of the revelation scenes in Prisoner of Azkaban.

This definitely is the Luke scene of HP. The hero is sent away from the action to his relatives. This is so Hero of a Thousand Faces right here. Also I like the effect of the scar being lit up which goes straight into the main title. Great opening and chapter.

3. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  4. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    So it begins...my third favorate saga of all time right behind SW and LOTR.

Thanks, Moleman. You rock for creating and running these wonderful CBCs. [face_peace]

The scene has a pefect atmosphere. Moody, dark and mysterious. Something is quite off and the fog helps. There is also a strange rainy moist mist in the air that you can notice in the shot where Hagrid's motorcyle flies down and lands.

I love how the Owl flies around in a patternized way, makes a 'swoop', zig-zag and flies away JUST as Dumbledore reveals himself is awesome. Like the Owl was to check if the coarse was clear for Dumbledore.

Professor McGonagall being revealed in this way (as a cat then human) sets up her signiture magic trick and sets things up for later in the movie.

I love the little street sign of: 'Privet Drive' that you can see in the backround of a few shots (reminds me of: No entry, only on party business from FOTR).

I never understood why if Dumbledore put out all the street lights then why did he leave the bright bright porch lights on? I think you can see Sirious Black's name on the motorcycle but I'm not sure if that is true.

The script here is medicore and but a mere fraction of all that is revealed in the book in this same chapter but it gets the core important things that need to be established in a vague and mysterious way.

I love the opening (esp. thanks to JW's score) and the end of this scene though it does feel a little cartoonish (like Pokemon movies, in the way the title of the film is revealed) is sweet.

Richard Harris (rest in peace sir), Maggie Smith and Robbie Coltrane are as always great here. Though Maggie Smith sometimes acts a bit too melodramatic at times.

I never understood: 'Good Luck'. I thought wizards like Jedi didn't beleive in luck but magic?

Well this scene sets up the series very nicely. All the main big and most powerful good guy characters are introduced here in this very opening paasage in a decent manner: Dumbledore, McGonagall, Hagrid and last but certainly not least.....Harry Potter. The boy who lived.

Short nifty scene and a great begining to a good movie.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    another great series to do CBCs for! thanks Moleman1138!

i love the music in this opening chapter. it works out well for the introduction to the movie series. nice intro of dumbledore, mcgonnagal, and hagrid

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Sorcerer?s ?????????? :confused:

It says Philosopher's on my copy.

It's a great opening to the franchise - they actually impressed me with the level of detail and accuracy of their SFX - looked spot on and actually believable.

Actually sets the scene well for the development of the plot (and the rise of Harry Potter), but more importantly introduces the dark and sinister side of the world of magic/wizardry.

Really got me into the movie, whereas I'd totally failed reading the book as I hate JKRs writing style.

7. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Even though I am an American, I agree with malkieD2, the title needs to be changed to the Philosopher's Stone. It's the proper name of the book and was changed for idiotic purposes by the US publisher.

8. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Well as for the very first scene of the Harry Potter films (which was the first moment I ever saw Harry Potter) I guess it did it's job because it got me into the movie. It also helped me to understand the characters in that scene. Hagrid was sensetive, McGonigol was kind but strict and Dumbelldore was a kind old man.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 2: Vanishing Glass DISCUSSION will be made available 12:40 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the SFF CBC discussions, I would like to discuss HP-TSS chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 34 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 35: End Credits

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 2: Vanishing Glass
    DISCUSSION: May 16, 2006 ? May 20, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 4:05 ? 8:09

Synopsis:
    Harry wakes up in the broom closet at Number 4 Privet Drive. Aunt Petunia knocks on the door, telling him to wake up. His cousin, Dudley jumps on the steps above him. Sawdust enters the broom closet. It is Dudley?s birthday. Harry is cooking breakfast. Dudley asks how many presents he has received. There is one present less than last year. Dudley throws a tantrum and is to be rewarded with two presents after they return from the zoo. Dudley and Harry are at a snake exhibit at the zoo. The snake is sleeping. Dudley demands that it does something and pounds on the glass. Dudley goes away. Harry talks to the snake, not realizing that it understands him. Dudley comes over and sees the snake talking to Harry. The snake escapes. Dudley ends up behind the glass. Uncle Vernon notices Harry snickering. Harry said it was like magic. Vernon says there is no such thing as magic. They return home. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    We get to meet Harry as a ten year-old. Technically he?s not eleven until a chapter or so from now. That opening shot of Harry waking up makes him look quite older. When I first saw this shot apart from the film, I could have sworn this was from COS or POA.

You can see from the start that Harry does not have essentialism to his environment. His relations treat him rotten, especially that dolt of a cousin Dudley. This will definitely foreshadow Malfoy?s bullying. But the idea of Harry standing up for himself will evolve as he confronts Malfoy and his return to the Dursley?s in COS.

Dudley is definitely the brat not only at home but at the zoo as well. No brat like that deserves 38 presents or a trip to the zoo. He definitely plays offf Harry quite well in both scenes. The zoo scene is pretty cool as we do get to see Harry?s first use of magic in the film. First of all, we see him speaking Parselmouth, which will be brought up in COS and also he use magic unintentionally, which will foreshadow his lack of control with Aunt Marge in POA.

Some say that this snake is Nagini or a relation to Nagini. I have to disagree. It served its purpose in this scene to establish a magical happening as well as the catalyst for Harry?s punishment in the following chapter. Seeing Dudley trapped behind glass makes me laugh. I have to say serves you right you brat. Good chapter.

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  12. digitalman2006

digitalman2006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2006
    Vanishing glass. You are referring to the zoo scene where Harry makes the glass disappear and his fat cousin falls into the snake cage. HA, HA very funny!! I really injoyed that. I wish I could do that to some of stuck up cousins.

13. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I like this scene, it gives a little exposition before the story picks up steam...I guess there's not much more to say, other than that the snake is pretty funny. It was well executed from page to screen.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I sense a bit of sarcasm in your post. :p

I'm glad you're doing Harry Potter CBC Discussions now. I'll enjoy this in-depth discussion.

Yes, good chapter. We get a sense of Harry's powers here. Though as we read further in the book we find out that any kid with wizarding talent is able to do things like this; making the vanishing glass trick less special and unique in the overall scheme of things. None-the-less, this chapter is a great spring board into the realm of Harry's abilities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the glass re-appear in the book version. Obviously it did in the movie, but I can't remember off hand if it reappeared in the book version, trapping Dudley inside.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i forget whether the glass reappeared in the book. either way it looks good in the movie. i got a chuckle out of that scene when dudley couldn't get out :p

16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Cool! Chapter by chapter for Harry Potter!

I like the Vanishing Glass - glad this made it into the movie - it was a great balance of humor, Harry's abilities and how they manifested in his everyday life with the Durselys.

Daniel did a good job in this scene too - I loved his little conversation with the Snake and the look on his face when it slithered away an gave him a nice "Thanksssss".

And of course, nothing beats Dudley trapped in the tank. (I can't remember either if the glass reappeared in the book - something makes me want to say it didn't - don't have my copy on me though).

17. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    This works as a revenge scene. Dudley finds himself in the same position the snake he was torturing in the begening of the scene was in. Chris Columbus has his Home Alone esque moment here, I think.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 3: The Letters From No One DISCUSSION will be made available 12:45 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

Chapter 3: The Letters From No One
    DISCUSSION: May 21, 2006 ? May 25, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 8:10 ? 12:16

Synopsis:
    The Dursleys and Harry return home from the zoo. Uncle Vernon asks Harry what happened. Harry says it was just like magic. Vernon says there is no such thing as magic. The next day, Harry gets the mail and a letter addressed to him. Dudley snatches it and gives it to Vernon. Vernon and Petunia know what it is. The next day more letters arrive. Uncle Vernon rips them up. The next day more letters arrive and Vernon throws them into the fire. The next day is Sunday. Vernon is pleased that there is no post on Sunday. But then a letter flies down the fireplace. Then letters in the hundreds begin to flood the living room. Harry catches one. Vernon tries to take it from them and decides that the family should leave where they can?t find them. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    If the last two chapters didn?t say right out that this is a magic movie, this does. You can see from Uncle Vernon?s deliveries that he is trying to cover something up. Harry mentioned something about being like magic and that?s basically taboo in the Dursley house.

When Harry gets his letter, Dudley perfectly plays off as the jealous bratty cousin, snatching that letter from Harry. He can?t bear to see Harry get something he didn?t. Once Vernon and Petunia see the Hogwarts crest, they know what it is. Now we won?t know the truth until the final book, but you can sense that they don?t want Harry going to Hogwarts.

One thing that caught me off guard is that when Harry says that no post comes on Sunday, Vernon is very polite towards him and is not his usual self. The flood of letters has some great cinematography and definitely plays Hedwig?s theme is a grand way that reflects the moment of truth. Magic has come back into Harry?s world.

The combination of bird?s eye shots and others really help complete the end of this chapter. At this point, you can really cheer for Harry because magic is working against the Dursley?s and forcing them to counterbalance the system. Good chapter.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  21. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Very good scene, the whole "outpour of letters" sequence was quite wondrous.

22. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I love the "There's no such thing as magic!" shot, when Vernon slams closed the grate in the door to Harry's little hovel beneath the stairs - it's just so...Uncle Vernon-ish.

Also love the wild attack of the letters with Harry jumping gleefully at them all - now that's magic.

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Vernon has all the fun and Petunia just sits back even though she knows more because of Lily.

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to moving, CBC will be on a short hiatus (a week to a week and a half). Please enjoy the extended discussion.

-Moleman

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 4: Keeper of the Keys DISCUSSION will be made available 8:30 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.