main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HTML

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LadyVader81, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Perhaps Paul... he probably realises that too... but given the team was recently "downsized", the opportunity for training and development has shrunk recently.

Here's a couple of sites he's done for the company he works for... no site design packages used!

ICMobile

WhatsOn

And something he did freelance before starting work with them...

MobilePhones4Charity

EDIT: As for frames/tables... you can specify the size of a frame or table based upon a defined pixel size or as a percentage of the screen resolution, so what's the difference?! As my own site uses both frames and tables, I've had to adjust both for varying resolutions... although it will look better in one particular size (1024x800) which most of my visitors (80%+) use...

2. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    The IC sites are quite good.

3. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
  4. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5. anakin_pm

anakin_pm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2001
  6. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Interesting... did you do this site John? I'll forward it to my bro and see what he thinks...

All well and good of course... if you have the bandwidth to load it up in the first place :p

Which prompts a new question. I much prefer content over style, especially if the site is too graphics intensive. I'm not the only one who shares this view. Most people maybe up to 56kps by now, but that's still slow compared to what say I get at work. And if all the fancy stuff takes ages, then you might as well just pass and go to a similar site. Views?

7. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    No I didn't do it...but I do believe that that is the future of web design...a hybrid of animation and design...that moves away from standard layout...

8. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Thats as well as maybe, but the internet has gotten to the stage where the website is the shop window of a company/organisation. If it doesn't look good and work well, people are gonna leave pronto. You could have the most information intensive website in the world, but if it doesn't look pretty then folks are gonna be turned off by it.

This is one of my faves... wmteam

9. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Actually I think you're probably right... but access speeds will have to increase a lot more before it becomes "standard"...

//waits for BT to get broadband over the country by 2025 :p

ED: And looking pretty doesn't always have to mean graphically intensive though...

10. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    ntl release a 1mg broadband in April

11. anakin_pm

Feb 16, 2001
    Im getting BroadBand soon :D

12. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I wont be getting it any time soon, maybe when I move back to London I will.

13. anakin_pm

Feb 16, 2001
    Thats going to be my next version of sites, Flash dependant sites, its they we are heading.

14. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    I'll get excited when they push it out to rural communities... obviously not holding my breath

15. anakin_pm

Feb 16, 2001
    Hey Kempsey is Rural!

16. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Not half as rural as Devon... only Exeter have broadband at the moment.

17. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    NTL may well be bringing out broadband next month (and as a customer, that's something I'll consider signing on for) but they are also $2billion in debt... hopefully they won't collapse!

But Sam is right, rural places are stuffed for it... a mate of mine in Wales really wants it but because he's in the middle of nowhere, there's bugger all chance of improving on his current dial-up.

18. mattybrown

mattybrown Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    Arun Dale, what was that about ntl bringing out a 1mbps net connection in the near future?

I'm on a 512kbps cable modem from ntl atm, and quite frankly... it rocks! I've had it nearly a year, so I'll soon be able to cancel the contract (not likely), or replace it with something faster.

Where can I find out more about the 1mbps connection, please?

19. mattybrown

mattybrown Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
  20. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    I use Frontpage, since it's quick and easy to do a lot of repetitious work which occassionally carries over from one page to the next, like color, text, and basic format of the page.

However a program like Frontpage tries to constrain you into using what Bill Gates wants. It also has coding which sometimes can cause problems with other browsers which don't belong to Microsoft. And at times, it can be very difficult to get the program to accept your own special customizations.

The solution to those problems, is to learn HTML. Then you can take page you're working on into notepad and do your special coding and customizing in there without Bill Gates interferring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.