main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Humor... Return to Sanity(Discussion/Challenge/Index)* Sep 22, *New Topic/Challenge*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Son_of_Nut, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I was referring more to Terry Pratchett. His Death gets kicked off the job one day for having become 'too human'. Of course being a seven foor skeleton does not have mayn advantages if you can't personate death.[face_plain]

:p Yod.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    you have no idea how gratifying it is that this is still getting some attention. again, i apologize for not coming back sooner. i haven't been so capable of too very coherent thought recently, so i've mainly just been socializing.

i'm going to put up another topic tommorow.

3. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Hey, you're the one who said, 'see it through'! :D

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    You missed the viewing, but there'll be cookies and milk later.

5. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    OK, and now tell the poor foreign speaker what exactely a 'viewing' is?
    Do we all get to see Halloween and have out pictures taken with the body? Or do we have to endure a long dia-show about it's life?[face_worried]

6. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Well, now sugar, I can only speak as one from the south...but a viewing is when the body is laid out in the coffin and all come to pay their respects.

And if this doesn't sound morbid enough...there are usually refreshments served.

7. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Ooops, my bad. Bit of a cultural rift here - I said it under the impression that everyone understood a 'viewing' to be a party where the bereved got to watch the deceased's moment of death while Bob Saget of "America's Funniest Home Videos" made amusing quips as an off-screen narrator. Heh. Next time I'll try to use more explanatory language. [face_blush]

:p

8. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Well, I've seen Bob Saget at a few viewings, but only if refreshments were served...;)

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Viewing of Halloween? Or just the body? (am so, so confused)

Oh, and I like humor that's irreverent. Slaptick is good, too, but it must be used right.

10. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    We're just being silly. It was meant to be confusing...but that's just my twisted sense of humor rearing its ugly head. Would you like a cookie?

11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Can never resist a cookie. (unless they're coconut...)

You're not the only one being silly. :D

12. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    HeeHee! Never coconut! Have a chocolate chip...;)

13. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    FLASHBACK!
    *earlier that day...*

"MUahahaha! My greatest plan yet: I shall replace all of Jade_PIlot's chocolate chip cookies with awful coconut cookies!! Then, then the world shall bow before me..somehow
    [/Flashback]

(I've been to one too many improv shows lately)

14. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    o_O ...just take a deep calming Jedi breath...that's it. HEY! Who switched out the chocolate chip cookies for coconut!!!!

15. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    *shamelessly abusing her account access to ursurp the topic*[face_mischief]

Since we're already at being silly: Puns and wordplay!
    What does work for you, and why?
    The best puns you read/wrote?
    The worst pun(ishment) you ever saw?
    Bring it on.

And don't forget to discuss.

Lanna

16. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Silly? Who's being silly?

I love puns. The worser the better. Is worser a word?

Great topic, Lanna.

*off in search of puns to display for discussion*

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Just throwing in some (hopefully helpful) words:

Homophones: sounds the same, written different (patience/patients)

Homographs: written the same different meaning(game/game)
    (While i'm at it, the expression I'm game, from which one does it come?)

What have I forgotten now? associations, connotations, double meaning,

My personal fave (probably becasue it took me half a year to figure out: 'It's the season to be jolly, and other things ending on -olly.':oops: [face_laugh]

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    *chuckles* great idea lanna, i do like the topic, even if it is a major weakness for me.

i apologize again, wasn't home as i thought i would be, and then when i was i was so wiped from being in heat i couldn't think straight. anyhoo, new topic is up so lets talk about it.

for me puns can be highly amusing, but i've never actually made one so i can't really comment on them too much. i'll enjoy the talk more than anything else, and try to look smart. *puts on smart cap*

19. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    Now that I've thought about this, it seems like a near perfect time to pull out this challenge, presented to me by Ophelia.

*CHALLENGE*

Pick a moment of high drama at any point in the films, and write it as a fic scene in which the characters are not at all thinking what you'd expect them to be thinking. (An example would be Darth Maul grimacing at Obi-Wan during the Naboo Battle, but only because he's got a peanut shell caught between his teeth, and he's trying to get it out.--This is actually from a fic called "Jedi At The Gates," which is not on TFN.) Try to keep the action and dialogue substantially similar to the original scene, but minor deviations for humor's sake are all right.

~Trimaj

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24213136&brd=10476]I Think I Can[/link] by RX_Sith
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24248571&brd=10476]Waiting to Exhale: the Fireside Story[/link] by Jade_Pilot/WyoJedi
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24259447/p1/?0]I Need You - My Life Depends On It[/link] by anakin_luver

20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I posted my story to the above challenge below.

I Think I Can

21. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Ooooo, I looove puns! Puns are the only form of humor that doubles as a weapon. I'm convinced that, if found, the perfect pun could kill a man in cold blood. My favorite existing pun is the "Friars" one, where it takes around five minutes of story for the comic to get the punch: 'hugh, and only hugh can prevent florist Friars'. And it's the number one way to get everyone in the room to hate you instantaneously.

I once wrote a three-page-long pun ending with "The only way to determine the state of Abyss-ness is summon Cider Tray Ding". The only time my brother nearly attacked me for something I wrote was when I made him read that one all the way through.

As for the Challenge...oh man! I wrote something for that once! Way back in the day, I wrote the scene from TPM where Darth Maul is standing over Obi Wan - who's hanging on for dear life, but somehow manages to both force-jump and force-pull-ignite a lightsaber, from Maul's perspective. He's thinking about where he's going to eat after the fight. It's his downfall.
    If only I knew where I put that blasted thing ...

22. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Your quest, Yodimus, is to find, said FF, and post it as quickly as possible!!!

I want to read that!

...please?

23. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I despise puns. So I subject my poor characters to as much word play as possible without causing my readers also to despise me. :p

I say the longer and more convoluted the pun, the better. Colin Mochrie (sp?) often does this well on Whose Line Is It Anyway? during the news show game.

[face_laugh] That's exactly what I'm talking about! That thing is awful! Therefore, it cracks me up.

24. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005

Ah, yes. one of those things I can't decipher. I know, there is most likely some trading involved, but I just don't get it. I think this will take even longer than 'folly'. I'll put up a random post with ten laughing smileys in here the day I get it.

The best/worst I ever got was 'they're more nuts than almonds' for a bunch of really weird people. It's not up yet, so I still have a chance to save me that blamage.[face_blush]
    Sometimes I feel that wordplay I think up is not really funny to native speakers, because we look at the language from a different angle.

25. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Just got bit by a bunny for the challenge. I'm doing my first team-writing with Wyo-Jedi and he is soooooo funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.