main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hungarian Han Solo Novels in Translation!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Fandom, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Darth Fandom

Darth Fandom Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2019
    If you haven't heard of these novels, you can read two of my blog posts. The first one is about the Han Solo books. The second one is about the publisher. Anyway, I was just looking through Joe Bongiorno's awesome website (for those who don't know it, you can find it here), and I came across his update that he posted yesterday. I've copied it here:

For those of you hearing about this for the first time, long story short: these were four books set after the Brian Daley series, written exclusively in Hungary in the early '90s by Dale Avery (Nyulászi Zsolt) and Ed Fisher (Gáspár András), published by Valhalla, who were the leading sci-fi/fantasy publisher in the country and had been doing official Hungarian translations of the Thrawn books, Han Solo trilogy, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. While Avery believed this was an official Lucasfilm publication, and had worked as Daley's Hungarian translator, in fact, Lucasfilm only later acquired the rights from Valhalla for these books, making them official after the fact, likely because they were very well-received in that country and diligently followed continuity!

Unfortunately, they never got an English translation. Obsessed as I am about lost EU works, I took it upon myself to find a translator, and after a few starts and stops*, I believe I have!

It's too early to make any kind of official announcement, as the translator is yet early in the process, but I wanted to mention it because I have a good feeling about this! All I can say now is that I'll be serving as proofreader/editor, and that we're both determined to make this a reality for the fans.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date as we get closer to the completion of the first book.

* Just an addendum to say there's absolutely no hard feelings towards any previous translators. Life happens.

He's also added the four books to his timeline, which you can check out here, under the 1 BBY section. They're listed under the directly-translated titles, not the interior "English versions" of the books. I think it's going to be awesome when there's finally a translation of even just one of the books. They're unofficial and all, but I've read a couple of articles, and some people say they're even better than Brian Daley's trilogy. I don't know if this is true, but they'll be worth the read when they're translated.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Honestly the part of this that most intrigues me is the suggestion that LFL acquired the rights and made them official. I wouldn't be surprised if LFL found out about them and sued to get the rights to them, being a usage of their intellectual property. But for them to be "official" in the sense of officially endorsed, rather than just owned, you'd imagine they'd have continued publishing them; I'd be curious if they had. And it's not like there's any evidence of their being taken into account in any official publications, added to the Holocron, or otherwise considered canon. Characterizing them as official might be a stretch. But it's an intriguing prospect to see them anyway (and if they can fit comfortably inside canon, there's nothing to stop fans from adding them to their personal canon at this point).

I'd be very excited to see these translations, though; they certainly sound like some quality pulp.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    These have been one of the most fascinating bits of Star Wars trivia to me ever since I found out about them. I'll be very interested to see what comes of this.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  4. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Okay, here's some stuff I found about Valhalla, the original publishers of these books. I thought it might be kind of interesting to put some info here about the original publishers. So, I've found out that they had quite a few contracts. Not only did they publish Star Wars novels, they also published some of those Bantam Indiana Jones books, as well as some Alien and Predator novels. But anyway, they actually did quite a few Star Wars novels. There's a list of them (including the unofficial Han ones that good old Joe is working on translating) which you can find here, on the Hungarian Star Wars wiki. So, yesterday I found a website which had a list of all of Valhalla's books. If you want to see the list, click here. It looks like not only did they publish some of the novels, they also published Bill Smith's Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. The entry is over here. As Valhalla went along, they started publishing their Star Wars side-series, which began with Book 0. Book 0 is Splinter of the Mind's Eye, by Alan Dean Foster. This side-series published all of the Del Rey novels. Books 1-3 were Brian Daley's The Han Solo Adventures, and were collected in an omnibus like the original Del Rey prints. Finally, Books 4-7 were the fakes. The interior copyright sections stated that the English editions were published by "Pendragon Books," which was another name for Valhalla. Then Lucasfilm found out about the books, and to make sure that they never saw publication again, they bought the rights. However, Mr. Dale Avery, who had been making most of the fake books, went along and wrote this:

[​IMG]

I've managed to find the book as a document and I've got a really rough translation from Google Translate. I'll put a link here once I've uploaded it on my Drive. Anyway, when you look at the cover, it has everything Star Wars for Hungarian fans. The Star Wars label, the Han Solo label, Dale Avery's name on, and a title translating as "Imperial Blood." But then there's a Romulan Warship. Wow. They actually continued this format of books three more times, with Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy. Here are the covers:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The titles roughly translate as "Sensitive Farewell to the Empire," "The Imperial Fleet" and "The Star Destroyers." In truth, these books are actually just Brian Daley's The Adventures of Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh trilogy, but typical Valhalla thought that because the books are written by Brian Daley, they'll work out well with the Star Wars: Han Solo label. Poor people who thought that these were actual Star Wars novels. I also recommend looking at this link here. Just do a Google Translate to English and then search for "star wars" on the page. They have loads of Star Wars books listed, some of which weren't even published by Valhalla. Anyway, I can't wait to see what the translations turn out like for the Ed Fisher/Dale Avery books.

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    A Star Wars novel with a Romulan warbird on it. :eek:

Darth Fandom likes this.
  6. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Yep, and there's more. I just found that they did ANOTHER fake Star Wars book. I've searched for a PDF but I can't find one anywhere. This one has actually made it onto this timeline, as well as the fake Han books. It's called A Jedi hatalma, and it's an "official sequel" to the Thrawn trilogy. The title translated as "The Power of the Jedi." Here's the cover:

[​IMG]

The book is written by "Malcolm Webster," but when I search his name it comes up with a British murderer. A lot of people have said that it's probably just another name for "Dale Avery." I also found something quite hilarious about the cover of Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters. Look at the comparison between the cover of the book and the cover of Platt's Starport Guide:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those guys at Valhalla! For those of you who want to know about "The Power of the Jedi," I found this translated synopsis by Tamás Rózsa:

The Empire - thanks to Admiral Thrawn's exceptional abilities - is starting to regain it's strength. Thrawn, this superhuman creature is approaching total galactic domination, like star destroyers approach unsuspecting planets! Ruthlessly destroying everything and everyone in their path.
    The Republic is holding on and making new allies.
    The desperate struggle continues, and the last true Jedi, Luke Skywalker discovers the hitherto unknown power of the force - which is infinite.

I'm assuming "The Power of the Jedi" was published after Valhalla got their license taken away, as it says on the back cover that it's published by "Brillant." And one last thing before I go, here's a message from "Dale Avery" to Star Wars Upcoming Books & Comics:

Hi Eddie, ok, this is a sad story and I am not happy I have been part of it... These books were published by a young and very successful Hungarian publishing company. At this time they were the leading sci-fi and fantasy publisher in the country and they were the contracted publishers of all the official SW novels including Daley's Han Solo books. I was the editor and co-translator of the Daley books and some other SW books. One day the publisher asked me if I could write some more Han Solo novels. They said it will be totally legal and I believed them. So I said yes. I was quite happy and honored I thought if my Han Solo novels are good enough they might be translated and published in English as well. It would be a great honor... of course I was a huge SW fun. The books were published in Hungary and they made quite a massive success. All the rest I not sure of. I got some information but not all of them... After a while it turned out that Lucas's Arts (or anything it was called at that time) never gave a licence or permission for this. But as I know the books were still legal on a strange way because of a temporary loophole in the Hungarian copyright law. After some negotiation the publisher and Lucas Arts had an agreement and the publisher remained the official partner of Lucas Arts. I am not sure I know exactly what this agreement contained. What I am sure of the publisher paid royalty after these books as well but these books can't ever be published or reprinted again. For me that was a huge loss. I am proud of my novels but absolutely not proud of the circumstances. The best I could do is forget the whole thing.

Hope you like the info!

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ahahaha that's hilarious.

But I guess you have to give your fans something when they're so Hungary for new Star Wars books!

8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Are sure Tim Zahn didn't write this synopsis? [face_laugh]

9. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Okay, so just for fun, I'm putting links to all of the PDFs I can find of the Hungarian books. First there's the original four fakes, which have been posted on Joe's website. All of them are text files, except for Han Solo's War (which means if you want a rough translation for the text files, just upload them onto this link here). Han Solo at Doomsday's Edge can be found here, Han Solo's Gambit can be found here, Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters can be found here and Han Solo's War can be found here. I also managed to find three of the four books in the second Han Solo series (the Dale Avery book with the Romulan Warbird on the cover and the other Brian Daley books). I couldn't seem to find the first book in the Brian Daley ones, but I found the rest. Imperial Blood can be found here, The Imperial Fleet can be found here and The Star Destroyers can be found here. Note that none of these have any relation to Star Wars, other than the covers, but they are part of the Valhalla saga, so I put them here. Note that if anybody knows where I can find or has a PDF of A Jedi hatalma/The Power of the Jedi, please can you tell me where I can find it. I would really appreciate it. Anyway, Tamás Rózsa, who also translated the synopsis of A Jedi hatalma, has also translated the synopsises of the fake Han books. I need to dig them out, but I'll post them soon.

SpecForce Trooper and Xammer like this.
  10. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Forget to mention, I also found a review of A Jedi hatalma. You can find it on YouTube here. I have no idea what the reviewer's saying, as it is in Hungarian, but I thought the comments (roughly translated by Google Translate) were quite interesting:

"Can Leia teleport? Or do you mean Telekinesis?" "I haven't read it, but I won't!"

Then I found some things on the Moly.hu entry:

"Wow. That was so bad it was already a curiosity. Who would not know the background story: a Hungarian writer tried to continue the first volume of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy with an unscritical result. All along, I felt like I was reading a teen fan’s first fanfiction: the characters ’names are correct, but the characters are flat, the dialogues are forced, and the sometimes-thrown, humorous half-sentences are awfully embarrassing. The writer brutally misled Thrawn’s character, making him a sadistic idiot from Zahn’s cool, intelligent admiral. The novel, moreover, is teeming with material errors and inconsistencies: for example, the book describes the Noghriks as “Galaxy-recognized, ruthless mercenaries,” although it was clear in the previous volume that no one had ever heard of them . Thrawn washed his private suite and the Chimera Bridge into some kind of “control room” that Leia was red not to mention his blade of lights. It was also terribly confusing that the writer misinterpreted certain words: he used the words “mercenary” and “soldier,” for example, as synonyms, similar to the terms “pilot” and “navigator”. And I was just smiling pleasantly as Luke and Han watched a planet through the window and then stepped out of hyperspace at the end of the conversation … I recommend the novel only to masochists, but also to them only if all other potential sources of pain have been tried before. Among the quotes, I uploaded a couple of scenes and dialogues to make you feel how mature the style of the book is." - Half/5 stars

"As we say in role-playing circles: reading the book 1d6’s health is a point loss. Star Wars fans should be especially wary of it because what it does to the universe is a special horror. It was the only book that gave me the idea of incineration, but in the end the selective waste collector won, which is a more civilized solution." - Half/5 stars

"(Half a star is just to pull it down, plus you can't give a minus, even though a minus infinity wouldn't be enough for that). A real gem is the most infamous Hungarian fake, a little worse, but ours. With this, I also destroyed my brain cells that remained after the Jedi Prince series." - Half/5 stars

"Well this is something incredible… I can’t even find an indication of how bad a book it is. It’s horribly both historically and spelling, but even the layout is lousy. The characters are in sharp contrast to themselves in the film and history book. Luke aloof, grim… Han worried, Chewbacca gets tired of climbing sooner than Han, the roles of C3Po and R2D2 are also swapped (C3Po is a refusing jerk and R2 is a loyal puppy), Leia and Mara laugh like a teenager, a teenager like a teenager butler, and Lando is also “Clarissiant” and Karrde is “Talen”. The story is boring, cliché, the “action scenes” crash, easily resolved. It only got half a star because it doesn’t have a minus." - Half/5 stars

"Oh, my God. And we have our own copy of that… I would just ask a question, no matter who it speaks to, who it gets to. Why?!" - Half/5 stars

"So emberassing. The adventures of well-known characters, but as unimaginatively as if they were done by enrollers in some writing school. Anyway, there’s everything in it that could be even better, but that’s the style and simplicity of its character drawing (which isn’t a strength of the original series either, but it even managed to outperform here) that makes it impossible. Not to mention the “Planet of the Rocks” type of mistakes, which is obviously the merit of the publisher-editor-editor , which in my eyes credits every effort. At least some excitement could have developed!" - 2/5 stars

"I read it a long time ago and I remember it being horribly bad, plus - or thankfully - a fake" - Half/5 stars

"undemanding book." - Half/5 stars

"One of the worst books I’ve ever read. When I showed up, I sat down right away (25 years ago, you good heavens), then plugged it into the depths of the bookshelf. Now it came out .." - Half/5 stars

"Poorly managed counterfeit…" - 1/5 stars

There's also a few quotes from the book. You can find all of that stuff here. Well, hope you like the information. I'll try to regularly update this thread whenever I find some new information, or if Joe posts something new about the translations.

SpecForce Trooper and Havac like this.
  11. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    What's the timeline for these being published? Was "Power of the Jedi" released in the 90s shortly after TTT was completed, and was it before or after the copyright/licensing for the Han Solo novels was resolved between Valhalla and LucasFilm? I'd be very amused if they wrote Power of the Jedi after the debacle with the Han books.

Also, did "Imperial Blood" actually have anything to do with Star Wars or Daley's trilogy? If not, what kind of book is it? I assume that the three translated Daley novels were untouched. This is all very fascinating from both a copyright perspective and a Star Wars fandom perspective.

12. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Hi Golbolco

Here's the timeline that I worked out using various sources (The listed novels are only the fakes and related. For the full list of their Star Wars publications, go here. I am working on adding the dates, so in the meantime there's just the novel names):

1. Splinter of the Mind's Eye translation
    2. Han Solo at Stars' End translation
    3. Han Solo's Revenge translation
    4. Han Solo and the Lost Legacy translation
    5. Han Solo at Doomsday's Edge
    6. Han Solo's Gambit
    7. The Power of the Jedi
    8. Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters
    9. The War of Han Solo
    10. The Han Solo Adventures translation
    11. Imperial Blood
    12. Sensitive Farewell to the Empire
    13. The Imperial Fleet
    14. The Star Destroyers

The order probably isn't exact, but I used publication dates from Moly.hu, so it must be reasonably correct. According to my working out, The Power of the Jedi was published during the run of fake Han books, although I'm going to try and revise this list. I seem to think that TPOTJ was published after the fake Han books were discovered by Lucasfilm. This would conclude why they published the book under the publisher title of Brillant instead of Valhalla and why the book was supposedly written by "Malcolm Webster," which I'm assuming is another name of "Dale Avery." So, yes, I personally think they did publish the book after the whole debacle. While looking through Moly, I also saw that TPOTJ was published in 1992, which was quite soon after The Thrawn Trilogy. To answer your other question, no. Imperial Blood was simply just another marketing trick by Valhalla. They were publishing the Bantam books, but they decided that it would be better if they published some more fake novels, even though that's not what Lucasfilm wanted, plus the story was written by "Dale Avery," who had also written three Han Solo books alreayd. Imperial Blood is purely a sci-fi kung-fu story, although there is a mention of the Emperor at the start. If you download the Imperial Blood document (here) and upload it to this link, you'll get a rough translation of the book. Just search for "emperor" in the document and you'll see his name pop up a few times. It's a pretty similar story with the "second Brian Daley trilogy." They were simply reprints of one of Brian Daley's other series, The Adventures of Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh, but like Imperial Blood, Valhalla had simply thought that if they published a book (or series) with the Star Wars name, a Star Wars series name and a Star Wars author's name one the cover, they would do well. About the ACTUAL Daley trilogy that was translated; nobody's done a proper translation of the translations (or at least not that I know of), but we can safely assume that the only differences to the originals are the titles and the cover art. I will be very excited to see how Joe's translations turn out.

13. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Whoa. Okay. I was just looking through the net when I found this blog post. This is what I found:

"They said they did significantly better than Daley’s books, among other things, and I agree with them, especially that they really managed to capture the classic Star Wars vibe better, mainly because the authors weren’t bound by the rules given by LucasFilm."

Then there's this bit, which is about the seven Valhalla Han novels (Daley trilogy, "Fisher" novel and "Avery" trilogy):

"At that time, it was a good habit of Valhalla to use the paintings of Zoltán Boros and Gábor Szikszai on the covers of their volumes. Each of the seven Solo novels mentioned above could have said this about themselves. I note that these creations were also successful abroad, and one or two later also found a place in one of the official Star Wars card series."

If anybody knows anything about the cover art for the fakes making it's way into a card series I would really like to know. Anyway, after searching the net again, I found out that the cover artists of the Valhalla Hans also worked on OFFICIAL publications. These included Platt's Starport Guide (the cover image of Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters is the same as PSG because it was one of the cover artists' previous pieces), The Kathol Outback, The Clone Wars Campaign Guide, Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Rebellion Era Campaign Guide and Galaxy at War. I also found this image on the cover artists' website:

[​IMG]
    It's probably from one of the roleplaying pieces that they worked on, but who knows? Anyway, I'm still trying to dig out English synopsises of the fake books and the first book in the "second Brian Daley" trilogy. Hopefully I'll post them soon!

Sarge and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  14. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Alright, after briefly sampling some of Imperial Blood, I think it's quite entertaining. I'm a sucker for kung-fu/exploitation. If I'm understanding correctly, this is a completely original work, right? It's not translated like the later "second Daley trilogy?" I look forward to reading a clearer translation of Maia Dai and her sophisticated sixth sense, in the service of Emperor Marqus Ramraquor!

15. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Yep, you're right that it's completely original. The cover is just meant to look like it's been translated from a previous work. I wouldn't be surprised if the copyright section tried to say the same thing. Notify me if there's any mention of either Han Solo or a Romulan Warbird. ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  16. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    There's a ship called the N18 Falcon, piloted by a main character primarily called the Kid. Since Hungarian uses nongendered pronouns, I can't tell the Kid's gender without context. Based on the description, this Falcon is certainly the Millennium Falcon. Nothing on Warbirds, Romulans, or Han Solo by name. The Kid also has a Chewbacca-equivalent copilot who doesn't speak, but I don't think the copilot is described as nonhuman. Overall it uses some Star Wars ideas, but in the way of characters and settings it seems completely independent (other than being in a Galaxy far far away.) It could be, though, that some of the character/place names have been mangled in their translation and they might have more recognizable forms if someone went through and translated line-by-line.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Thanks for the extra info! I like the N18 Falcon. Cool idea. At least there's something good coming out of the fakeries. I might have a read of Imperial Blood myself, maybe even the "second Brian Daley trilogy."

18. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Okay, so this morning I added some of the Valhalla fakes to my Legends timeline. You can find the timeline here. I've added the "Ed Fisher" book, the "Dale Avery" trilogy and The Power of the Jedi. I also managed to dig out the synopsises of the fake Han books, translated by Tamás Rózsa. Here's his translation of Han Solo at Doomsday's Edge:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
    Dark forces are preparing to crush the rebellion against the Empire. They have developed a terrifying weapon on a distant world, one far more dangerous than the dreaded Death Star.
    The vicious Baron Tagge is ready to do anything to keep his secret. His spies have infiltrated the ranks of the rebels acting on the planet; they can't be sure who is friend, and who is enemy.
    And if that wasn't enough: enter the scene the one-time owners of the world, these peculiar aliens, and what's more, the unsuspecting duo of smugglers, Chewie and Han Solo as well...
    HAN SOLO'S NOMADS
    The contact(*) that shakes an entire world!
    *or connection, i'm not sure. It's kinda badly worded and cringy in hungarian too.

Here's Han Solo's Gambit:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
    There is no rest. In a corner of the opressive Galactic Empire a sinister ideology is awakening. It's followers demand their share of the Force, so that with time - beore long - they may share the Emperors power. They aren't above trying to exploit the uncrowned kings of smuggling, Han Solo and his wookie partner, to achieve their goals.
    However, these things come with unforseen dangers...
    HAN SOLO
    IMPERIAL AGENT
    First book in a new trilogy!
    (horribly worded in hungarian too, with actual typos :D )

Here's Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters:

A lomg time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
    The chase continues. An insurrection rears its head amindst the leaders of the Galactic Empire. The best bounty hunter in the universe, Darth Vader and the one-time apprentice of the Emperor take(*) the lead - there are whispers that he is now a real Dark Jedi.
    The unpleasant task to defeat him falls to Han Solo, Chewbacca and their companions - the stakes are higher than ever, and the game is nowhere near as simple as it seem at first sight...
    HAN SOLO
    AND THE BOUNTY HUNTERS
    The second book of a new trilogy!
    (* In the first paragraph I think the author meant to write something like "The best bounty hunter in the universe, and one-time apprentice of the Emperor, Darth Vader takes the lead..." but it basically doesn't make sense in hugarian either. Not grammaticaly nor starwarsically. When was Vader a bounty hunter or an ex-apprentice? Not sure who made this piece of art but it's pretty funny :D)

And finally, The War of Han Solo:

Some long time ago(*), in a galaxy far, far away...
    ... the time for the star wars(**) is coming. Han Solo the smuggler-turned-vigilante is languishing in Imperial captivity, however in the background a group of outlaws are already planning his rescue: Caspar the genius constructor, Scarpa, the ex-policeman and of course MOR, the self-aware droid.
    Another conflict is also nearing it's outcome: the fight beetween the bounty hunter who went through hell, Go Rien Moss and his cruel employers.
    Is an alliance possible beetween Solo and a lifeform with only a shred of humanity remaining...?
    HAN SOLO'S WAR
    The final book of a new trilogy!
    (*yes they actually managed to mess that up :D)
    (** sounds a bit stupid in english but not in hungarian)
    (If i didn't know better from the publishing date I'd say whoever "wrote" this took some second-rate fanfic and put it through Google translate :D)

I find these back pages quite funny, actually! Another thing I find funny is that the first blurb says that the weapon is more dangerous than the Death Star, but also mentions Baron Tagge, who died around the time that the Death Star was destroyed, right? (Unless my history's wrong, of course) I also had a quick look through the rough Google translation of Han Solo at Doomsday's Edge and saw that the one of the characters (presumably the woman on the front cover) is called Kirra. This sounds quite similar to Qi'Ra from the Han Solo movie....

Sarge likes this.
  19. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Just managed to find a PDF of the first book in the "second Brian Daley trilogy." Remember that this isn't a Star Wars story in any way, just Valhalla reprinting another sci-fi book under the Star Wars: Han Solo label. You can download the PDF (in Hungarian) here.

20. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Okay, found this article. It talks about the fake books and also Joe Bongiorno's translations. Note that this article says that The Power of the Jedi is also going to be translated. :D I also found this post on Joe's SWEUT Facebook page. He confirmed in the post that after he's translated the Han books, he'll be translating The Power of the Jedi. I just can't wait any longer!

Sarge likes this.
  21. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Baron Tagge might be a reference to Orman Tagge, brother of Cassio Tagge (the one that died on the Death Star.) If so, that's really interesting because Orman and the other Tagges were all comic book characters, not novel characters. Comic publishing is so niche that I doubt there's any information on the internet about Hungarian comics, but if there is I'd like to see if Marvel/someone else was publishing their books in Hungary around this time. Or perhaps there's original Hungarian Star Wars comics?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  22. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Okay, after skimming through a decent part of Doomsday's Edge, someone in Hungary was very much a Marvel fan. Not only do we have Orman Tagge as a major antagonist, but Valance the Hunter is present here too! There may yet be more references I haven't picked up on.

Also, I like the translation giving us "Grandmother Tarkin."

A couple of continuity issues exist here. It's set after Lost Legacy and prior to ANH and rumors of Tarkin building the Death Star may already be circulating, and Valance outright states that he once served aboard it. That being said, they are just rumors. What's more interesting is the mentions of the Utapau system and the "Emperor's Dark Knighthood, the Lords of the Sith." Clearly taking inspiration from early script elements.

The plot looks interesting and its service as a prequel to the Marvel comics is novel, although I think that if this had come out in America it would be regarded as yet another Darksaber or plot where the villains are building a superweapon. However, ignoring that it seems entertaining enough.

"What did you say, what's your name?" He then asked.
    "Rahinagharamaghoromalgahar," he whispered.

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    There are original Star Wars comics by Attila Fazekas. He published an original adaptation of both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Years later the Hungarian Star Wars Fan Club received approval from Lucasfilm for Fazekas to also release an adaptation of Return of the Jedi.

More information about these comics can be found at http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2016/06/retro-foreign-hungarian-star-wars.html and http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2018/03/retro-foreign-hungarian-birodalom.html. One of these days I will do a posting on the 2 issues of the Return of the Jedi adaptation. Also if you search for it, the entire Star Wars adaptation has been published on the Internet. The artwork is very nice.

There are no original stories however. Just the adaptations of the original trilogy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Darth Fandom and Golbolco like this.
  24. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    Thanks for the info, Gobalco. Grandmother Tarkin is quite hilarious. Luckily Han Solo at Doomsday's Edge is the first fake, so that will be the first translation he'll be posting. After hearing about references to the old Marvel comics, I think I might have a look through the rough translation myself. Just wanted to ask you, if Imperial Blood was a Star Wars story, where do you think it would be on the timeline? I'm making a Star Wars Legends timeline (the link's in one of the previous posts) and I'm trying to include a couple of Easter Eggs, like the "English editions" of the Valhalla books. Also thanks, rjrjr, I'll take a look at those comics. I do remember somebody talking about them on one of the Valhalla Han articles.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I heard about these, but you know if they aint truly official to an extent I don't really care for them.

Darth Fandom likes this.