main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hungarian Han Solo Novels in Translation!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Fandom, Apr 23, 2020.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Luckily i am german. But the german rebels Comics also got published in english in some i think it was australian Magazine for those still hunting for those.

Gesendet von meinem FP2 mit Tapatalk

2. Go Rien Moss

Go Rien Moss Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Almost all of the Rebels comics are available in English, except for issues 25-39 (to my knowledge, anyway. Joe sent me scans of the German versions awhile back). Any chance you could be convinced to translate them for us? ;)

Also, I was recently shown some French-language exclusive Resistance novels that adapt a few episodes from the first season of that series, which I promptly bought and will (eventually, hopefully!) get to as well.

3. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I am certain I saw english versions of all german Rebels comics in the australian magazine I mentioned. If I can find them I can let you know where to obtain them. Translation duty I of course would love to do, but that would have to be postponed till next year as pre-Christmas time is the busiest in my job (bookseller) and I have no time left for such duties this year.

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Go Rien Moss

Here is the relevant post from facebook StarWarsSourcebooks where Sander de Lange and other friends posted about the find:
    https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsSourcebooks

So yub they all have been published in english. #25-32 are in the 2018 lot of the Mag most likely. The later ones are all here as listed above.

Lets hope you can find the mags on ebay or via the publisher still!

Go Rien Moss and QuinlanSolo like this.
  5. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, and this actually makes me want to return to this place and expand on what my good friend ColeFardreamer (but to me he is always CeiranHarmony first and foremost) has said here.

Considering that the TCW comics have all had an US or UK publication, I have never checked if they exist in K-Zone, that Australian kids magazine that did a complete run of everything Rebels and Resistance! The magazines are smaller in size however then the original US/UK TCW ones or the original German publications that had them. However, K-Zone is the only way to ever read them in English.

Sadly that is the only good news. These magazines are no longer in print, and even when i found out about this, the stock of the publisher had been sold of most of these issues as well. The secondhand market also seems non-existent. However here is a complete list for you all to try and track down:

Rebels
    First 22 issues were published in the UK, but also in K-Zone. So the list starts with story 23.

Always Bet On Chop - March 2018
    The Second Chance - April 2018
    The Ballad Of 264 - May 2018
    The Line Of Duty - June 2018
    A Time To Survive - July 2018
    Too Late To Change - August 2018
    The Size Of The Fight - September 2018
    The Wrong Crowd - October 2018
    Off The Rails - November 2018
    To Thy Metal Heart Be True - December 2018
    Sons Of The Sky - January 2019
    Final Round - February 2019
    A Youth Unpromising - March 2019
    Fifth And Final - April 2019
    Never Far Behind - May 2019
    A Trooper’s Worth - September 2019
    Divide And Conquer - October 2019
    The Beast Within - November 2019
    Crossing The Line - December 2019

Resistance
    No longer original stories, but adaptations of episodes.

The Recruit, Part 1 - January 2020
    The Recruit, Part 2 - February 2020
    The Triple Dark - March 2020
    Fuel for the Fire - April 2020
    The High Tower - May 2020

And The High Tower was the last one, with no plans for them to return to the Panini-based German comics.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  6. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    Wow, thank you for your detective work! Based on what @Exar_Xan has found, that leads to kind of a sticky situation; fan translations from the original German might be the only way to make the comics readable for English speakers without even used copies readily available for purchase, but LF might object given that official translations *do* exist. I might sit on these comics for awhile and see what happens.

7. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Official translations even existed before that mag published them given they were originally written in english and translated for german publication!

But yub, fantranslations are a tricky thing. Like the sites doing those for the japanese mangas ahead of the english versions publication already.

In general I am curious about the legal situation of hosting LOSTWORLDS in general like Joe does. F.e. would no longer online stuff like Wizards of the Coast website articles be considered lostworlds by now? Archive.org has much no longer online sw websites archives. Even old starwars com stuff. Or can only unpublished stuff be hosted and not "no longer online" stuff, or what about West End Games rpg stuff that is hosted by some fans and only exists as used copy on sale online? The legality of hosting books no longer on sale puzzles me, but that may be me coming from a german point of view about this.

I archived plenty of lost web content myself and would love to host some but am afraid to do so due to the legal issues, especially as worldwide regulations differ quite a lot.

8. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    I have them all scanned, ready and waiting...but would sadly be unable to share them in any public place due to these legal ramifications ...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    @ColeFardreamer money is the biggest factor, at least from an American legal standpoint (naturally). Joe’s stance is he will host material that is out of print until LF decides to begin re-printing them, as with some of the WEG sourcebooks, and unpublished material until they decide to publish it, which almost never happens. A good example is the unpublished novel The Heart of the Jedi- Joe and the book’s author Kenneth Flint reviewed Mr. Flint’s contract with LF, and since the book was canceled, the contractural obligations were unfulfilled and the story is not owned by LF or covered under copyright. My understanding is at that point it essentially becomes officially-commissioned fanfiction, though I’m not a lawyer by any means [face_laugh]

LF’s position can be described with a simple question: does sharing of the material by fans potentially take away from LF’s bottom-line profit? For online Hyperspace articles that no longer exist and obscure, long out-of-print material, neither of which they are profiting from, the answer is no, and they are unlikely to object in practice. I would suggest reaching out to Joe on Facebook, he has years of experience navigating these sorts of legalities through his work in the publishing industry, and would be happen to host anything you’re willing to share that’s “safe” ;) The same goes for @Exar_Xan; Joe would be interested in the Rebels comics, although probably not the Resistance ones since they aren’t “EU-compatible.”

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Go Rien Moss See, the problem is most people only worry about US laws when hosting such material. What about Europe? I got my own website and laws are different here, very much so. Even if LFL might not care, subsidiaries that distributed their stuff here might still sue due to holding the rights even if not making use of them for republishing. I myself work as bookseller and in publishing and know a lot of the stuff still got open questions about the legality of hosting such material internationally. Here f.e. it matters not if it is no longer "on sale" but if you got the rights to the material which you do not and which only becomes freely availeable after a 50-70 year period after the death of the original rights holder if he/she did not distribute or inherit the rights to new rights holders before/with his/her death. And even if the rights holder does not sue you, other lawyers might on the grounds of sharing what you do not own the rights for. Law is messy like that.

Also, what about stuff that is out of print in one country only but not in another? If said comics are still in print in germany including backissues of the german comics mag, what about sharing/hosting the english content then legally? The internet is a place where all nations look for it, not just english speaking ones.

Therefore I'd be careful, even if LFL is nice to not sue, it does not make hosting legal, merely tolerated.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Also it depends on where your server is. For example, our host is in the US so our site is subject to US laws (such as child protection. That's why you have to be at least 13 to register here). Even if you are using 'the cloud' it's on a server somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    That solves only part of the problem. Accessibility worldwide makes it subject to not only US laws though. As the cookie and privacy laws of the European Union proved and forced worldwide webhots to adapt or fear getting blocked in Europe if not complying. Further laws are in development to even more change the internet landscape via european laws. Even US based social media or app companies have to deal with european laws and courts regardless of server location.

While I see that a server in a region where stuff is more lax or legal would help, it is no guarantee and even if lawyers shy away from international border crossing lawsuits it does happen. I am no IT or law expert but I know that other matters are resolved by f.e. european courts despite having happened on US servers based on where the uploader lived, not where the server stood.

That's why I think the simple server placement dictates law applying is no longer as true as it once may have been 10 years ago.

13. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    @ColeFardreamer I realized I made a typo in my last post that may have confused my meaning somewhat. I meant to say “Joe would be *happy* to host anything you’re willing to share that’s ‘safe.’” He and his server are based in the US (the latter running from his own home I believe), so the matter of hosting overseas is not an issue. He’s never had issues with European courts coming after him for the obscure material available on his website, which, frankly, is fairly obscure in and of itself. Not to mention that he does seek permission from LF when copyright issues may apply, as we did with the Hungarian novels. If you *are* interested in sharing outdated content or the like that you’ve saved, The Expanded Universe Timeline would be a good platform because Joe understands the legalities and would assume responsibility for anything you share with him. Just a suggestion, though that’s ultimately your choice. I’m not interested in getting deep into a discussion on international copyright because I know next to nothing about it [face_laugh]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    You know more then I do @Go Rien Moss and this is all very interesting to read. I have contacted Joe (over Facebook) to see if he thinks it is safe or not to share those Rebels comics.

Go Rien Moss likes this.
  15. Darth Fandom

Darth Fandom Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2019
    Looks like your wishes have come true! Joe posted this and this yesterday.

ColeFardreamer and Go Rien Moss like this.
  16. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    I wonder how that happened :p

Go Rien Moss and Darth Fandom like this.
  17. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    This is where the fun begins.

We now have a new Chinese-exclusive High Republic ebook, The Vow of Silver Dawn! The novel, which takes place in approximately 82 BBY, is being released in chapters online for free, and since LF have said they have no plans to translate it to English due to “cultural differences,” I decided to have a go at it. Here is the original text, and the translated first chapter.

https://m.qidian.com/book/101595021...dfHpLaFtgrkitjFssqyxv8GkPT_WpCLhzAbYRCxPZtR3U

18. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    I think Joe would be really interested in these. Maybe somebody should send these on to him. Mind if I ask, how's the translation going if the Han books?

Go Rien Moss likes this.
  19. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    I now have a full raw of Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters thanks to my co-translator Jake, although I’ve admittedly gotten behind on Han Solo’s Nomads as I add more and more books to be translated. However, since it might be several months yet before it’s done being edited and reviewed, I’ve decided to share a PDF of the full, unformatted “first draft” of Han Solo: The Imperial Agent here as an early Life Day present, as thanks to everyone for all of your patience in the past year.

20. elRevanchist

elRevanchist Jedi Padawan

Aug 4, 2020
    Any updates on the Hungarian Solo novels? Or on the covers? I thought I remembered someone saying that you guys were going to contact the artist to try to get the original image to make English covers. But I can't remember if someone actually said it or if I'm fantasizing. haha

21. Darth Fandom

Oct 14, 2019
    I posted this sometime back, but you'll have to check Joe's Facebook page, as it may have just been me fantasizing:

22. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    I haven’t heard from Szikszai since October, when he was going to check with Zoltan Boros on usage of the cover art since they shared co-credits between them. He seemed reluctant in our last convo, possibly because we can’t pay him for the art, possibly because he’s concerned about any potential legal issues following his experience in Hungary (I assured him that LF don’t care about the translations per their communication with Joe, but c’est la vie). I haven’t wanted to bug him since he’s surely got more important things going on, so the alternative is finding someone proficient with photo manipulation to edit out the Hungarian text from the covers and replace it with English.

As for the translations themselves, Nomads and the Bounty Hunters are still underway! Life has gotten in the way and slowed down my progress lately, but I’ve shifted gears from translating anything else until Nomads is finished (even though I’ve recently found some German-exclusive books I really want to get into). Once Joe is finished with Supernatural Encounters and can fully focus on editing, I’ll try to pick up the pace so he can “officially” release Nomads first.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

The Heyne Mini Books?

Go Rien Moss likes this.
  24. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    The very same! Joe may have a German-speaker lined up to translate those, as someone is currently working on the German-exclusive Ewoks comics for him.

25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Wait, there were original Ewok stories that only appeared in Germany? Any more info on that?

QuinlanSolo likes this.