main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hungarian Han Solo Novels in Translation!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Fandom, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Go Rien Moss

Go Rien Moss Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Not really, honestly. The character in question has a specific backstory that doesn’t gel with Starkiller’s at all, and I’m not looking to alter the stories much beyond simple things like correcting dates and some trivial facts (such as Han attending an Imperial academy on Carida, not Corellia). My goal is to keep the books as close to what readers would have found in a Hungarian bookstore in 1992 as possible.

2. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    I don’t remember if it was mentioned earlier in the thread but are there any plans to translate A Jedi Hatalma once the Han Solo books are done?

3. Sam Ford

Sam Ford Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2021
    That's cool, I was just asking. I wasn't looking for alterations, so much as I was wondering how they fit in the EU. That's all. I am super excited to read them.

4. Darth Fandom

Darth Fandom Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2019
    Lol, I made a mistake in the original posts; I thpught it was the other way around.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    This image from Topps card art reminded me of the hungarian Solo books. Maybe useable as cover or backcover or variant? Too rare and beautiful to let it be forgotten. Besides... Sexy headband armored Chewie, come on!!! [​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Is there any connection between the artists? The resemblance is uncanny!

7. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    I plan on it! Though I’m not terribly excited about the translation process, because the text is intentionally poorly-written to make it seem as if the book had been translated from English.

Same artists! This is from the cover of Han Solo küldetése (literally Han Solo’s Mission), the Hungarian translation of Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. Personally, I wouldn’t make an alternate cover using this artwork to avoid confusion over how many exclusively-Hungarian novels there are, though Chewie’s Rambo headband deserves more recognition.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  8. Bodo Baas

Bodo Baas Jedi Padawan

Jun 8, 2020
    I finally have the Spanish version of The Dark Side. I'm still working in a photo-scan. Quality is not great, but that's the best I can manage. OCR seem to be working OK with a little manual correction.

I'm currently halfway into the book, it should be finished in about a week.

Once I'm done I will join all parts in a single file, make a cleaner epub version, and a pdf version based on that.
    I could try to help re-translate it into English later (although English is not my mother tongue, and I have more experience translating the other way around, from English into Spanish), so maybe you, or someone else, can start translating while I photo-scan the rest of the book.

EDIT: Removed link, you're right, I should not post piracy here.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  9. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    @Go Rien Moss sent me a copy of The Dark Side, though real life has kept me busy so I'm not as far along as I'd like to be. XD

Go Rien Moss likes this.
  10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Thx for considering a fan-translation, but please do not share full original foreign versions of the book here which is still on sale and thus piracy. A fan-translation though is welcome!

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

11. Bodo Baas

Bodo Baas Jedi Padawan

Jun 8, 2020
    OK, no piracy.

Once I'm done scanning the book and compile a clean digital version it should be easier to pass it through Google translate. Maybe a native English speaker proofreader could be usefull. I'll keep you posted.

12. Bodo Baas

Bodo Baas Jedi Padawan

Jun 8, 2020
    Ok, here is my English version of The Dark side.
    Some pics are not of the best quality, but I am happy with the overall quality of the epub that I managed to compile.
    Translation may still need a little polish. As I mentioned, I'm not a native English speaker, but I think I managed to fix all phrases where Google translate messed up.

https://mega.nz/file/QE8wwZIQ#iXuuGEIth2oVqYodvR5cmwi-6gki8sGePuJU3tHyo6Q

13. Sam Ford

Sam Ford Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2021
    I'm done with Imperial Blood. Does anyone want to be a proof reader and help me clean it up?

14. pellaeon01

pellaeon01 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    Awesome!

I can give it a look-over for you if you'd like, send me a pm.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Sam Ford likes this.
  15. elRevanchist

elRevanchist Jedi Padawan

Aug 4, 2020
    I can give it a proof read too if you'd like!

Sam Ford likes this.
  16. elRevanchist

Aug 4, 2020
    So, nothings been posted in a while. Any updates on the Han Solo books? How's the translations going?

iFrankenstein likes this.
  17. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    Honestly the translations haven’t been going much in the past few months, my wife and I had our first baby in August so childcare has taken up most of my free time since then. But since it’s November, I intend to use National Novel Writing Month as an excuse to get back to work on Han Solo’s Nomads.

18. Sam Ford

Sam Ford Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2021
    Congrats!

Go Rien Moss likes this.
  19. Sam Ford

Sam Ford Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2021
    Golbolco likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  21. Sam Ford

Sam Ford Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2021
    Lol we pasted the same link. :cool:

22. elRevanchist

Aug 4, 2020
    Any updates on the translations of the Han Solo books? I haven't heard anything in over a year. Any news?

iFrankenstein likes this.
  23. Go Rien Moss

Apr 24, 2020
    Nope. I’m alive and still plugging away at them, but due to my slow progress there isn’t much point in regular updates right now. Rest assured they will be finished someday, if for no other reason than I would love to have them on my shelf, but personal priorities are my main consideration.

24. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Was this cliffhanger ever resolved?

25. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Question for those familiar with the Han Solo books: are these written as direct sequels to the Brian Daley novels, with references to events in those stories, or is their placement on the timeline of Han’s life more nebulous and open-ended than that?

QuinlanSolo and Sarge like this.