main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Saga - Legends Hunting is the Most Dangerous Game [SW Fanfic Decathalon]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira Grau, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
  2. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    1. Hunting for Heretics
    AU Archery: A story of at least 100 words set in an alternate universe with your character, family, friendship, or couple.

Lord Inquisitor Tarkin prepares to interogate a traiterous governors daughter and to pass the emperor´s judgment upon her world, just another day in the 41 millenium...
    Thanks to @Adalia-Durron for the beta. :)

The world outside the large panorama window was a beautiful pearl of blue and green, its skies not polluted by the waste of factories and manofactorums, its fields and rich landscapes not riddled by war and destruction. It was a picture of peace, of prosperity, of safety. A loyal, hardworking and productive world of the Imperium of Man, or so it seemed.

In his long life Lord Inquisitor Wilhuff Tarkin had learned that heresy was almost never found on a first glance, instead lying dormant beneath the surface, hidden from view but there at all times, growing with every day until it eventually came to the surface in rebellion and worship of dark gods and demons.

He turned around from the window and towards his retinue, eyeing each of them for a brief moment.

First his gaze fell on Sergeant Ethan Malek, the genetically enhanced Space Marine towering above everyone else in the room in massive armor. Even with his high build for a human Tarkin only reached to the chest of the Astartes. As Tarkin was operating in the same Sector as them the Black Sabers chapter had assigned the scarred Veteran as a permanent liaison to the Lord Inquisitor. Having proven himself useful in both battle and outside of it, Ethan had quickly dispersed Tarkins initial doubts about this assignment, even if the Space Marine's sense of honor had more than once clashed with the grim necessities of Tarkins position.

Next to Ethan, half hidden in the shadows the slender athletic build of the assassin they all only knew as Tanja, couldn't have been a greater contrast to the massive Astartes next to her. Being a member of the Callidus Temple she was specialized at killing the foe's of the Emperor silently and up close, slicing of heads or stabbing through hearts without a sound. As quiet as she was at her work Tanja was in her life, rarely uttering even a word to anyone. Just a quick nod when Tarkin gave her an assignment, that was all.

On the other side of the room stood, in the bright light of the candles that filled the bridge, Rear Admiral Daala of the Imperial Navy and Commander of the Ships assigned to the Inquisitors fleet. The attractive redhead stood utterly straight in her flawlessly fitting blue and white uniform, her face a mask of stoicism that hid the passion and anger Tarkin had often noticed on it on other occasions.

These three formed his inner circle and Tarkin trusted each of them as far as an Inquisitor was able to trust anyone.

"Bring her in," he ordered and the two soldiers at the huge metal door opposed to the panorama window nodded and followed the order. Through the now open gothic metal door two soldiers lead a young woman. She might have been considered attractive once but weeks of interrogation and captivity had turned her look gaunt and thin, her white dress hanging from her shoulders.

Yet despite all this Leah Organa still held her head up high and the gaze with which she met the Inquisitor and his retinue was defiant and unafraid. She even managed the mockery of a polite smile as she stood before Tarkin. "Lord Inquisitor," she said after eyeing the stylized 'I' on Tarkins chest for a second. "I should have known that you are the one holding the leash here, should have noticed your orders hand at play when they brought me here."

"Charming to the last," Tarkin said, returning the fake smile. "You wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to sign the order to burn you at the stake."

"I'm surprised you brought up the courage for it yourself."

Tarkin turned away from her, no longer willing to continue with this pointless back and forth. "Before you die screaming I want to invite you to be my guest at a ceremony to showcase the Emperors judgment upon this sector, in a twist of fate you have chosen the planet I sanctioned for the Exterminatus yourself..."

With a gesture he stepped aside and let the young woman take a closer look at the world outside the panorama window. It was of great pleasure to him to see her smug grin whipped of her face in an instant, now panic filling it.

"No! It is a loyal world, they are good people, we are no traitors!"

"No?" Tarkin said getting louder as well. "We know full well what you really are, but if you cooperate, if you admit it I will have mercy upon your homeworld." He took a step closer forcing the Governors daughter to take a step back against the massive frame of Ethan's armor. He saw the conflict in his enemies mind, but he knew he had won.

"Yes," she admitted. "We have been conspiring, meeting with... envoys. But please, my family is on that world!"

"These envoys, where are they hiding? Where is their base?" Tarkin demanded, ignoring the desperate pleas. Again it took a moment, but then the young woman finally broke.

"On Dathonius, they are on Dathonius IV." Tarkin smile grew a bit.

"See?" He turned towards his retinue, she can be reasonable if she wants to."

Then, inclining his head towards Daala, "ready the virus bombs."

"What?" Leah yelled. "You can´t do that! You promised!"

"A promise to a traitor is worth nothing in the eyes of the emperor, your family made their choice, no they will receive the emperors justice." He saw fear, anger and rage in the eyes of the young woman who began struggling against her handcuffs.

"Inquisitor with all respect, is Exterminatus truly the only solution? What about the civilians on that world? There is a good chance the majority of them isn´t tainted yet. Maybe we should instead opt for a surgical strike against her family?"

Tarkin shook his head in frustration, this space marine and his dammed honor!

"Sergeant Malek, if the ruling family has been corrupted the taint has already spread everywhere over the planet, even if we kill all cultist we find other will escape, flee into the shadows, spread the taint again once our backs are turned, threaten the whole sector. If I don't kill these two billion souls now, then in a hundred years they might cause a war that will kill a hundred times more. To ensure the safety of the empire, no sacrifice is too great."

"Acknowledged," the marine said but Tarkin noticed how uncomfortable he was with the entire situation.

"You may fire when ready," Tarkin ordered Daala, then turned around to see the emperors justice be done.

He saw how the bombs began raining down on the planet's surface, bombs carrying the life eater virus that would soon destroy all organic life on the green world.

"No!" he heard Leah´s scream behind him but for the moment he didn't pay her any more attention, she would soon find her end tied to a stake, fire ending her treacherous existence.

But then he noticed it, how first subtle, then more and more clear her ranting and shouting turned into... laughter and there was something else, a deeper voice, a demonic voice.

Turning around and reaching for his pistol Tarkin saw the ultimate proof that his accusations had been nothing but true. In the middle of the room, kneeling on the floor Leah's body had begun to change, her bones grew, changed their structure, her skin began to take various colors, as numerous blisters and spikes broke through it. When the Lord Inquisitor looked into her face he saw her eyes had turned black and lifeless while her still laughing mouth had become larger, revealing several rows of hooked, spiked teeth. The remains of her white dress fell off her growing mutating body as the stuncuffs broke under her now much thicker arms that ended in large and razor-sharp claws.

A Chaos Spawn, the ultimate fate of all but the strongest who followed the dark path. As an Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus Tarkin had fought beasts like this before, but never on his own bridge.

And so he opened fire with his plasma pistol at the monster in front of him, while Daala had taken cover behind one of the pillars and shoot with her own sidearm. Tarkin saw how one of the guards was pierced by a large spike that had grown out of Leah's back while the other was nearly cut in half by her claws.

Then Ethan slammed into the monster his power sword pulsing with energy as it cut through mutated flesh and bone. Soon their enemies body was covered with wounds but that didn't slow her down a bit, slamming her claws into Ethan's armor but the power armor was much stronger than the light protections the guards hard worn and thus withstood the attacks. Ethan had played his part well, the wounds he had caused had been only superficial, but he had distracted the monster long enough....

From the ceiling a fast and slender shadow jumped down upon the beast. Leah's laughter turned into a inhumane scream of pain as Tanja's blade pieced her skull from top to bottom, finally bringing an end to the traitorous noble.

When the chaos spawn finally lie motionless in front of them and more guards had arrived on the scene Tarkin finally allowed himself to relax a bit.

"Do you now see I had no other choice?" he asked Ethan harshly. The Marine looked away, not giving an answer but Tarkin felt he had brought his point across.

"Burn this piece of demon spawn before it taints our ship." Tarkin ordered the soldiers.

Then he turned back to retinue. "Our path is now clear, we will see if we can find her demon worshipping friends on Dathonius IV, but if she lied to us, which I suspect she has we will hunt them down to the last star. No traitors can hide from the emperors justice forever!"

With these words the Inquisitors retinue once again turned towards the panorama window watching as the Death of Stars slowly left the new now bleak and death world behind them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Scary ending! Well done!! Look forward to more.

and please don't thank me for anything, if I miss something I look stupid! :p LOL

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great story with a deathly end

Jedi Knight Fett, Kahara and Anedon like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating AU!!! =D= How the personalities remain recognizable and even the fate of the "innocent" world, but the weaponry is different and "Leah" as well. :eek:

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  6. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, glad you like it. :)

Yeah the end has a bit of a twist to it. ;)

Exactly. :) This is what made putting the scene into the 40k setting so intresting to me, that it kind of goes the same, until the end...

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    2. Hunting the Rebellion
    Single Sentence Shot Put: A story told in a single sentence about your character, family, friendship or couple.

Alderaan was weak, bright and lush, its people had never experienced hardship or suffering, until today when he would show these rebels the true price of their actions, "you may fire when ready."

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    SO COLD, and the emotion was all there! Nice!!

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo on capturing his ruthlessness and mindset =D=

10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
  11. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    3. Hunting for Love
    4x100 Relay: 4x100 words on the four types of love (affection, intimacy, friendship, and charity) as experienced by your character, family, friendship or couple in one post.

Charity

"You've been very charitable to me in the last months sir. May I inquire what I did to earn this?" Daala asked him. Tarkin smiled, "you've got talent Commander, you are where you are because you earned it." "You seem to be the only Imperial Commander who sees it that way, before you found me I was stuck in the kitchen of a Star Destroyer." He became serious, "the Elites of the Empire believe that women have no place in military or political leadership. But different from them I'm no idiot, and thus able to recognize talent where they can't."

Friendship

"And so we caught the pirates right then and there, you should have seen their faces," Daala said with a giggle. "It seems you're truly suited for your new rank, Captain Daala." Tarkin said, he found himself spending more and more time with her, there was something growing between them, a bond he hadn't felt anymore since Ethan had... he shook his head to drive away the memory of his former protégé. "Thanks, Sir, you honor me." Daala replied. "I'm just honoring the Empire, and those working for it to have a better future. And again please call me Wilhuff."

Intimacy

Tarkin had never felt such passion before. Forced to marry for politics there had never been love between him and his wife and when they had slept together it had been cold, impersonal affairs, a chore instead of pleasure. With Daala things were different, she was younger but that wasn't what drew him to her, it was her fire, her passion and determination, traits she exhibited both on the battlefield as well as in their privacy. On Eriadu it was considered improper for a noble to have a mistress but in his eyes Daala was so much more than that.

Affection

"Admiral!" "Governor!" After the military greeting the two hugged each other. "Missed you," Daala whispered. "Me too," he responded and it was true. During her absence Tarkin had realized that she meant more to him than anyone else ever had, more than a protégé, more than a lover. She was the one he wanted at his side for the rest of his life. "Do you want to come with me to Eriadu during our weeks of duty this year?" he asked. He wanted to go hunting with her, let her see what had made him who he was. "Yes, Wilhuff."

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Love the private side we never really saw, good stuff. [face_love]

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent as we see the private sides that NO ONE else even knew existed. [face_laugh] =D=

Kahara, Adalia-Durron and Anedon like this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to show that Tarkin had other feelings
    And with Daala

15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    :eek::eek::eek: Wow! Was not expecting that! This is a terrific AU; you set it up as subtly different from the GFFA we know (the Imperium, Leah Organa, Dathonius IV) and it's intriguing. And then--bam!--Leah turns into a Chaos Spawn
    I'm still sorting through all the implications of this--if Leah is Dark in this universe, are Tarkin and the Imperium the good guys? And if they are, why does he wipe out an entire planet with a bioweapon? If Tarkin is an Inquisitor, does that mean he's Force-sensitive here? So many questions--I'll be interested to see where you take this AU in the course of the decathlon!

Your 4x100 gives an interesting look at the private Tarkin and his relationship with Daala

Great job!

16. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah we kinda hear about their relationship, but never get any details, Daala is clearly upset about Tarkins death so I suspect they did care for each other and it was more than just a brief affair.

Well even Tarkin got his secrets I guess. ;) Thanks for your comment.

This is actually one of the things that really makes Tarkin intresting to me, that he was able to care for other people, that he wasn´t just 100 percent born evil like Palpatine. Makes Tarkins cruelties arguably even more terrifying.

That was the idea, 40k is close enough to SW, at least in some of its elements that I could build a somewhat similiar scene, at least until that twist, cause in 40k the rebels are often not much better, if not worse than the Imperium. ;)

Well 40k is a bit different in that there aren´t really any good guys, its a pretty dark universe, every faction does morally questionable to outright evil things on a regular basis in the name of survival. Tough there quite a lot of decent people in most of the factions, people who like Ethan in this scene clearly object to what is going on. As for Tarkin, the Imperium of Man tend to be protagonists most of the time, being the main human nation hailing from Earth, which they now call (Holy) Terra. Within them Inquistion is genenerally one of the more evil/brutal factions and several other groups in the Imperium are disgusted by their actions.

The Iquistion claims it is to detain the threat of chaos, which is a bit like the dark side but with a major deviation, once someone is tainted they can not be saved. The taint will effect both their body and mind and in the end its impossible to resist forever. Also as a warning to other worlds not to dabble with the darkness.

The 40k equivalent to force sensetive people are called Psykers. Some Inquistors are actually psykers in the lore but not all of them. Given that Tarkin isn´t force sensetive I guess his counterpart wouldn´t be a psyker either.

If you are generally more intrested in the setting I could recommend the youtube channel Tactica Imperialis who covers a wide variety of topics.
    As for the AU a bit on the fence currently if I want to place another part of the Decathlon in it, the two above are arguably so broad they could exsist in both I guess. :)

Glad you liked the peek at their relationship, defenetly has a lot of potential.
    Thanks for commenting, hope I could clear up your questions. :)

17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I love the cross-over universe although I have to admit that my only knowledge of 40K comes from Hubby who loves Space Marines. It doesn't matter though, the attributes of this galaxy come through loud and clear and make for a really entrancing read. I loved the first one for the twist and the fact that even when you are, essentially, Lawful Evil the way things work can always fit into your narrative. Also the last one for the way the love grows through the story, although I get the feeling that it's going to bite Tarkin eventually....

18. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016

Glad it works for you as someone who knows the 40k universe a bit. :)

It might, eventually. ;)

Kahara likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    4. Hunting for Closure
    110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, family, friendship or couple aren’t mentioned.

"I still dream of him now and then, it just won´t leave me alone. Brings back all the emotions, the guilt."

"You turned away from him, you became a hero for the rebellion, saved countless lives you have nothing to feel guilty about anymore."

"You are right, and yet... he was like a father to me once. Do you... do you think he was always like that? Or was he a decent person once?"

"Maybe he was, maybe at one point he truly cared for you. But he made his choice. He chose darkness where you chose light. You need to let this go."

"I know, hope I can someday."

5. Hunting for Weakness
    200 Freestyle: A 200 word story about your character, family, friendship or couple with a free choice of any theme.

"He did what?" Tarkin couldn't believe it.

"Colonel Malek has applied for a reassignment," the droid responded.

"But why?" Ethan had been like a son to him, a son to replace the one he had lost.

He had been Tarkin's top pupil, a rising star in the Imperial hierarchy.

Why was he asking for reassignment? Without even consulting him?

"The reason he gives is being uncomfortable with the burden of command in his higher rank." Tarkin's confusion grew, Ethan had held higher ranks before in the ORSF and nothing had ever indicated that he was uncomfortable with them.

Yes during their recent campaign to suppress rebellions in the Outer Rim Ethan had shown himself uncomfortable with their methods, but... No, something else must have happened. Tarkin looked up, Ethan had been to Eriadu recently on his week off duty and if he had been there.

"Her again," he muttered. So Ethan was still seeing his girl. Tarkin shook his head, he had believed that his protégé had left those weaknesses behind. But once again he was disappointed.

"Shall I deny the Colonel's request?" The droid inquired.

"No," Tarkin said coldly. "Let him leave, I have no use for him anymore."

Kahara likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent conversation in the Hurdle, and the Freestyle, Tarkin is able to dismiss his protégé with relative ease, as Ethan makes a choice of loyalties. =D=

21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think Tarkins and Ethan´s relationship has been kind of failing for a while by that point but this really is the final nail in the coffin.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    6. Hunting for Destiny
    100 Word Sprint: A 100 word drabble about your character, family, friendship or couple using any theme.

Tarkin allowed himself a smile as the little green moon was finally within reach. Finally the rebellion would come to an end, and he would reach the next step on his long way. Soon enough he knew he would reach his goal, Daala, Zaarin, and his other conspirators where ready and against the power of this station even the Emperor was helpless. Soon the galaxy would be his, well theirs. Maybe Daala could give him another son, one without the weaknesses of the two he had lost. A son raised by two strong parents to one day rule the galaxy.

7. Hunting for Victory
    Fantastical Fencing: A story of at least a 100 words involving your character, family, friendship or couple in which something fantastical happens.

"We've analyzed their attack, Sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?"
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!" Tarkin could only shake his head. The Death Star was indestructible, there was no chance the few pathetic fighters of the Rebellion could make a difference. Even the thought was absurd, fantastical. When they were finally within reach there was only one thing left. "You may fire when ready," he ordered as the feeling of triumph overcame him. The explosion obliterated him before he was even able to realize what happened.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Adalia-Durron and Kahara like this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hunt ing for Destiny -- superb, showing his ambitions and plans. Hunting for Victory -- terrific, showing how triumph is literally snatched out of his grasp. =D=

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Again great hunting, showing Tarkin and his relations in great detail

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah that´s kind of the idea, the ambition, the sure win and then its all gone. ;)

Thanks, glad you like it.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.