main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace Membership

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Why do you guys have two memberships? Can't you just share the magainze or did you both subscribe before you got married?

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    If you log into Hyperspace you should be able to see your expiration date in your settings under the renew bit. Mine doesn't expire until Nov'07 so I got a while yet.

I'm curious to find out what the new memberships packs will be like.

Glad to see Titan take over, the UK mag was good.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Grumpy, my wife and I both have a Hyperspace membership so we can get two copies of Insider magazine. One copy we read, and the other copy we store away in archical-safe bags in our SW collection.

4. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I will never again sign up for Hyperspace.

Way back in Summer of 2004 I signed up for Hyperspace. I got the welcome kit, but never got the magazine. I spent the next few months trying to get it straighted out. Then I moved to Texas, and still no magazine despite CONFIRMING with the shipping dept. that my new address was correct. They were shipping it to a PO Box that I never ever signed for and then claimed that my subscription had actually expired in 2004! After calling several times, I finally got thru to someone who was very nice, and very apologetic, and made sure everything was taken care of, including adding a year to my subscription for my trouble (very nice of him).

Then I made the mistake of signing the wife up so she could get the supposed CIII benefits.

Her magazines stopped coming about two months after CIII (halfway thru her subscription), and as for me, I just let it lapse. Funny tho, I still have full online Hyperspace access despite not being a member in over a year and a half. It's just not worth it. I go to the store, see the new mag, and half the time its a waste of paper.

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    They'll be under new management soon so maybe that stuff will get straightened out. You're right though. I can't think of more inadequate subscription service then Hyperspace the way it is now.

6. The_Sith_Hunter

The_Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I have the online part and no magazine either. I've pretty much given up, but will sign up again for it once the new publisher takes over. I'm done dealing with the current one...

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Let's all wait and see how Titan handles the publishing of Insider magazine. From what I've read about them since this announcement was made, they seem to be a very well-established company with a great reputation.

Hopefully a new company taking over the reigns will solve the many issues fans are having or had in the past.

8. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I bought a membership for CIII too. It was completely worthless. I got three issues of the magazine. Moreover, at CIII, you didn't even need those friends and family passes as everything was so unorganized that anyone could get in early. I did however buy the subscription for CIV just so I could go on Thursday.

If you are not planning on going to CIV on Thursday, then dont waste your $40 bucks to get about 3 issues (if you're lucky) of a magazine.

9. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    No need to call purchasing a Hyperspace membership for $40 a "waste". Some people (like myself and my wife) absolutely love what it has to offer and have never had any problems receiving Insider magazine since 2003. Other people have experienced some problems, which hopefully they took the necessary steps to resolve.

If you're not happy with the Hyperspace FC, then simply do not subscribe. But don't generalize and call it a waste.

10. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    It's just an opinion, dude. Some people think it's a waste and they're free to say so. Others like yourself are free to have multiple memberships so they get a copy to archive. I think there are enough people displeased with how the magazine has been handled to warrent the discussion. Personally I like what's IN the magazine, but the company that ran it sucked. And I've always had a problem with the membership kit. It's junk.. but then again, that's just my opinion.

11. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I agree and have stated this numerous times. My displeasure with the hyperspace fan club is ongoing. I agree that it is a waste. I got freaking coupons in the mail from them. A cappy poster and a membership card. Now if I was 7, a membership card would be cool, but being a 32 year old adult, no, it really isn't worth the $40.00. Or the $40.00 they overcharged me. Or the other $40.00 they overcharged me. I did get into those webstrips fopr a while, but you figure lucas is worth more than Mickey Mouse....he couldn't put the webstrips up for free?

I can honestly say that after CIV, I am pretty much done with Star Wars events like this. No fanclub, no parades, no celebrations, no autograph signings. No official pix, no Master Replicas, no hasbros, repainted & repackaged figures. No more DVD's becasue no it has a CG Yoda. No more anything. I have my massive collection. I have everythign I need including all 6 movies 4 times over. I'm done.

Focker out!

12. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Wow, they just posted more exciting news about being a fan club member. Apparently, we get a whole da yo ourselves. that's right everyone. Thursday is all for fans. Not the general public. we get to look at the exhibit hall first. We get to obtain our autographs first. We get to go to the store. first. WOW! This is an amazing announcement.

I ALREADY KNEW THIS 8 MONTHS AGO YOU TOOLS!

Please stop wasting our time with information we already know.
    "Exciting news for all. Celebration IV will be held in a building. It will be indoors. Stay tuned for more exciting news."

13. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    More coffee, Pwink? :p

I would like to think that this succession of generic announcements is now actually building to the more detailed stuff we are waiting for. There is just over three months to go...either they are super-organized (as opposed to C3) or they are having problems. I'd like to think it is the former.

14. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, Jedi Justin... it was a waste. 3 issues of a magazine for $40.00. On what planet is that a good deal? You sound like one of those fans who are afraid to complain in fear that King George will get angry and stop having cons and other fan related events.

Plus, there was no benefit actually received at C3 from Hyperspace. Anyone who was in line at 9:00 am was able to get in, regardless of those stupid friendsand family passes. And for your info, I did try to get the issue resolved but nobody at the Insider cared.

15. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    OK, this is getting a little heated. Let's dial it back down, alright?

Everybody's got an opinion, and nobody's is better than any of the others. You don't wanna do Hyperspace, fine. We get that. You find benefit in it, that's fine, too.

16. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Yes, it was a waste... for YOU. Not for me or for countless other Hyperspace members. You are entitled to your opinion, and that is perfectly fine. No arguing that here. But my point was you cannot GENERALIZE and say the FC is a total waste. You had some issues with their service - sorry to hear that. I on the other hand have not. I've received EVERY copy of the Insider magazine since 2003. And I did not join the FC for the Celebration "perks". Those were added bonuses that only enhanced my membership experience. The Celebration "benefits" if you will didn't (and will never) make or break my FC membership. I enjoy the magazine and the exclusive online content on the Hyperspace website. So the $40 is extremely well spent IMO. The same obviously cannot be said for you, and that is fine too.

Complain?? Fortunately I have never had anything to complain about, which sadly cannot be said for some fans. You've had a bad experience, and I wish you better luck in the future if you decide to renew your membership to the FC.

Don't like the FC? Then don't join. Plain and simple. No use arguing over something that you have total control over and can easily rectify by not subscribing. Put your $40 bucks towards something else and let's move on, shall we?

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I believe I said enough is enough. This thread will be locked if this continues.

18. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Sorry Val, but I wasn't about to sit back and take his comment about me being some "scared fan" lightly. It was uncalled for and a response by me was deserving. No need for that sort of stuff.

'Nuff said. Now on to bigger and better things.

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I don't agree at all, just to let everyone know.

You can take it to PMs, if you really, really feel you need to defend yourself over a statement made on a message board.

I think we've said all there is to say on this subject.

20. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Hey, different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Hyperspace customer service last week about the new FC subscription process. I asked if they could let me know exactly when my current subscription was set to expire (I have been using the auto-renewal option since I became a member). I wanted to know if they were going to send out e-mails to current members notifying them that they would have to manually re-subscribe to Hyperspace once their current membership lapses.

The responded back to me stating they have not yet decided on how (or if) they would do that. I think they just might leave it up to fans to re-new their FC membership on their own once the change-over takes place and Insider magazine becomes a separate item to order thru Titan Publishing.

Just wanted to pass that along...

21. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I actually like Hyperspace and the Fan Club magazine. I don't think it's a waste at all.

22. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    When my 1st 3 or 4 books came damaged, they were actually quite helpful over the phone by extending my subscription by that many issues. That's the only real problem I've had with the people behind the magazine. I've just been tempted to pick it up in the stores (think my comic shop carries it) instead of subscribing. Maybe it's not their fault and it's my post office to blame. Not sure. I live in the sticks so who knows what they do with my magazines. =)

23. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Hey Justin, you said you have two memberships..that you save one? Have you ever found they go up in value? I'm just curious because I saw a collection of Insider mags on Ebay awhile back, all in mint condition and they went for a LOT of money. I know with Comic books there are price guides and what not. Wasn't sure how it works with magainzes. Apparently there is a value to em...just wasn't sure how you determined what that value was.

24. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    GJ, yes my wife and I both have our own FC membership so we can read one issue of Insider and store the other copy in archival-safe poly bags. We've never really checked to see what the secondary market value of any of our saved issues. As with all of our SW items in our colelction, we don't place a monetary value on any of our pieces. We collect SW merchandise for the pure fun & excitemt of doing so - not for retaining them for a long period of time and then selling them on the secondary market.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure how we could assign a value to our mint saved Insider issues even if we were to sell them on eBay. Remember, how much something is "worth" will only be as high as somebody is willing to pay for it. I guess a few issues, such as the one given out exclusively at Best Buy during the OT DVD release back in 2004 (which we own) could be worth something down the road. And maybe the six collector issues that are currently commemorating the 30th anniversary might also increase in value as well years from now.

25. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    That's cool. I just never associated any kind of collectibility to them until you mentioned it and then I saw that collection on Ebay. If I recall correctly, it was like like $300 or something close to that. Not sure how many issues that was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.