main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace New Short Fiction: JJM's "The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol" now online!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JohnJacksonMiller, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, that can work, so long as you keep Luke out of it for a while and don't have the Rogues actually on Cilpar for two weeks (provided we're keeping everything but 107 in the first month).

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    There's another break in the Rogue Leader story that helps out, though--the coda takes place an unspecified number of days after the end of the main story. It's the coda that leads into the Cilpar mission, so there's room for more Marvels during that unspecified number of days. Given what we know now, this is my preferred order for the month after ROTJ:

The Truce at Bakura
    (1 week after ROTJ)
    *Marvel #81: Jawas of Doom
    Marvel #82: Diplomacy
    Rogue Leader (Luke briefs on Corellian mission)*
    (These issues can all overlap. JMM prefers to place Diplomacy during Rogue Leader)
    *Marvel #83: Sweetheart Contract
    Marvel #84: Seoul Searching* (Concurrent)
    (2 weeks after ROTJ)
    Rogue Leader (Conclusion)
    Marvel #85: The Hero
    Marvel #87: Still Active After All These Years
    Marvel #88: Figurehead
    Marvel #90: The Choice
    Marvel #91: Wookiee World
    Marvel #92: The Dream
    Marvel #98: Supply and Demand
    Marvel #93: Catspaw
    Marvel #94: Small Wars
    Marvel #95: No Zeltrons
    Marvel #96: Duel With a Dark Lady
    Marvel #97: Escape
    Marvel #101: Far, Far Away
    Marvel #99: Touch of the Goddess
    Marvel #100: First Strike
    Rogue Leader (Coda)
    1 Month after ROTJ
    Rogue Squadron: The Rebel Opposition
    *Marvel #102: School Spirit
    Marvel #103: Tai* (Concurrent)
    *Marvel #104: Nagais and Dolls
    Marvel #105: The Party's Over
    Marvel #106: My Hiromi* (1 day)

The big deal is that canon now allows us to place #107 and Shadows of the Empire: Evolution months later, freeing up some time. The Rebel Opposition omni says that it takes place about a month after the Battle of Endor, and the new article states that the official declaration of the New Republic wasn't transmitted until after the battle at Zeltros, which, the article seems to indicate, took place after the Cilpar mission. I think that, reading between the lines, we've got some days into the month after Endor to play squeeze in those last few Marvels before #107. :D

TC

3. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Yeah, that's more or less my take on it. I would make more issues concurrent, though, like:
    - #85, 87, 88
    - #90, 91
    - #97 & #101 overlap a little.

Also, Abel Peña's Dark Forces article originally snuck in the gap between #106 and #107, making it canon. Placing Dash and Guri at Saijo actually pushed issue #107 to after SOTE: Evolution, which is usually dated a few months after Endor.

I also tend to think that "a month after Endor" -- as in the Declaration of the New Republic -- does not necessarily mean "exactly thirty days after". I placed #106 literally days before the Declaration, so both could kind of be within the same month, right?

Anyway, I didn't want to get TOO specific with this stuff in an article, because you still have to leave some wiggle room.

4. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Very true. See, I'd read Abel's article as actually pushing Evolution back into the first month, since most other sources (like the New Essential Chronology) seemed bound and determined to keep all the Marvel stuff in one month.

TC

5. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Would anybody out there be interested in some "endnotes"?

6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Of course.

7. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Definitely.

8. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Endnotes?! Absolutely!

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Definitely. :cool:

10. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Like you even have to ask. :p ;)

TC

11. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    With a week without any Star Wars book/comics releases ahead, pleae give us endnotes!!!!!!!

Great story, and great timeline-info!!!!! Thanks!!!

12. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I'll do my best to get something online within a week or two. Stay tuned. I'll mention it here when it's ready.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    JMM:

Do you flesh out any of the battle of the Nagai-Tof War? Marvel always made these battle look pretty small in scale and weak, so I am wondering if you took the opportunity to expand the scope of the conflict.

Also- any fleet info?

Thanks!

--Adm. Nick

14. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I really spent more time adding info on brand new battles, as opposed to giving more details on the established ones. Very little time is dedicated to the specifics of the Rebels' fleet, but there is one section called "The Nagai Fleet" which discusses the designs of their vessels and fighters, and a few details on their speed, power, etc.

JMM

15. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    Awesome! I look forward to it. :)

16. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I've got the endnotes for the article online sooner than I expected to. It's up on the Star Wars Fanboy Association website, here. Come back and leave any comments you may have in this thread.

JMM

17. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Great stuff. Like I said before, I was really excited to see that you stretched out the war and made it more of a major conflict. You did a great job of pulling from so many different sources and blending it together with new stuff to make it a cohesive entity. I'm going to have to dig out all my Marvel Nagai stuff now and read it over with all this new info in mind :)

18. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    I have one question for you, JMM, after reading the Endnotes. You say, "The title for the piece is an attempt to give an in-universe explanation for the fact that this storyline has occasionaly been ignored in modern Star Wars fiction." I'm curious, then--does that mean that this article is meant to be an in-universe document?

The Endnotes were really great, JMM--thanks so much for posting them!

19. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Someone else asked me this, too. My answer is... yes and no.

I sort of think any article that is written as if the subject is NOT fictional is more or less in-universe, isn't it?

I like to think that the term "the forgotten war" is something that may have been used by characters in the SW universe. But, no, I guess wouldn't go so far as to say that this very article with this same title is sitting on some Jedi's datapad.

20. Darth_Piejs

Darth_Piejs Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2009
    Thanks a lot for a job well done!
    Reading this article has proven very entertraining and I like the fact that the old Marvel comics return to the canon being retconned to fit with the more recent EU. (This conflict, Lumiya in LotF, Arbra in Han Solo and the Hollow Moon, Fenn Shysa in Republic and Imperial Commando....)

Dash, Guri and Kyle in the Tof Castle! Exciting.

At a time when TCW destroys the EU of the period, it's very sweet to see the authors of the real EU to take care of the fittings and even working with the old Marvel stuff to make them canon again!

I haven't read all the issues of the War mainly those with the Dark Lady but reading this article give me the will to read them all.

Oh and thanks for the endnotes too!

21. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I'm glad people like the article. One of the main points of it was to find all those major and minor references to the war that have showed up in recent years, put them together and make sense out of them. Another goal, further down the list, was to try and make the forced timeline seem more reasonable.

Hopefully, it may inspire other writers to revisit this story, and any other Marvel stories out there. And I also hope I'll have the chance to write on some other subjects. There's one piece in particular I'm hoping will get the green light for next year. Stay tuned!

22. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Here's something that I kind of forgot about in the process of writing this article, but was reminded of recently.

According to The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook, the Declaration of a New Republic was transmitted four weeks after the Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets. Since the Bakura incident takes up the first week after Endor, doesn't that place the New Republic's beginning at five weeks after Endor, instead of one month exactly? An extra week to play with would make the Marvels fit even more comfortably...

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    and LSATSOM...

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Man, I was waiting for another Abel article before going back to Hyperspace but now it looks like I have no choice... 8-}

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    DELETE double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.