main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace New Short Fiction: JJM's "The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol" now online!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JohnJacksonMiller, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    DELETE double post

2. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    New UPDATE TO HYPERSPACE: Dex Diner's Menu with lots of Dex backstory info and many surprises. I loved it! So many jokes in there and funny sidenotes. countless planets, cultures and animals mentioned (and cooked :p) just awesome. Use this whenever needing food for roleplaying companies ;)

3. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    What? Another new article? No! This thread is about MINE! Or, at least it is as of the middle of page 11... ;)

This does sound like a fun one! I'll have to check it out later today.

4. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Congratulations to another WTSer! Awesome news, and a very interesting concept. I'm reading this today.

5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    sorry, I love yours but I always love more stuff, too!

Now get the Atlas update about the Tiion online and I am a very happy man.

6. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback! I had a blast writing the piece . . . I hoped others would like it too!

I've got a blog post up on the writing of "Dining at Dex's," if anyone's interested.

7. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    The Soup People makes me laugh whenever I read it.

ph

8. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    Man, I wish I had more time right now. Will definitely be checking out this article and the behind-the-scenes look as soon as I can!

And I can't believe how close together these articles came out! Great stuff!

9. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Wait, new fiction AND new endnotes in the same day?

[face_dancing]

Congrats, NarbFlick!

10. Caledre

Caledre Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2006
    Congratulations! Love the 'sliders' - are you from the midwest?

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I haven't even really started reading it yet, but this idea--if you'll excuse the expression--takes the cake. That's the best thing about these source articles--you never know what you're going to get!

EDIT: Now that I've had a chance to read it, I have to say that, in many ways, this is one of the most entertaining articles on Hyperspace. I love that, given the setting, it's nearly impossible to tell whether or not things like "black hole pepper" and "brown dwarf gravy" are common everyday terms or Dex-specific puns. I laughed out loud at things like "Mongo Beefhead patty" and the Hood family ice cream on the Tibanna split. I also liked the references to existing foodstuffs--zoochberries and the surprisingly popular Neuvian sundae. And the existence of a donut droid. The whole thing is priceless.

I'm gonna have to go make a sandwich now... :p

BTW, Narb, you mentioned in your blog that you became more familliar with the diner while playing LEGO Star Wars. Was there anything from that game that made it into the article?

TC

12. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks, Hedec!

13. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    The sliders had already been established in other sources, but I was happy to take the idea and run with it!

14. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    You know, I tried to squeeze in a LEGO reference, but nothing seemed to come naturally. Still, the hours I've spent playing that game (not to mention the many more hours spent watching my six-year-old play the game) certainly contributed to my fondness for Dex's!

15. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I have to say this is one of the more fun and funniest "serious" SW fiction pieces I've seen. Lots of obscure references, inside jokes and eye-rolling puns. All of which are fine by me. I was also amused to see that we just learned the names of the days of the week on Coruscant in a very unexpected source. It'll be fun to see who the first author to mention one of those days in a story will be!

(Incidentally, you are all witness to my first post as a board VIP... :))

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Wow, a Mongo Beefhead reference? Cool.

Maybe I should get Hyperspace again...

17. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Who's in charge of changing the thread title?

18. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    Great stuff, NarbFlick. One question I have for you, by the way--where did those great pictures that accompanied the article come from?

Congrats, JMM!

19. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Ki-Aaron-Mundi: Those photos are all from the set of Dexter's Diner. I think most have never been published before.

20. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    To echo everyone else, great work, Narb. One of my favourites was the Anzati snot garlic - yummy!

Are the Qiraadishes a reference to the Qirassh species? (You predicted Wookieepedia picking up connections. I'll be first, having just written up Qiraash)

~ Eyrezer

21. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks, Eyrezer! Yeah, that was a play on "Qiraash."

22. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    And another Hyperspace article: The History of Xim and the Tion Cluster!!!! By Jason Fry with new maps by MODI!!!!!

It is Xim Week over at starwars.com, so I am hoping for more articles (or maybe even a timeline?)

23. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Wow! How many times will the subject of this thread have to change? :)

I have to say it's great to see lots of new Hyperspace stuff popping up online! Especially nice to see something like this that compliments a recently released book.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    OMG they released Alpha Red.. it is loose in the galaxy *shuts mouth fast* I love it :D

25. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    History of Xim = [face_hypnotized]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.