main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace New Short Fiction: JJM's "The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol" now online!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JohnJacksonMiller, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    Because of their obvious similarities, I wanted to imply some kind of connection between Dexter and Doodnik when I was writing this piece. At one point, I think I might have even considered making them brothers, but in the end I decided to leave things more vague. Since Doodnik's species isn't clearly stated in the article, I think the most that can be said is that it's implied that he's a Besalisk. (And, yeah, Doodnik's appearance doesn't exactly match Dexter's, but keep in mind that Threepio and Artoo in the animated series don't exactly match their live-action versions, either!)

2. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    That was pretty much my line of thinking in making Dracos a Lizard Warrior. They aren't exact, but they are pretty darn close. Especially if you consider one to be a cartoony representation of the other.

3. NarbFlick

NarbFlick Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    I'm glad you mentioned Dracos, because I particularly liked that reference in your article! Thanks for shining a little light on the guy!

4. BC_SW_fan

BC_SW_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks to both authors for championing obscure characters from Droids and Ewoks! It was a very pleasant surprise to see the Lizard Warriors and Doodnik get some attention again after all these years.

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    In the current vein of discussion of online Star Wars EU literature, I was recently reading HalagadVentor' notes on "The Emperor's Pawns", and read the bit about Jax's meeting with Nom Anor and the idea of a Vong/Sith alliance. Is there any chance that this will get elaborated upon in the near future?

6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    jSarek, you crazy son of a gun. =D=

Retconning the Latin, Greek, and Hebrew alphabets in with explanations is downright inspired, especially the recall to High Galactic. And the linguistics geek in me is happy about the subject matter too.

8. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    w00t! It's finally up! =D=

Still unsure how I feel about incorporating the Roman alphabet into the "real" universe vs. keeping it a fourth-wall conceit, but I must say it was very artistically done. ;) Kudos also for the tie-ins to galactic history and being the first get anything out of the Vader-chestplate script.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, there's been evidence that the Roman alphabet is its own entity. The Corporate Sector Authority logo has both an Aurebesh Cresh-Senth-Aurek and a "CSA". It's also nice to have an explanation for the signatures, which could be explained as a "translated for the benefit of the audience" thing, but since they're supposed to be more IU, and we have signatures from the same sources that are in alien alphabets, it's a good retcon.

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    So what this means is that Basic is English, whereas Old High Galactic (which claims to be paleobasic) is actually an Alsakan conlang that did, however, preserve the alphabet? Inspired! :D =D=

Two questions: firstly, any chance that "Common Sith" is that old prosteletyzer Imperial Aramaic (perhaps introduced by the Exiles) rather than one of its descendant-scripts (and thus no real relation to Massassi either); and secondly, do we use the influence of Ratakan script to explain the weirdnesses in the Aurebesh?

- The Imperial Ewok

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Grr...

Just when I think I'm out... they pull me back in.

Fighting the temptation to renew Hyperspace...

At any rate, congrats to ol' Rekky. I'd suspected that he'd be doing one of these things, although a part of me had hoped it would be a Chandler-esque tale. But this sounds just as interesting. Actually, more interesting.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    jSarek, I love you. This is awesome.

13. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    No, High Galactic is a direct descendant of the pre-Basic Coruscanti language, while Basic is a creole of Coruscanti, Durese, and other sources.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks. :) I think you'll probably enjoy my endnotes when I finally get them organized. As a linguist friend of mine said when proofreading my manuscript, "You have a single footnote citing both Knights of the Old Republic and The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language? Holy [poodoo]."

Well, I was fairly careful to not tie the two alphabets together *too* explicitly. While the shape of Y-wings and X-wings make it clear that at least *some* Roman-shaped letters exist in the High Galactic Alphabet, I don't think it's a nail in the coffin for those who advocate "Star Wars is translated into English for our benefit!" in any way. We've known since WEG there were multiple alphabets used to write Basic; we just didn't know until now *which* specific alphabet either is identical to, or else is translated into, Roman letters.

While I happen to fall pretty firmly into the "Basic is English!" camp, I prefer that argument to remain a matter of each reader's interpretation, not a canon say-so . . . and certainly not *my* say-so. ;-)

Exactly. Again, you can assume those aren't really Roman letters they're writing, but have been translated into them for the benefit of an Earthly audience; but if you do, it's kind of hard to ignore that there *are* multiple alphabets at work, and that one is singled out for the benefit of translation.

Well, no, High Galactic's alphabet is the construct, built with Tionese letters (an explanation for the Greek-identical letters found in the Roman alphabet) and letters of their own devising. The language itself is a natlang, the conservative descendant of the Old Coruscanti tongue used by Coruscant's colonists to the world, re-branded (but not significantly changed) for Alsakan's cultural campaign.

EDIT: You know, like Hydro just said. ;-)

In answer to your first question, I could only go so far with historical parallelism, but I see the Common Sith script as being more like Demotic Egyptian in historical role, even though it's Hebrew in form. As written, the Sith species were spreading Common Sith to their colony worlds long before first encountering the Exiles, though if anyone can find the wiggle room in the text to find a differing interpretation, it's you. ;-)

In answer to your second question, I'm not sure which specific "weirdnesses" you're referring to. If you mean it sometimes gets seen upside-down and ba

15. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Super congratulations, jSarek! And forthcoming endnotes, to boot! :D

16. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    jSarek, you magnificent barve!

You have taken nearly every concern I've ever had about Star Wars alphabets, diced them and tossed them, and made us all a delicious salad of linguistic awesomeness.

Now give me a good canonical explanation for "jeez" that doesn't involve Tolkien-esque realtime translation, and you will be the awesomest person in the history of awesome.

17. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007

18. Tyber

Tyber Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2009
    jSarek - you rule. It's a brilliant piece of literature and I hope there's more to come. I'm especially interested in the piece Star Maps and Scripts: The Rakata Connection, so if you could arrange something...

Well, congratulations. I really enjoyed reading it.

19. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It was good, but I must say I'm still unconvinced as for the need for the latin alphabet's existence (X-wings and Y-wings? Does a TIE-Fighter presume the existence of a tie?)

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Impressive work, jSarek. I'm always a sucker for Star Wars academia... =D=

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    But does a TIE actually look like a tie?

22. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    No less than a Y-Wing looks like a "Y".

23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Maybe if you're comparing the TIE fighter to a bowtie. But to a normal neck tie? No, I think it would look a lot less like such a tie than a Y-wing looks like a Y. :)

24. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Well, a capital Y, maybe. Doesn't look like "y".

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    AWESOME new HS piece of pure gold! congrats!

though I sadly missed Huttese in it and some other languages/writings found throughout WEG and other sources like computer games, etc. I hope you can follow up on these with later stuff please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.