main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hypothetical disruption field that keeps thermal detonators from going off?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by rktho, May 15, 2021.

1. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Shields in Star Wars have a clear weakness: any sucker can lob a grenade through them. How would a group of combatants potentially mitigate this to prevent their defenses from being blown to smithereens?

2. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    I wonder if droideka shields could be replicated on a large scale. Those are OP. You can’t fire through it except from inside and solid objects only pass through if they’re slow.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Let's ask the expert.

@Sarge

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    According to the old WEG d6 SW RPG rules, there are two basic types of shields, ray shields and particle shields. Ray shields keep out energy beams like blasters and lasers, while particle shields repel physical objects. So, add particle shielding, calibrated to keep out grenades, shrapnel, and bullets. It will cost more, add weight, complexity, and maintenance, and it will draw more energy, so that might be why not everyone does it.

There's probably a lot more possibilities, but that's the first one that came to my mind.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figure that droideka shields are both ray and particle - the particle shield component is why grenades have to be gently rolled through but anything faster bounces off, and the ray shielding component is why blaster bolts bounce off and it takes really big guns to take down a droideka.

I'm not sure if their ability to fire through from the inside is because the shield is "one way" or because the very tips of the droideka's gun barrels poke through the shield - but I think it's more likely to be the second possibility.

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I don't think so look at TCW. They put EMP grenades through the shields

rktho likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The main "grenades have to be gently rolled through - if they roll too fast they bounce off" scene is in the Onderon arc.

rktho likes this.