main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Hypothetical Star Wars Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    TCW shows how much more an enormous story can be developed through the medium of television instead of film. On another forum, I read a proposed idea from a fan that the prequel trilogy be remade as a Netflix series spanning approximately 6 seasons so that any continuity issues could potentially be explained/resolved. While I think that would be cool personally, I wondered what other stories or concepts of the SW universe could be explored in an ongoing series better than in a movie trilogy. Any ideas?

DarthTalonx likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    If they did release a straight to Netflix show, then I'd have to wait for the DVD release to watch it. And seeing as how the Clone Wars season 6 is still not out in the UK, I might be waiting a long time.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    "The Ahsoka Chronicles". Hey, it could happen! :D

I actually signed up for the Netflix streaming just so I could watch the Lost Missions (Season 6) episodes of TCW a little over a year ago. A need a reason like that to sign up again.

4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Well, as long as The Ahsoka Chronicles didn't suffer the same fate as The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I'm still a little annoyed about that one...

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I passed on that, and I'm a big Terminator fan (well, at least a fan of the first two movies).

seventhbeacon likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a lot of room for Star Wars original series on Netflix. I would love to see it, especially if it's the same caliber as Daredevil.

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    If it ended up like Daredevil, I think I'd be extremely happy. If it was anything like what 1313 looked like it could become if it had ever been finished, I'd be all for it.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Come to think of it, most of the Netflix original series have been pretty well received, at least to my knowledge.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  9. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Marco Polo was also very good.

10. Charon Lefleur

Jun 17, 2015
    Yeah, I loved Daredevil. Some of the other programming is hit-or-miss with me but I feel like Daredevil could be the most indicative of how a Star Wars spin-off series could work since Daredevil plays off the larger Marvel universe in references to events from the first Avengers movie.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    A star wars series like Daredevil? What would it involve Vader decapitating a rebel by slamming his head into the hatch of his x wing?

Stormtrooper WE5-L3Y: This will start a war Lord Vader!
    Vader: I'm counting on it

Charon Lefleur and mes520 like this.
  12. Charon Lefleur

Jun 17, 2015
    Hahahaha, SilentGuy66, a girl can dream!

13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm hoping for a couple of different things out of Star Wars on TV, and if that isn't worked-out to Disney/Lucasfilm's satisfaction, I suppose Netflix may potentially offer an alternative.

Anyway, some of what I'm really hoping to see explored onscreen in the SW canon include:

1. First and foremost, I want the early post-ROTJ adventures of the OT Big 3 finally told onscreen. With the erasing of the old EU, this is an obvious, huge (gaping) hole in the SW canon.

Luke Skywalker, with his personal OT issues resolved, steps out from the shadow of his father and now begins to fight openly as a young Jedi Knight, helping his Alliance brethren and hoping to restore the good name of the Jedi. Maybe he meets someone special in his life. He almost certainly begins teaching Leia about the Force. Leia takes her first steps into a larger world, (hopefully) wielding a lightsaber of her own and juggling the embracing (or disavowing) of her family heritage with her continued duty as one of the leaders commanding the Alliance. She and marries Han Solo, who struggles with embracing a life of "respectability" and the expectations which come with the rank of General.

All set against the Imperial Remnant who consolidate their forces after the loss at Endor, refusing to give in to the terrorist rebels. For the first time (under the new canon), we can see an overarching villain who is not Force-sensitive.

Now, even if it would be hard for me to get used to someone else as Luke, I vastly prefer SW with flesh and blood, live-action actors up on the silver screen. And if it means we can have these stories told onscreen, I'd get over seeing other faces in these iconic roles. And though my first choice is for a film(s), once again, I'd take it any way we can get it.

So, whether it's in the form of a film(s), a live-action television show, an animated series with the striking visual splendor of late-era TCW? ABC? Netflix? HBO? Provided it's onscreen in some form, it doesn't make all that much difference to me.

I. Just. Want. It. :)

2. Star Wars: Underworld.

Fifty one-hour episode scripts. Finished. And signed-off on by George Lucas. Set in Lower Coruscant. During the Dark Times.

Come on!

Did I mention fifty finished, one-hour, George Lucas-approved scripts?

3. Star Wars: The Old Republic.

This needs to happen. In a perfect world, I envision this as a trilogy of live-action films starring the man who just won the Star Wars Fan's Choice-Poll for the next 6" figure: Revan. Even if Lucasfilm sticks only to the most basic elements of his Legends continuity, his is a story just made for the big screen.

But you know? Even if all they kept of Revan's old story was his name and his terrific character design, he'd still make for a terrific addition to the canon.

And with such a vast chunk of the SW time line now left so very wide open, I almost think any "Old Republic" story might best be suited for a sprawling epic, brought to us in the form of a televisions series. And since we've no iconic actor's faces to put to the characters, live-action is an easier choice here. But again, animation would certainly work, too.

And what a story Lucasfilm has sitting there, just waiting to be told...

"There hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic."
    "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have our revenge."
    "This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade."
    "For generations, my [Mandalorian] ancestors fought proudly as warriors against the Jedi."
    "We are... descendants of the true warrior faith all Mandalorians once knew."
    "There have not been battles like this since the days of the Old Republic."
    "Long have Sith Empires been built upon the backs of slaves."
    "Moraband, [the] ancient Sith world abandoned after many wars, ages ago."
    "The Sith killed each other, victims of their own greed. But from the ashes of destruction, I was the last survivor."
    "Long ago, in forgotten times when the Sith and the Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power."

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic."

The ancient Jedi Order tasked with fighting against an Army of Sith, as the Mandalorian Warriors (potentially) form the powerful and influential Third Faction of this war? The Sith Empire is eventually defeated, and in its place, a new Republic rises? Yes, please and thank you.

Oh, and incidentally, the other nice thing about working in the new canon is that, while the characters were previously living in different times/eras, Lucasfilm is now free to take someone like the aforementioned Revan and pair him with (or against) another fan favorite like, say, Exar Kun (or the already canon Darth Bane!).

Yeah, gimme some of that. Better yet, give me five, six or seven seasons (or more, if it's really good) of that!

4. Character-driven series' ("The Skywalker"):

Most of my desires for character stories are things I hope to see told in the Anthology feature films (A Ben Kenobi film set during Obi-Wan's exile period and starring Ewan McGregor. The rumored Boba Fett film. I'd love to see something involving Darth Vader during his years between Episode III and IV).

But as far as Netflix goes? Well, we've heard scuttlebutt surrounding a possible Netflix series centering on Cad Bane. I don't know whether that's a rumor that ever had any legs, but it might be interesting.

But personally? There's really only one character story I'm interested in as an ongoing series:

A show which follows Mark Hamill as an aged Luke Skywalker.

If Luke survives the events of the ST (and I desperately hope that he will), I've been thinking about an idea for a series where, after helping to restore the Jedi Order (preferably in his own image) in Episodes 7, 8 and 9, Luke Skywalker hands the reins over to the new generation, before wandering off into the (binary) sunset to an unknown fate.

The conceit for the series is that the story picks back up with Luke years later. He has now become a legend: "The Skywalker." A rarely-seen, traveling mystic who wanders the galaxy alone -- or maybe with Artoo :) -- with only the Force as his ally (no more need for a lightsaber). During his travels, Luke helps those he encounters (a great way of introducing new characters to the franchise) and disseminates little pearls of wisdom along the way.

Think of it as Kung Fu (the old television series) in space.

Out of all of my little ideas and private wishes, something like this might be the most suited for Netflix.

14. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    I feel like the Old Republic period should be left for film once it's finaly explored, after a while i could see them doing a tv series covering a certain period, but i'm not sure it would be the right medium to start exploring it for the first time.

On Netflix i would like to see them completing The Clone Wars storyline, one of my problems with that show was that it seemed like they were stretching everything out without a real enging in sight, but now they could plan up to the 8th season and let all their plot lines be resolved until then. Would also like them to explore the period right after Episode II up until the beginning of The Clone Wars show, there seems to be in least half a year period that hasn't been explore in the new canon yet, with Ventress not having actualy been introduced, as she already knows Anakin and Obi-Wan for some time.

Once Netflix was fully done with exploring the clone wars in the new canon, i would like to see them dwelve into the period of the original trilogy, expecialy the time between Episode IV and V, i would like to see stuff from Heir to the Jedi and the new Marvel comics fully animated. Netflix would therefore feature the SW shows more directed at fans and with the intention of filling in the details of the movies, while Disney XD would have things directed at kids and new fans, like Star Wars Rebels and possibly something set before the New Trilogy once that show is done.

I feel like Star Wars Underworld is more fitting for primetime, being directed at adults and yound people, and serving to expand vastly upon the SW universe. I feel lie primetime is perfect because this show should feel like an event, and should be directed at the mainstream public.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would just like to see the universe branch out. I can't overstate how disappointed I am with the influx of Force users in Rebels.

When you watch the Marvel movies, each one has its own tone, despite being a shared universe. All have action, but Winter Soldier was kind of a political thriller, while Guardians is a space adventure, while Thor was like this fish out of water, Hulk is like a werewolf, etc.

But since 1999 and the prequels, it's largely about Jedi with poorly articulated politics. If they want to do politics, do some political thriller. They can do Sopranos in space for things like the criminal elements. Etc. Everything doesn't need to be about stoic Jedi taking on the dark side.

That's kind of why Rogue One sounds so appealing to me.

16. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree 100%. I am hoping once they are finished with the this current trilogy they do one for Knights of the Old Republic.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd also like a trilogy of Old Republic features. I prefer my SW in the theater and to tell the story of a whole new era, I rather think Lucasfilm would be hard-pressed to fit everything they'd need to in just one picture.

As I say, alternatively, they could look at a long-running series.

But maybe it doesn't have to be "either/or"? I suppose Lucasfilm could follow in the footsteps of George Lucas, do as he did when tackling the PT/Clone War era, and introduce an entire multimedia event, including (but not limited to) a trilogy of films, alongside a TV/online series?

That would be ideal.

18. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I think doing a live action Star Wars series could be a bit difficult because it's just so big and would require a very large budget.. With all the sets, props, etc. needed to make SW feel like SW is probably why movies are easier. A new animated series or continuation of TCW would be more likely

I really hope they find a way to do a live action show eventually though that would be clutch

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That's a good point. We know that budgetary concerns were cited as the main reason why Underworld never got off the ground.

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If it really cost so much to make a star wars TV series, the least they could do is make a three part mini series......

21. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    A "House of Cards" type political thriller starring none other than Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Best to put Star Wars on a mainstream regular channel at a time slot where families can enjoy it together in the living room like human beings. I don't think Lucas would've aired a live action series unless he had full control of the station like he does his movies. With his deal with Disney, thats in the package.

23. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    Yeah, to do a live action TV series that felt like the movies would be too expensive. You could do something more like Star Trek, Stargate, BattleStar Galatica, or any of the other Star TV Series. Smaller scale, more personal, more drama, less action. Farscape might be the best show to replicate.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not surprised Lucasfilm has some Netflix Star Wars shows in development but I'm surprised they wouldn't have a broadcast network like ABC air at least one of the shows, the way Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter are on ABC with Daredevil, etc. on Netflix. You'd figure at least one of the theoretical Star Wars shows would be on the big boys TV network as a shiny weekly advertisement for Disney owned IP (the way AoS/AC is) and then go niche with Netflix stuff.