main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Hypothetical Star Wars Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 6, 2015.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Underworld and Detours need to happen. I'd rather have Detours be released on Netflix in the Kids section for binge watching purposes rather than have it fall on the wayside completely, considering many episodes are complete.

Sandtrooper956 and darskpine10 like this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Detours, although it didn't look that great, might as well be released just so we can see it.

As for the rumoured Netflix series, I wonder if a Kenobi series would be possible. It could be like a Gotham type series about Obi Wan on Tatooine (still played by McGregor) protecting Luke from various desert threats. Throw in the odd flashback and an eventual appearance of Maul and you end up with THE GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER!:p

chagrian_scavenger and KED12345 like this.
  3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

That's exactly what I was thinking. A post-ROTS Kenobi series would be (relatively) low budget and wouldn't require that much CGI.

chagrian_scavenger likes this.
  4. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    For the Old Republic idea, maybe they could loosely adapt KoTOR and KoTOR 2, along with what would have been KoTOR 3 into a trilogy of films, and then a prequel show on Netflix showing Revan's rise as a Jedi and the Mandalorian Wars. The show would be an epic fantasy kind of like Game of Thrones, but more suitable for the keeds.

They may not want to adapt a storyline from Legends though.

Don't know about three live-action shows. Maybe one or two of them will be a mini-series like Kenobi between ROTS and ANH? Also, if they're planning to explore the post-ROTJ, pre-TFA galaxy, I'd want it in an animated show. A live-action show where they have to re-cast Luke, Leia and Han just sounds wrong to me.

I'm always up for a Star Wars: Underworld or 1313 type show. That's a no-brainer for a Star Wars Netflix show. It could have Boba Fett as a special character like Vader in Rebels.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd like a lot more space combat please, including ship-to-ship combat, preferably using tactics other than "cruise slowly past the enemy at point blank range (less than a ship's length) while the ships slug away at eachother".

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want to see more of the criminal underworld and not focus on rebels vs empire. And if we ever see the Empire fighting, they could be fighting criminals (people not focused on defeating the empire).

A way to do this is set the show pre-Rebels, in a time where there is no resistance against the empire growing. Maybe earlier on in the dark times, in which clone troopers are still in use and Republic tech, which would also give us a visual difference then Rebels.

On the topic of force sensitives, and whether or not they should appear.....I would welcome a show that has no force users.....HOWEVER, if done.....it has to be different then "Rebels".

No ex-Jedi becoming a Jedi again (Kanan). No getting an apprentice, and no help from a good lightsaber wielding force user (Ahsoka).

So if we do get a ex-jedi, he or she (preferably a she) has given up on the Jedi path in the name of hiding from the empire, and is not going back. She doesn't get an apprentice. She either doesn't have a lightsaber anymore.....though if she did, it sure isn't kept on her body. Instead she relies on a blaster and still uses the benefits of having the force. For a criminal based show, she could be role of a bounty hunter or smuggler. Flashbacks could give us her Jedi self, but the focus of her story in the present is giving up on her past, trying to stay out of the Empire's way (unlike Kanan and co) and starting a new life.

Another idea for a force user that does not fit the typical norms, is an ex-Inquisitor. Maybe one in training never completed it (or did), and for whatever reason he is not apart of the empire and is also trying to stay of their radar (the Empire doesn't want "loose ends"). Maybe he still has possession of a lightsaber. This example is a way to give us a dark force wielder....without resorting to Sith or actual Inquisitors, and one who isn't overpowered. Flashbacks could give us more info of how Inquisitors come to be.

And remember, giving us a new force user in a new dark times show does not mean we have to get lightsaber duels, or force users fighting other force users.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    They just really, really, REALLY need to diversify the Star Wars universe IMO. One of the things that I felt hurt Star Trek, was it's inability to really set each series apart after Deep Space 9.

The Original Series was very much about just visiting a new planet every week and a space adventure. The big three cast members were Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

TNG jumps forward like 100 years, it still captured that kind of different adventure a week, but also got more heavy into ethical dilemmas, morality, doing the right thing, etc. They put Worf in the cast, when the Klingons had previously been antagonists. They introduced Data who was a character that wanted to know what it was like to be human. Entire episodes might be about that kind of aspect of a character.

DS9 did not take place on a ship nor was about exploration. Instead it took place on a space station where a bunch of races and cultures mixed. It became more and more political as time went on and war became a big part of the story, in contrast to TNG which took place in a largely peaceful utopia.

Now, Voyager and Enterprise have their fans, and I'm in no way suggesting that they are objectively awful, but to me they didn't carry with them anything that properly set them apart from the others. In fact Enterprise's main three cast members seemed to center on Archer, Trip Tucker (a Southerner, like McCoy), and T'pol (a Vulcan, like Spock). They seemed to rehash a lot of what had already been done. In Voyager they introduced Seven of Nine, who pretty much had to relearn what it was like to be human, and thus had similarities with Data, while The Doctor also had similarities, as he was a hologram that became more and more "human."

IMO, Star Wars CAN NOT expect to just keep rehashing Jedi vs. Sith, or throw an astromech droid into every core cast, whether it's R2, T3, BB, or Chopper. It can't just keep relying on making slight alterations to the same basic formula.

I drew the comparison to Marvel earlier, in that each Marvel film is similar in that they are all about super heroes and have action, but Captain America is very different from Hulk, who is very different from Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Daredevil takes place in that shared universe, but is much more adult. Guardians of the Galaxy is much more of a "fun for the whole family" kind of film, Captain America isn't "adult" in the sense that it's particularly dark, but I feel like it would be boring to most young kids.

You can watch them all and get to know every facet of the shared universe, or you might just really love Guardians of the Galaxy and not really care about the rest.

I feel like Star Wars needs to differentiate is properties in that way. There can be the fun for the whole family core saga, then you might have TV shows or films that target more young kids, and you can do the stories like political thrillers or dramas that perhaps would be more appealing to teenagers and adults at the exclusion of young kids, nothing R-rated to be sure, but stories that are to Star Wars what something like Daredevil or Winter Soldier are to Marvel. Something that you might not take your young kids to see either because they don't have the attention span for it, or because of mature content.

They can do stories that take place in the Star Wars criminal world that are more adult. They can do political thrillers taking place in either during Palpatine's rise to power or during the Imperial era. They can do like a Han Solo/Chewbacca solo movie that's more lighthearted and silly. They can do the Jar Jar Binks and D-Squad kinds of stories. They can explore more dark and humorless takes on what it's like to live under a tyrannical regime complete with rival politicians being dragged out into the street and shot, etc. Then there is still a place for the tales of archetype knights fighting evil sorcerers.

But it doesn't all need to be about Jedi and Sith. Not every series needs a lightsaber. Not every series or film needs the family dynamic or comedic banter. When there was just the saga, it was one thing, because a common tone could help link it all together. But now when there is no limit to the number of series or movies they can make, I hope they are as intelligent about handling Star Wars as they were with Marvel.

The thing is, I don't even like all of Marvel's stuff. I'm not a particularly big fan of the Thor films, and I actually thought both Avengers movies were pretty bad. But it's not about me having to like every single thing that Marvel (or Star Wars) does. Even if they went in directions I didn't like, they still went into other directions that I did like (Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Daredevil). Each property feels different, and the more different they are, the greater the chance that there will be things I don't like. But at the same time, there's greater appreciation for the stuff I do like. But if instead it just becomes like Star Trek, with creative teams just rehashing the same kinds of casts, plots, tones, etc. Then I'm going to get burned out on Star Wars sooner rather than later.

8. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    ^^
    What was said above is pretty much the reason why I feel rebels isn't as good as I'd like it to be,

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    This is excellent.

You should put this in an e-mail and send it off to Disney / LFL. Or to a major newspaper or magazine that might publish it. Or read it out as a diatribe (or get someone with a good narrating voice to do it) and edit together a compelling video with compelling backing music and clips of the relevant shows for illustration purposes, put it on youtube, facebook etc. and try to get it to go viral.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Rebels does just as much smuggling, dealing with contacts of ill repute and sticking it to the Empire on the small scale as it does Jedi stuff. A Han Solo or Jar Jar series would just be that, minus the other stuff Rebels does.

11. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    It would be awesome, since on Netflix anyone anywhere could watch it without having to wait for it to be released in that region.

It would be truly great to continue and build upon the Clone Wars series which had so so much more potential given the vastness of the Galaxy and that timeframe - come on this is THE Clone Wars, first mentioned by Obi Wan in a New Hope.

Show us more missions with various Jedi Masters and Knights waging epic battles - show us more Jedi who make a last stand like Master Di, show us unknown Jedi who question the war, show us Jedi who lose themselves and become ruthless against the enemy alongside their troopers. Show us Jedi who lead battles and lose to a strong CIS. Give us more balance in the conflict to show that this war lasts for a long time. Show us more of the secondary tier of characters like Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, Luminara Unduli, Aayla Secura - give us episodes where they get to shine and build up their characters.

Show us where bad guys pretend to be good (Mon Calamari episodes) and have more three part episodes with pitched battles (like Geonosis) where the Republic and CIS are thrashing it out. Have episodes where the CIS is launching an assault on a Republic planet and the population is against the Republic. Show us some good guys who aren't evil in the CIS.

Lots of potential, please please please bring this and make this happen!!! Plus more Aayla Secura pls!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  12. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    A Clone Wars era series would be cool as long as it was a spin off and not a continuation of TCW. That way the show would be able to start at the beginning of the war and focus on characters new and old who didn't get a chance to shine in TCW. After all surely while the battle of Ryloth is going on there's at least four other large scale battles going on at the exact same time on the opposite corner of the galaxy

13. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Absolutely. Even a hundred battles going on... given it is a massive massive galaxy of quadrillions and these are the two largest ever armies amassed.

Yes a spin off would be good to allow others to shine. Having said that, TCW wasn't always chronological and so could get around it. I think Season 6 though did spoil it a bit with the chip thing and trying to fit things in. So yes, I suppose a new show would have to be started. But no reason why they couldn't copy the good CGI from TCW and the character designs. But they could improve people like Dooku...the shape of his head looks wrong and same with Yoda, to quote Dooku "Surely you can do better?!"

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I'd love for General Kohta to be canoised in a clone wars series simply so we can see the concept of him leading his militia while other jedi lead clones and the views they share for each other.

darskpine10 likes this.
  15. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah that would be cool.

Also what about multiple Jedi fighting droids and losing? More Master Di style moments. Also how about CIS invasions against Republic planets which are welcomed by the poplace? Where maybe Jedi have doubts about what they are doing?

More balance and clearly a conflict that is going both ways is what we want.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Only on Netflix would the jedi be allowed to continuously lose and die to overwhelming waves of droids TCW just wasn't willing to go that far:p

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Did you forget about this guy?
    [​IMG]

DarthTalonx and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I said "continuously" anyone can do it once:p

19. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    We needed more of these moments which were awesome. More Master Di style sacrifices by Jedi making a last stan. even CIS last stands against the Republic would be cool to watch.

Whilst it's great to see one off last stands like your example and Commando Gregor, it would also be cool to have a character (e.g. a Jedi) showing off their immense skill over a few episodes, then making a last stand like Di did.

We need more last stands, those moments are epic.

It would have been cool to see more Jedi moments like this with others like Aayla, Plo Koon, Adi Gallia, etc. making last stands, and some succeeding, others falling.

Agreed on Trek. TNG was pretty good though with the morality issues. Especially it relating to events today or in our recent past. Star Trek Voyager was fairly good, could have been better in it's resolution (wasn't there an episode of Seven spotting a mysterious cloaked ship tractor beaming the Caretaker device when viewing Voyager's logs? Why didn't they incorporate that into time travel as a way of getting them home? Not to mention show them arriving home!) and also in maybe the way it showed them sometimes compromising on their values and other times sticking to them. What Star Wars could do is something similar to TNG to start with, and then maybe DS9 ish. I haven't seen DS9 yet, but from what you say about it being warlike it would probably fit the Star Wars universe better, since from what we have seen the galaxy isn't a utopia yet.

Yes. It would be cool to show the Empire doing some good, maybe immediately after the events of ROTS with clone stormtroopers and the galaxy believing the Jedi to have betrayed the Republic. It would be cool to see conflicting views on the morality of the Jedi and their privelleged position over others in the galaxy.

It would be interesting to see more episodes on Galactic slavery or inequality e.g. the Twi leks, the different quality of life in the inner and outer rims. What about how Jedi are separated from their families?

What about seeing how some Jedi are torn between duty to the Order and the Force, and loyalty to their home planet or family?

What about seeing the good guys turning out to be corrupt or turning into the next Palpatine in terms of greed of power? No spoilers for Episode 7 in response to this please!!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    If Dooku can get captured by drunken pirates, Jedi are capable of falling to droid armies!

21. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes absolutely. I think Jedi should have been falling to droid armies more as it is cool to watch them fight, and shows their sacrifice for a galaxy. It makes the betrayal of them even more saddening.

I'm not sure about Dooku falling to pirates and working with Obi Wan and Anakin. That seems too far. It should have been two other Jedi with Dooku. Mixing up the main characters too much spoils their encounter in the films.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    A Star Wars show called "EMPIRE" set just after the events of Episode 3 ROTS. The newly born Empire with its clone stormtroopers cements its hold over holdouts and the show explores the citizens reaction to events. The Jedi have just been betrayed...but it has been spun as in ROTS that they betrayed the Republic and the galaxy at large. Some citizens love the Empire, some hate the Jedi, some are sceptical but are opportunists.

- Show us the reaction of the Outer Rim, show us the cut loose clone troopers as new stormtroopers. Show us the Empire doing good against corruption and pirates/smugglers. Show us good guys in the Empire.
    - Show us some bad guys and the seeds of later rebellion. Essentially instead of a binary change from the Old Republic, show us the gradual evolution into the Empire we see in Rebels and then in a New Hope.
    - Show us the Great Jedi Purge in it and Order 66 survivors. Also the Imperial Senate and the workings of the new Imperial Government.
    - Show us some who take in the Jedi and others who turn against them
    - Show us those who adore the Empire.
    - Show us more core worlds and a welcome Imperial presence.
    - Show us CIS holdouts and their defeat
    - Show us Imperial expansion to the outer reaches of the galaxy and the unprecedented military buildup to the scale of the OT.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd definitely like to see the early-Imperial time line explored onscreen.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Killing random no-name cartoon created Jedi off is one thing, but some of the characters were created to be just killed off - it would've been more meaningful if it was already an established character and there was a good 4 episode arc. Unfortunately we saw comic established Jedi like Ky Nerec and Tolm get killed off without any true storyline and just a few tiny appearance scenes. Sifo-dyas was another one.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  25. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I know right? That would be awesome. I started a thread on it in the Star Wars TV section.

Agreed. I thought we needed a lot more Jedi in Clone Wars as well. It was cool to see Aayla, Adia Gallia, Shaak Ti etc, but we needed more of them. Master Di was a nice touch, but agreed, it would feel better if we saw them in more episodes, rather than one off's.

Vorax likes this.