main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Even that twist is not really needed like BB or TDKR.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Regarding an earlier comment- Tony never saw the bald guy with Killian, only Happy did, thus couldn't make the Killian connection.

SHIELD has a file on everybody- doesn't mean they're going to do anything about it right away.

And the Ten Rings is the same group in all three films- they just have different groups in different countries (thus the different languages Yensin mentions in the first movie). Raza's was one group (one ring?), the Russians that helped Ivan was another, while the Mandarin was the oversight the entire time.

Vincent Vega Happy FTW, ha!

They address this in the film- they had to wait for the cranes to arrive at Stark's house and then wait for the cranes to clear away the debris that was on top of the Wine Cellar. Thats why as soon as the iris is clear of major debris, they're able to launch the House Party.

Rhodes mentions in the dinner something to the effect of "chasing down these terrorists isn't superhero business, it's American business".

Actually, Fury doesn't scramble his entire organization for Stark in IM2- you'll recall he's actually somewhat annoyed at having to intervene and outright states that Stark is "not the center of my universe" and that he has bigger things to deal with across town (the Hulk, etc).

Fury then drops off the cases at Stark's house and bugs out of there pretty quickly (not several days), leaving Coulson to watch Stark (and even he is busy enough with other matters that he misses Stark leaving the house).

The intended character arc/point of IM3 is intended to show that Tony's "powers" are not the suits so much as his intelligence. Others can operate them, but Tony is still smarter.

That's the plot to Ant-Man 2. ;)

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Many, many people were there and saw him in that hall, since Killian brought him out, then he is a member of AIM. It's easy for the government and the S.H.I.E.L.D to track who he is after he showed his power publicly without any disguise, twice.

That's extremely stupid for secret evil organization.

Then why didn't Raza's group try to kill Tony or let him help them on Extremis?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But how do we know for certain that Killian was connected to the Ten Rings group(s) from the other films? Was this covered in the prequel comic?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Many people saw him and Killian together at Stark Industries- but none of them ever saw him use his powers in public except for Happy (who ended up in a coma). And everyone else (including Tony) who saw the bald guy use his powers in public never saw him and Killian together (let alone [except for Tony] know who Killian even was) so it would be impossible for them to make the connection. And there was no recording of him using his powers so they wouldn't be able to ID him.

Extremis wasn't far enough along yet- they had no need of Tony's help because the human testing "misfire" glitches hadn't happened yet

And you'll recall that Raza's group was supposed to kill Tony, until Raza got some bigger ideas and ignored Stane's order. And Raza's group wouldn't have known about Extremis- different cell, different goals, etc.

But, regardless, Favareu and others have basically said it's the same group- that all those were building up to using the Mandarain.

On the subject of the franchise's longevity and future prospects...

We know Iron Man's rogue's gallery has been his weakest point as a franchise, with the Mandarin being the only real notable villain and the rest being variations of armored foes (though I would propose that the Living Laser would have a good deal of potential to shake things up a bit, as least from a powers perspective).

But, really, people have only cared about the Mandarin. He's not The Joker, but he is Iron Man's Joker. Problem is, even if you dig the twist in IM3, they've kinda screwed the pooch as far as the character (and what he represents) goes in the films.

So, the question is then where do you go for sequels? Well, there's obviously plenty of great stories that can be told in an Iron Man film, even if they lack strong supervillains. Using the modern run of Invincible Iron Man as a basis would be a great start (we've kinda covered a little of The Five Nightmares in IM3 already, but building to a Star Dissembled/Star Resilient storyline would be a solid foundation, with the Hammers (an Detroit Steel) making a good non-powered point of conflict).

Of course, that whole run builds up to the Mandarin's endgame with the true nature of his rings and the titanomechs. Which is a problem if the Mandarin is dead and never had his rings to begin with,

So, my theory? The next series of IM stand alone films will be focusing mostly on standalone stories while they begin to rebuild the Mandarin as a villain. But how? Well, assuming Killian is truly dead (and it's quite possible he regenerated and escaped), the "Mandarin" actor is still alive. Assuming the rings fall to Earth (maybe Thanos's fault?), what if the "actor" came upon those rings by accident (or design) and changes/influences him to the point where now the actor has truly become the role he used to play- the Mandarin?

Obviously, if Killian survived then the rings could just go to him and we're golden too.

But, anyways- build up to the Mandarin being reborn through the rings, and then things can come to a final head with the powered Mandarin facing Stark and we get our little save-the-world super climax to the series?

Not saying its going to happen- but they've certainly left the door open for the possibility.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Disney marketed the hell out this movie to little children. They've been plugging it hard on their channel. But really, it's too scary for little kids. The last bit is like the scariest segments of the Terminator movies. Come to think of it it, big chunks of the action are ripped off the carcass of the Terminator franchise.

Even so, the marketing ploy worked. A significant percentage of the weekend box office was family audiences, lured in by Disney's complete mastery of luring children.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Many people saw his face when he used his power both times, so the government would easily get his feature and his picture. They just need to post the picture of this guy publicly, then the people who saw him on Stark's hall would be able to identify him, then BOOM Killian's plan.

Just like a guy murdered someone publicly, even if those people never saw him before, he would be easily identified out.

How did Killian build the terrorist cells before the Extremis made effect? Where did his money and power come from?

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I just saw it. The two things that bugged me were SHIELD's disappearance and the Ten Rings continuity between the three films.

I could have forgiven the twist if the final stinger had been something like this:

Trevor is sitting in an interrogation cell. Someone comes in to relieve the guard there. It's a Ten Rings soldier. Trevor makes some stupid joke. And in walks the Mandarin looking exactly like Ben Kingsley.

The reason I say that is Trevor specifically mentioned plastic surgery. So what if Killian hadn't fully created the Mandarin, but instead based him off the real leader and perhaps the real leader wasn't called the Mandarin but instead went by his real name like Arnold Brock (the tv series alter ego). Or some other name.

At any rate, he thanks Trevor for the name and then kills him with one of his rings. That would likely have made a lot of fans much happier.

I just really hate the idea that Killian is behind the 10 Rings.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right- Killian rising out of the fiery wreckage was exactly like the T-800 doing the same at the end of T1. And it's hard not to make comparisons between the T-1000 and the Extremis Enhanciles healing capabilities.

As far as we know, no one took any photos of him, so there'd be no way to identify him (plus, you'll recall it was the female soldier who used her powers in public- he only fired a gun once or twice during the panic where people's eyes would be on the glowing technodemon-looking woman. He didn't use his powers until the watertower and junkyard fight, where they were apparently out of sight with no witnesses.

EDIT- Oh, that;s right, i forgot to ask- what happened to the exterior scenes of AIM? Didn't we have a photo a few months back of a building with a large Advanced Idea Mechanics sign out front? Or was that just for the Chinese scenes or something?

EDIT 2, here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We never see an actual "public" AIM facility in the film. Deleted scenes, I suppose?

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The police would ask for the scratch of his face and generate the picture out, many people saw him, the kid even stayed with him for a while. Remember the nation was facing terrorist attack, so they were fully alarmed and prepared. It's quite easy to generate the picture with so many witnesses.

No, before that he used the power to burn down the Water tank, both that kid and Tony saw him used the power after.

He was also knocked out for a while both times after the mess, there should be police or Security to come there and take a look of the situation. That's quite stupid that both times he got away.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But, again, there was no one around to see him burn the watertower down- he was out of sight except for Tony from the backdoor alley.

And, again, it wouldn't matter that Tony or the kid saw his face, because neither had seen him with Killian before.

And, sure, a police sketch could probably be made based on the handful of witnesses, but I don't think it'd be accurate enough to say "Its that guy with Killian!", especially if Killian just had him stay out of sight after the sketch showed up in the news. (and given that he could keep the Mandarin out of sight in Miami, I think its safe to say he could do the same for the shaved head guy,

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    There were still two witnesses, and the police should have come when such mess happened. It's quite a plot hole that how did he get away twice after got knocked out.

There were many people who saw him fight with Happy, the explosion didn't kill them all since even Happy survived.

They don't need to know it, they just need to provide their information to the police, then those who saw him would identify him out for being in the hall and walked out with Killian, and since Killian paid Pepper a visit, there is more evidence.

There is no effect to hide him away, nobody knew the Mandarin was working with AIM, but that guy is a member of AIM and could be confirmed because of the visit Killian paid Pepper. Once this is confirmed, then that means AIM is connected with terrorism, especially the explosion and the helicopters that attacked Tony. Killian's plan would be ruined for sure.

13. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Yes, deleted scenes. Speaking of which...most of the Mandarin's lines in the trailer are absent from the final movie.

Oh and...the other thing that bothers me now that I think about it....
    1. JARVIS can control every single suit in Tony's arsenal at the same time.
    2. Every suit he has built since The Avengers is seen to be fully operational.
    3. Tony practically gives The Mandarin the middle finger and blasts his home address across the national media.

Then why the hell does Tony not get JARVIS to activate all 40 of the suits as soon as the bloody helicopters arrive and shoot them down? Would have been a lot easier than putting Pepper and himself on the brink of death.

Perhaps he's looking for a cash in before moving permanently to the New York tower....

"Uh..yeah...Stark here....yeah...about that policy I took out a few years ago...."

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Also why did Killian choose use helicopters to attack his home?

He needs that pretty scientist for his research but that missile nearly killed her.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Tony simply assumed he wouldn't NEED 40 suits to defend his house. He probably assumed he had air superiority and would have to just concern himself with a ground attack by some minions (as he assumed the Mandarin was overseas).

And, yeah, there's a lot from the trailers not in the film (like the "backup" exchange between Tony and Rhodes). But I think a lot of that was just alternate takes to choose from ("say these scary lines for the Mandarin and we'll choose which ones to use in this video in the film").

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a subplot or two that got trimmed down in the final cut.

EDIT-
    the helicopters were disguised as newschoppers, which allowed them to get close without arousing suspicions.

Killian didn't know she was at Stark's house (and she didn't know Killian was going to blow it up).

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Actually that was partly explained....
    He didn't realize she was there. Remember...during the basement scene later in the movie, he asked why she was at Stark's place.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    He asks her what she was doing there later--i.e. he didn't know she was there.

It was the hotel room scene, not the basement scene.

18. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Like the Vice President.....

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    What else needed to be expounded upon for the vice president's subplot?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that in particular sticks out to me as having been trimmed (though, to be fair, it seems they did a very effective job of cutting it down to the essentials of what that plotline needed perfectly, which is just good editing).

I also suspect there's more Pepper/Maya scenes because they kind of vanish for a stretch in the film, as if waiting for Tony to discover something first before allowing their plotline to resume.

Oh, and the female Enhancile that captures Rhodey- I think she was on Lost, no? Kinda seems like she was meant to have another scene after that, but she didn't have a particularly noticable role or moment in the end battle...

(and, obviously, the Chinese scenes with Dr Wu, but those don't count)

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So are you saying

Killian didn't keep an eye on someone who's very very important on his project and knew he was doing those experiments, let her run freely to Tony without even knowing it?

WOW, that's just extremely stupid.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Well...
    Trever the Mandarin says that the Vice President is involved in the entire plot. But...we only get two or three scenes with Miguel Ferrer, each one only lasting about 30 seconds or so....but we don't know any more than "he's involved". That's it. ,

I'd kind of like to know his motivation in the whole thing. How does a guy go from wanting to heal a little girl's lost leg to assassinating the President? That's a pretty big leap and I'm sure there were a few scenes that fleshed him out a bit, and made him an actual character instead of a human prop.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, he kept a close enough of an eye on her to bring her in almost right afterwards.

24. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Not necessarily..... his plan was
    to use Maya to get to Pepper. He just didn't realize she was going to Stark's actual house to do it.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I assumed that was his daughter. "Do as I say and you'll be President and your daughter will walk again." type deal

"Is there anything you would not do, for your family?"

wait, wrong summer movie...

JoinTheSchwarz and Juliet316 like this.