main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, the people I was with started asking about how many people usually work on a film this big when we saw that particular WOT. It awed us all into silence for a moment or two. Then we went back to trying to pick out the various ethnicities of the people listed, 'cause lol.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alright, you heard the man, people- wrap it up, we gotta lock this thread! ;)

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    thank goodness

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But I wanted to discuss who the gaffer was for the movie!!

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    But the problem is their whole plot is about

the villain who wanted to control US and the terrorists, therefore he should keep many of his moves as quiet as possible, just like Palpatine.

Most of the exciting scenes should be avoided by the villain but instead he and his minions made it big BOOM BOOM, which is retarded.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That Man-Thing connection I did not catch. Very cool. That and the F1 art.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, my son and I saw Iron Man 3 yesterday afternoon and loved it. I thought it was better than Iron Man 1 and 2, and pretty much on par with The Avengers; maybe not quite as good, but close. Will probably want to post more thoughts later, but will do so when I can mess with spoiler tags so as not to ruin anything for anyone who still hasn't seen it. :p Or is this thread safe for spoilers now that it's out everywhere?

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That was cool. My only exposure to Man-Thing(lol) was in the Master Of Kung Fu comics in the black and white Marvel Comics Presents magazines. "Whoever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch!"

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That list is missing the "President Ellis" as a nod to Warren Ellis, who wrote Extremis, upon which the film is based.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, just curious...

Do we think that Tony got Extremis as a method of having the heart surgery and that's how he'll return? It wasn't explicitly stated one way or the other, but I can't see them Real Steel-ing Iron Man for Avengers 2...

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think he got it.

There's an interesting point made below that article:
    the female Extremis agent "Ellen Brandt" had a facial scar thing going on, but shouldn't that have been healed by the Extremis?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Man-Thing wound > Extremis regenerative ability?

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That works. It ain't no regular scar.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Saw this yesterday. I think my final take is this: enjoyable Summer action flick, but one I have trouble enjoying within the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. I mean ... The action scenes were good, the one-liners were fantastic, and the 3-D some of the best I've seen. Yet, it all felt lacking, like it should have been more.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That's a good description. I think the problem was that Tony went from fighting Aliens and Gods to fighting another tech badguy. And despite all the build up of Tony being reduced to back to basics and needing to be more than just the suit, he never seems to be in real danger. He never seems to be unable to handle what's coming. Sure he's surprised at certain points, but there's never a point in the movie where I thought the villian would succeed. And in the back of your mind, you're wondering where SHIELD was as well as the other Avengers who aren't Thor. Between them and Rhodes and Pepper, Tony has too strong of a support system that if he needed help, he could get it.

Honestly, if the movie had lived up to the story the trailer was hinting at, where the Mandarin was actually testing Tony and trying to destroy him as hero, it would have been better. Honestly, I think looking back, perhaps Happy should have died. The hospital stay certainly was a good motivator, but maybe Happy's death would have given the menace of the Mandarin a bit more impact. I despised Coulson's 'death', but it did solidify Loki as a true threat and presented us with a reminder that while these heroes were strong, aside from Thor, they were all mortals and Thor, as powerful as he was, couldn't save Phil from Loki.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I do lament the lack of the "Lesson Number One: Heroes? There's no such thing." concept.

Seemed to be the perfect idea following Avengers, as if to say there'll be consequences to such heroics.

It's actually why I was surprised at the order of events in the film versus what the trailers implied (at least to me, so, granted, this is not a universal perception):

I was certain the plot would be "Mandarin attacks Air Force One, but Tony-in-new-suit saves the day, foiling the plot" followed by Mandarin attacking his house as retribution for his interference, as if to squash such heroics. Leading to Tony on the run, building up to the big House Party finale takedown of the Mandarin.

That order of events would have supported that theme much better, had it been present.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

So...her facial scar was caused by a Giant-Size Man-Thing...

[face_tee_hee]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not even when
    Killian is cutting apart whatever suit he's in, or is about to kill him?

21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I was expecting that too.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Nope. Because did you notice how perfectly Tony moved out of the way each time or detached the armor from his leg at the exact moment? He had an entire wardrobe circling around him that always caught him at just the right moment. And let's assume Killian did amputate him,we've already seen limbs regenerate thanks to extremis. So once Tony wins, he could just inject himself with it.

Also, I'm now convinced
    Tony has extremis. Otherwise Iron Man 2 makes even less sense. If he could simply remove the shrapnel, why not just do that in Iron Man 2 instead of creating an entirely new element?! The only thing that makes sense is that Tony would not survive if he'd been operated on then. But with extremis, where his body repairs itself (including that giant gaping hole in his chest!) it makes sense.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually the kidnap is super stupid, how could they not check Iron Patriot when he was going to go with the President, after so many terrorist attacks happened it was made clear that they want to kill the President?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not if he's, you know, dead.

The fact that Pepper had to save him showed he was in real danger.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why did he send the bald guy to be Iron Patriot? If they check on his face and he would be exposed.