main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am making an Imperial Rank bar.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by _Mike_, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    Does anyone know what an Imperial Navy Liutenant Captain's rank bar looks like? Also, what is the easiest and/or cheapest way to make one?

EDIT: Liutenant Commander, I ment :p

sg edit -- unlocking

2. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/insignia/officer.html#ranks

If you go down to Styles it is Class 3, Rank 3.

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    When you find out how to do the actual colored parts, you let me know :)

You definitely want to make the back out of aluminum though. Painted plastic tends to look cheap. Also, it's barely visible, but the double rank bars are not on a solid piece of metal, but rather two pieces. So each row is on a seperate piece of metal.

Check out this sight: Ranks Measurments

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I use picture-glazing grade plexiglas cut and filed to the correct size & shape for the rectangular pieces.
    I paint several coats of acryllic paint on the pieces and them several coats of clear finish. I use the same material for the base, but cover the plexiglas with aluminum.

5. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Like Aluminum foil or like a layer kinda like the consistancy of a soda can?

6. Bama_Trooper

Bama_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I did the same for the colored rectangles, painted plastic pieces, and used aluminum foil tape to cover the plastic for the backplate piece. Look at the HW store where duct tape, or duct work parts are sold..

-Bamatrooper
    TK-152

7. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Ok, *decides to see if he has anything to cut this plexi with*

8. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Ok, I am going to the hardware store and the hobby shop around here, thanks for all the help!

9. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    The aluminum I used is aluminum flashing from the hardware store. I have a big roll left from a gargage repair project.
    Aluminum foil is to shiney & thin. It won't lie very flat.
    I used a plexiglass cutter to score & snap the pieces. THe picture-grade plexi is very thick, ~3/16" - 1/4" and is difficult to get precise cuts. I usually end up rejecting half of what I cut because it is not even enough. You could use a saw maybe. I tried using my Dremel, but the cutting bits got too hot and melted the plastic.

10. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    heh, I'm trying out the Aluminum tape. My mum said she ahd some sort of saw, (i have to wait till tommorow morning to use it :p)I just bought the cheapest plexi-type-stuff I could find. I got maybe a 1' x 1 1/2' piece ( 1/8" thick) It was $2.00 so thats cool. I was just mad at the price of the paint.... the stuff is freaking 2.50 or so a bottle. well the tape was alot too, 9.99. I guess I gotta get used to spending money if I'm gunna be a costme-er

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    For this small a project, a saw would be very hard to use. Generaly for cutting palstic, the store recommends a jig-saw, but you would probably have a tough time holding the pieces you wanted down. I made a case for a lightsabr I built and, using the finest-tooth blade available, it still melted the corners and at the very end of the piece would often snap the corner.

And from the page I posted, the rank symbols are only supposed to be 1/8" but I think that may be too thin.

*runs off to the hardware store*

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I know that this has nothing to do with making a rank bar, but i found this site that gives images of the awards and medal tabs worn by both the rebels and the imperials.

Medals

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    huh. That's pretty cool. I wonder what their sources are.

14. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Ok, this, being my first rank bar, is going to be a bit crappy. I went a little too fast with the jigsaw and melted the sides of the plexi.... next time I will either find a plexi cutter, or go much, much slower.... I am now waiting for the paint on the rectangles to dry.

15. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    The melted parts should just snap off. You could also have probably lightly sanded the melted parts off. Oh well, next time :)

I wouldn't suggest going slower with the saw unless you have both side very secure or it'll vibrate so much that you'll end up cracking it.

I think I am going to try scoring mine with an Xacto knife.

16. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Heh, I don't mean like a slow speed. I mean like go an inch, stop and wait for the blade to cool. Yea, I tried to score the rectangles with a box cutter... it didn't work so well.... Maybe I should try one of those Miracle Blades :p. Well, all in all... the Jig Saw is good for the backing... just not good for the small pieces. I still have plenty of plexi to make a new one...

Does anyone have a link to where you can get those LED covers that seem to work great for the Rectangles?

Here's some pics of how it turned out.
    [image=http://www.evula.org/ifire/imp1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.evula.org/ifire/imp2.jpg]

EDIT: You can see where on the paint I touched it... I should have waited like a day to let it dry :D

(I forgot to turn on Close-Up on my camera so they may appear a little blurry.)

17. JediMistressDragon

JediMistressDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 1999
    I emailed you how to make a beteer squares things--using Friendly Plastic (and you don't have to paint them!). That's how we made ours--and you get them at any old craft store. Friendly plastic--a costumer's friend.
    JMD
    PS By the way, we made the blank pin part out of a cookie sheet metal, cheap one from Walmart.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    What's friendly plastic???

I'm also working on an Imperial rank. I have to cut out 12 squares and I'm just scoring some plexiglass. After 45 minutes I got one square out!!! [face_plain]

For the backing I just went to Home Depot and got a length of 1" x 1/8" aluminum and cut out two sections, rounded the edges, then used JB Weld to connect them. The metal was slightly marked and scuffed, which makes it look worn, which looks really cool and authentic. :)

19. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    wanna real cheap way to make these thats real easy too.

go buy some gum, the kind that comes in little blisters on a card, most chicklet type gum comes this way now. remove the gum and detach unwanted blisters. clean the plastic well and paint each blister red or blue. and fill it with plastercene or something else (dont use the gum) then cover the back with glue and cover with tin foil, then use pieces of velcro to connect it to your uniform. this dosent look bad and ive worn a paintball uniform that had these. -Dan

20. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Hello fellow Imperial Officer fans.

At school, I have access to materials such as: Band saw, a whole range of plastics, Wall mounted sander, and lots of Tensol cement (glue). I can try my hand at making some Imperial officer rank bars, and if successful, I will consider actually making these to order. School starts tomorrow (2nd September) so I will have a go at making some (or just posting a few on Ebay). If I can make any good results, I'll post the Images. Please, no offers yet since I don't have any idea as to how they turn out.

21. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Hey, *is lazy* are there any places I could get the whole Imperial uniform for free.... School presents a 'nice' hinderance to sewing time....

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    ummm, not likely. You may be able to find someone to sew it up for you, if you ask really nicely and get to know the person for a few years, then slip in that you need a favor, but you would still have to buy the cloth, boots, belt, hat, and make a rank bar. And this isn't an attack on you personally, but if you really want to get the costume done, you'll find the time, be it on weekends or even an hour between studying. Believe me, I'm an Aerospace Engineering student and I know time is precious and basically non-existent, but I always manage to slip in at least half an hour a week. You'd be suprised at how much you can get done. Good luck :)

23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query. :)

24. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Would colored glass work for the rectangle bits? My wife is pretty handy with a glass cutter, and it seems like glass would be comparable to plastic, if a little heavier. Clear glass painted may work, too.

25. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I don't see why not, and it might look pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.